The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 12:27am
Official Forum Member

2man baseline postion

had a problem tonight...im baseline watching a low post player who is a large/wide body...ive got a great angle and look at everything but ball comes in to him at low post makes a great move toward the basket and I lose the defender because this body is WIDE cannot see any contact and if there was any he doesn"t move...he complains that he is getting hit and I do believe he is but I cannot see it...I know enough that the trail has to pick up on anything from behind but i'm looking for any body contact and any strafing of the arms...question is how do you position yourself for this type of situation? I thought if the play allowed me to take a step across the baseline facing the rim would that be considered ok if it gave me a better look at the defender?
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 12:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloverdale
had a problem tonight...im baseline watching a low post player who is a large/wide body...ive got a great angle and look at everything but ball comes in to him at low post makes a great move toward the basket and I lose the defender because this body is WIDE cannot see any contact and if there was any he doesn"t move...he complains that he is getting hit and I do believe he is but I cannot see it...I know enough that the trail has to pick up on anything from behind but i'm looking for any body contact and any strafing of the arms...question is how do you position yourself for this type of situation? I thought if the play allowed me to take a step across the baseline facing the rim would that be considered ok if it gave me a better look at the defender?
If you have room work deeper...farther back from the endline...and take a step down and back when the post makes his move, that should open you up more.
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 07:18am
Official Forum Member

I would stay more closed down toward the lane. I don't like getting deeper because you don't always have room to do that. I work two person as the lead almost just like three person but without the rotations.
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I thought if the play allowed me to take a step across the baseline facing the rim would that be considered ok if it gave me a better look at the defender?
I'm reading this to say that you want to go inbounds to look at this paly. If so, then, no, that would not be okay.

If the hit is on the side away from the rim, then T has to get it. No matter how deep you get, there is some spot where A's body will be between you and the "hit".
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef
I would stay more closed down toward the lane. I don't like getting deeper because you don't always have room to do that. I work two person as the lead almost just like three person but without the rotations.
You should consider going across as lead, even in two-person. (That doesn't force a "rotation" of course -- L has to move back across when teh situation dictates or the ball goes the other way)
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
You should consider going across as lead, even in two-person. (That doesn't force a "rotation" of course -- L has to move back across when teh situation dictates or the ball goes the other way)
I do work strong side mechanics with good post play. The trail needs to work hard to help officiate the post on his side.
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

I agree it is OK to cross over to "ball side". You will get a better look. Remember to keep "reffing " the players as you move across. I usually bring this up in pregame so partner knows I will do this and i will come back across on transition.
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 12:01am
Official Forum Member

thanks for reply's

didnt know it was an accepted practice to cross over to other side in a 2 man...never seen this or brought up in camps...interesting that it doesnt prompt a switch with the trail...does this make a difference if im already ball side?
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 12:03am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
didnt know it was an accepted practice to cross over to other side in a 2 man...never seen this or brought up in camps...interesting that it doesnt prompt a switch with the trail...does this make a difference if im already ball side?
The trail can't go across the court, so the L will go across and then go back if the ball goes the other way.
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 02:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You should find a better quality camp. "Flexing", as it is known in many areas, is quite common.
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If L is already ball side, L shouldnt' go across.

In general, L should go across if the ball and the post player are opposite (and the post player is trying to set up to get an entry pass)