The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 31, 2008, 08:02am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
OT - Player sets unwanted record with three-second dismissal

LONDON, Dec 29 (Reuters) - A player with English minor league club Chippenham Town has set a record for the fastest-red card in senior soccer when he was sent off for a wild tackle three seconds after kickoff, British media reported on Monday.

Striker David Pratt, 21, was dismissed in a Southern Premier League game against Bashley on Saturday.

The previous fastest sending-off is generally accepted to be 10 seconds for Bologna’s Giuseppe Lorenzo after he struck an opponent in a 1990 Italian league game.

English soccer’s previous “best” was 13 seconds when Sheffield Wednesday goalkeeper Kevin Pressman handled outside his box in a game in 2000.

Also in 2000 an English amateur player, Lee Todd, was sent off after two seconds when he responded to the referee’s whistle to start the game by saying “xxxx me, that was loud” and was dismissed for foul and abusive language.

Ever T or toss someone real early like this? (Besides a coach for over hearing his nasty, vulgar pre-game pep talk of course).
Old Wed Dec 31, 2008, 09:44am
This IS My Social Life

OT - A Quicker Red Card?

Off-Topic, but Since You Asked . . .
I played soccer back in the 70's with the first team for our local German sport club. Annually we'd travel to Chicago for a tournament. All ethnic clubs, the Liths, the Serbs, the Croats, etc. All great, official teams from neighborhood clubs on the south side of Chicago. We'd beat each others brains in on the field, then all gather for lots of beer in the evening at one or the other's ethnic clubhouse (bar) for some good social mixing, fun, and frivolity.
We had this one guy on our team, Otto, who was, as he claimed, an avowed Nazi. Really. He read "Mein Kampf" on the way to away games. Really.
Anyhow, at one Chicago tourney during warmups I heard him mention that this one guy on the other team looked "way too Jewish for me." I didn't think anything of it, just the ravings of a guys who didn't seem quite right most of the time anyway.
At the opening whistle, he sprints about three yards across the line and just nails that guy with a fist in the face. Had to be less than three seconds, and he was out of the game.
Goofy. But he was a pretty good midfielder for an older guy. I think he got kicked off the team and kicked out of the club entirely, if I remember right. Deservedly so.
Old Wed Dec 31, 2008, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Hey I LOVE soccer as much as anyone! Ref it and used to coach it. But shouldn't this be on that forum rather than the basketball?
Old Wed Dec 31, 2008, 12:24pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev View Post
Hey I LOVE soccer as much as anyone! Ref it and used to coach it. But shouldn't this be on that forum rather than the basketball?
I was trying to use this story as an interesting example and wondered, (in my last sentence) to my basketball brethren - "Have you ever T'd or tossed anyone really quick like this?"
Old Wed Dec 31, 2008, 12:27pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
I was trying to use this story as an interesting example and wondered, (in my last sentence) to my basketball brethren - "Have you ever T'd or tossed anyone really quick like this?"
Does before the game starts count?
Old Wed Dec 31, 2008, 12:45pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev View Post
Maybe, but that's what makes the "OT" qualifier appropriate.
Old Wed Dec 31, 2008, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Also in 2000 an English amateur player, Lee Todd, was sent off after two seconds when he responded to the referee’s whistle to start the game by saying “xxxx me, that was loud” and was dismissed for foul and abusive language.
I read that article last night and when I got to this paragraph I about lost it. I don't know why this struck me as so funny, but it killed me!
Old Wed Dec 31, 2008, 01:04pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I had a PGEJ once before umpiring a baseball game. Long story, but the coach never saw the first pitch.
Old Wed Dec 31, 2008, 02:09pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I had a PGEJ once before umpiring a baseball game. Long story, but the coach never saw the first pitch.
Was it a case of "Hey skip, can I see your lineup card there? OK thanks...you're gone."
Old Wed Dec 31, 2008, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

"Also in 2000 an English amateur player, Lee Todd, was sent off after two seconds when he responded to the referee’s whistle to start the game by saying “xxxx me, that was loud” and was dismissed for foul and abusive language."

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc7 View Post
I read that article last night and when I got to this paragraph I about lost it. I don't know why this struck me as so funny, but it killed me!
While I found it amusing, it is also sad because the dismissal was incorrect and uncalled for.

A simple caution or word with the player is all that was needed in that situation. Perhaps even a wry smile or a laugh would have been best.

From the USSF Advice to Referees:

12.31 EVALUATING LANGUAGE
The referee should judge offensive, insulting, or abusive language according to its content (the specific
words or actions used), the extent to which the language can be heard by others beyond the immediate
vicinity of the player, and whether the language is directed at officials, opponents, or teammates. In
evaluating language as misconduct, the referee must take into account the particular circumstances in
which the actions occurred and deal reasonably with language that was clearly the result of a
momentary emotional outburst.
Referees must take care not to inject purely personal opinions as to the nature of the language when
determining a course of action. The referee's primary focus must be on the effective management of
the match and the players in the context of the overall feel for the Spirit of the Game.
Old Wed Dec 31, 2008, 05:17pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Thumbs up

Well, at least it was not another thread on a 3 second calls in the NBA.
Old Wed Dec 31, 2008, 05:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Grunewar,
Part of the reason that I ask this is that in the past two weeks I've posted about 3 related soccer officiating incidents or references to soccer on this forum only to find that they had mysteriously disappeared after they were posted. Just curious as to why that is the case and where thet went??????