The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

2man Technical Question

In 2 man, during a Technical foul. You have the one official opposite the table at half court with the 9 players. The other official and the shooter go to shoot the T. Where does the official administer the ball from? The baseline or the side of the shooter?
From the baseline- who are you watching you have no one in the lane for a violation?
From the side of the shooter- you have the only possible person,the shooter, for a violation?
Either way the official has to shag down a missed shot.
I was at a 3man camp geared for getting to the next level. I asked several current DI officials, they were back and forth on it. No one really had an answer.
Which one is correct? Where is it in the book?
Veterans please dust off the ole memory banks for this one.
Thanks gang- Happy Holidays
Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 10:56pm
This IS My Social Life

Deja Vu All Over Again

QUOTE: "at half court with the 9 players"

Have I entered the Deja Vu sector of the Twilight Zone or something?

I am, however, looking forward to the responses to the heart of the question.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to shishstripes
I always administer from the end-line just like any other FT in the lead position although I do move up to the block table-side.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 11:30pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

As the T (or C), I'll stand a little higher than normal since all of my players are above the 3 pt. line and FT line extended.
As L, I'll stand on the bottom block, keeping an eye on the back 9.
Old Wed Dec 24, 2008, 12:30am
Official Forum Member

What? I am going to bed and will check back in the morning. I am surprised by the simple fact based answers to this post . . . so far.
Old Wed Dec 24, 2008, 12:37am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch85 View Post
What? I am going to bed and will check back in the morning. I am surprised by the simple fact based answers to this post . . . so far.
Why shocked? Everything I've read so far in the above posts is correct and accurate.
Old Wed Dec 24, 2008, 12:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
Why shocked? Everything I've read so far in the above posts is correct and accurate.
Yep. Not shocked just confused.
Old Wed Dec 24, 2008, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

FTs for a T are administered just as any other FT. So, L is on the end-line and T is above the FT line. If there are (or could be) problems, T can move -- just as s/he would if this was a FT in the last seconds with only the two B players on the lane and the other 7 setting up near half court, etc.
Old Wed Dec 24, 2008, 09:41am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
FTs for a T are administered just as any other FT. So, L is on the end-line and T is above the FT line. If there are (or could be) problems, T can move -- just as s/he would if this was a FT in the last seconds with only the two B players on the lane and the other 7 setting up near half court, etc.
I might be spoiled. In my area, 95% of the kids just "know" to go to half-court when there is a T. I don't tell them otherwise.

So, when they go to half-court, usually the T goes to near half as well to stay with the players.
Old Wed Dec 24, 2008, 10:04am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
That's why he is shocked.
Old Wed Dec 24, 2008, 12:20pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch85 View Post
Yep. Not shocked just confused.
What were you expecting?
Old Wed Dec 24, 2008, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
What were you expecting?
A remake of the Rule #11 involving the division line for T's. It seems like it has been referenced in several threads over the last few days. Anyway, I'm glad this thread didn't go that direction so lets just ignore my post and keep going.
Old Wed Dec 24, 2008, 11:50pm
Official Forum Member

Warning, what follows is pure blasphemy.

Here's what I prefer. The L administers the free throw from the baseline, and he watches the shooter. You don't need or want both officials focused on one player. The T moves back to where he can most effectively watch the other nine players. If there's been trouble, he might even want to be right in the middle of them, talking to players and making his presence known.

IMHO, consistency for consistency's sake between regular free throws and technical/intentional/flagrant foul free throws doesn't make sense. Regular free throw coverage is a compromise that allows the crew to watch seven players on the lane for violations and fouls, and try to keep an eye on the other three, and then be prepared for potential rebounding action. Very little of that applies to T/I/F foul free throws. In these cases, the crew should consider who/what needs to be covered and put themselves in the most advantageous position to do it.

OTOH, don't deviate from standard coverage just to be different. If the best way to cover a particular T/I/F free throw is to be in regular free throw positions, then go there. Just don't both officials be focused only on the shooter.
Old Thu Dec 25, 2008, 01:38am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
Warning, what follows is pure blasphemy.

Here's what I prefer. The L administers the free throw from the baseline, and he watches the shooter. You don't need or want both officials focused on one player. The T moves back to where he can most effectively watch the other nine players. If there's been trouble, he might even want to be right in the middle of them, talking to players and making his presence known.

IMHO, consistency for consistency's sake between regular free throws and technical/intentional/flagrant foul free throws doesn't make sense. Regular free throw coverage is a compromise that allows the crew to watch seven players on the lane for violations and fouls, and try to keep an eye on the other three, and then be prepared for potential rebounding action. Very little of that applies to T/I/F foul free throws. In these cases, the crew should consider who/what needs to be covered and put themselves in the most advantageous position to do it.

OTOH, don't deviate from standard coverage just to be different. If the best way to cover a particular T/I/F free throw is to be in regular free throw positions, then go there. Just don't both officials be focused only on the shooter.
OKay, let's see if I can shorten this up for you:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
As the T (or C), I'll stand a little higher than normal since all of my players are above the 3 pt. line and FT line extended.
As L, I'll stand on the bottom block, keeping an eye on the back 9.

Merry Christmas, BITS.
Old Thu Dec 25, 2008, 01:41am
Official Forum Member

99% of the time, as the T I'll be at midcourt, with the other 9. At L I'll be at the baseline, watching the shooter and not paying much attention to the other 9.