The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 02, 2009, 11:33am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I don't know that it *indicates* a lack of ... skills, but there is a stron correlation with the lack of ... skills, assuming the game was a scholastic game at a higher level than Frosh (the specific levels vary by area).
All I can say is the folks around here are out of luck because we pretty much
ALL arrive in uniform. On the day in question I was relating the discussion on this subject to my partner. We agreed that if we arrived wearing ties people would assume we had been to a funeral.

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Jan 02, 2009, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

I would call a T for no other reason than to avoid being seen as a coward by "veteran" officials.
Old Fri Jan 02, 2009, 12:40pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
I would call a T for no other reason than to avoid being seen as a coward by "veteran" officials.

ROFLMAO!! By the way, do you officiating skills reflect your username?

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Jan 02, 2009, 12:50pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
All I can say is the folks around here are out of luck because we pretty much
ALL arrive in uniform. On the day in question I was relating the discussion on this subject to my partner. We agreed that if we arrived wearing ties people would assume we had been to a funeral.

just another ref:

It would be unheard of in Ohio for a school not to provide the game officials a dressing room even for a JrHS basketball game.

But, when I officiated H.S. and college ball in Miami, Florida, in the mid-70's (Billy, that is 1970's, ) the H.S.'s in the Greater Miami Athletic Conference (it stills exists; it is made up of all of the public H.S.'s and only the largest Catholic schools, of which there is only one or two) never provided a dressing room for the officials. Jr. varsity and varsity officials were expected to arrive at the game ready to walk onto the court to officiate and then sit at the Scorer's Table at halftime. This is one official that refused that kind of treatment from the schools, I guess it was because I started officiating in Ohio before I went to college in Miami and I wasn't about to be treated like a bum.

AD's would get the deer caught in the headligts look when I would walk into their school with my officiating bag in hand. They would tell that it was unheard of for an official to be provded with a dressing room and a place to go at halfime. But the slowly game around I guess, but I have since talked with officials from Dade County and nobody goes to a game dressed to officiate.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Jan 02, 2009, 01:11pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Levity? That's when a person is magically lifted off the ground? Maybe you could have used that to get that coach off the court.
Sorry, but you've got the wrong definition.

I looked it up once when I was dressing in the coach's office.
Old Fri Jan 02, 2009, 01:14pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignats75 View Post
So your judgement is that you would rectify a problem that was caused by your mistake with a Technical Foul?
Question: Have you ever called a T for 6 players on the court? If so, you're argument is shot full of holes.

I disagree that the official caused this problem. Could they have prevented it? Sure, but they did not cause it. There's a huge difference here.

Does it not matter that the coach was not signaling?
Old Fri Jan 02, 2009, 01:31pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Sorry, but you've got the wrong definition.

I looked it up once when I was dressing in the coach's office.
The coach had a dictionary? Cool! Today, a dictionary.....tomorrow, maybe a rule book.

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Jan 02, 2009, 01:33pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
The coach had a dictionary? Cool! Today, a dictionary.....tomorrow, maybe a rule book.
I've actually seen rule books in coach's offices. Normally they're about 2 or 3 years old, but you gotta give them credit for trying.

Although I've heard rumors of one coach around here that knows just enough to be a PITA.
Old Fri Jan 02, 2009, 01:35pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
I've actually seen rule books in coach's offices. Normally they're about 2 or 3 years old, but you gotta give them credit for trying.

Although I've heard rumors of one coach around here that knows just enough to be a PITA.
The coach is a piece of bread? Still smarter than some coaches.

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Jan 02, 2009, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Question: Have you ever called a T for 6 players on the court? If so, you're argument is shot full of holes.

I disagree that the official caused this problem. Could they have prevented it? Sure, but they did not cause it. There's a huge difference here.

Does it not matter that the coach was not signaling?
Thankfully, in 6 years, I have never had that pleasure. Probably because back when I was on the darkside (CYO Coach) I was victimized by it. So I tend to be a fanatic about that.
Old Fri Jan 02, 2009, 02:07pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Thankfully, in 6 years, I have never had that pleasure. Probably because back when I was on the darkside (CYO Coach) I was victimized by it. So I tend to be a fanatic about that.
Victimized? How?

I've called exactly one.
Old Fri Jan 02, 2009, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

What, you trying to open an old scab? LOL

I subbed a player. The Lead administered the throw-in before the substituted player left the floor. TRAIL didn't want to assess the T. LEAD said they had to. It was the only T I ever got coaching.
Old Fri Jan 02, 2009, 02:25pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
What, you trying to open an old scab? LOL

I subbed a player. The Lead administered the throw-in before the substituted player left the floor. TRAIL didn't want to assess the T. LEAD said they had to. It was the only T I ever got coaching.
Wow! That's just one official who didn't know the rule or its purpose. This is a case where the official did cause the action, and still penalized when they shouldn't have.
Old Fri Jan 02, 2009, 09:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So your judgement is that you would rectify a problem that was caused by your mistake with a Technical Foul?
I didn't make a mistake. Making sure each team has 5 players is not one of my duties, it is the teams' jobs to make sure they have the correct number of players. Same goes for lining up correctly for free throws. It's not the official's job to get everyone in the correct spot. Saying that the official cause one of those problems by not making sure everything was correct before administering the throw in/free throw is never correct.
Old Fri Jan 02, 2009, 09:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDUB View Post
I didn't make a mistake. Making sure each team has 5 players is not one of my duties, it is the teams' jobs to make sure they have the correct number of players.

You mean you don't make sure the teams are set before you adminster a throw-in?????? WTF????? That may be the most asinine and ridiculous thing I have ever read hear. You don't resume play unless the teams are set. Players don't come in unless you or your partner beckon them in. You and your partner better not admin a throw-in until you are sure the same number went off as you beckoned on.

If an assignor around here knew that was your attitude and you had a T for 6 players, you would've worked your last high school game for about 300 square miles.