The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 20, 2004, 07:27pm
Official Forum Member

lost my officials manuel brain lock, whats the proper postion between quarters, opposite table 28ft area? same as start of game?
Old Sat Nov 20, 2004, 08:01pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by roadking
lost my officials manuel brain lock, whats the proper postion between quarters, opposite table 28ft area? same as start of game?
60 seconds --> blocks
Old Sat Nov 20, 2004, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

thanks

Old Sun Nov 21, 2004, 06:09pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
60 seconds --> blocks

With the R/T on the blocks in the backcourt of the team who has the AP Arrow to start the period.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Nov 21, 2004, 07:58pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Quote:
Quote:
60 seconds --> blocks

With the R/T on the blocks in the backcourt of the team who has the AP Arrow to start the period.

MTD, Sr.

YU.P., YU.P.
Old Sun Nov 21, 2004, 08:04pm
Official Forum Member

Standing Position

What happens if you want to talk about a play with your partner. Can you both stand together? and where on the floor??
Old Sun Nov 21, 2004, 08:22pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb Re: Standing Position

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Dow
What happens if you want to talk about a play with your partner. Can you both stand together? and where on the floor??
No special place, David.

If your partner is already in position and you have something to say, you may jog to him, or start to jog to him. If he notices you wanna talk, he should be kind enough to leave his position to save you a few steps.

If your discussion take up the entire dead ball time you should then go notify your repsective huddles from there.

If your discussion ends in time, jog to the blocks and be prepared to notify the huddles from the blocks.
mick
Old Sun Nov 21, 2004, 08:26pm
Administrator

Mick:

I forgot one other detail. The T should hold the ball on his hip that siginifies the direction of the throw-in.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Nov 21, 2004, 08:37pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Mick:

I forgot one other detail. The T should hold the ball on his hip that siginifies the direction of the throw-in.

MTD, Sr.
Good call, Mark T.
And, I know you didn't forget that.
mick

Old Mon Nov 22, 2004, 01:37am
Official Forum Member

So that I might better understand this procedure of where we're standing during breaks I'd love to have it explained.

Why the difference in position on a 60 versus a 30 sec timeout? Is there an advantage that being on the arc gives you in a 30 second T/O?

Just curious.

Old Mon Nov 22, 2004, 06:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul LeBoutillier
So that I might better understand this procedure of where we're standing during breaks I'd love to have it explained.

Why the difference in position on a 60 versus a 30 sec timeout? Is there an advantage that being on the arc gives you in a 30 second T/O?

Just curious.

The idea is that you are closer to the team's huddle during the TO and thus can better insure that the players remain standing during the 30-second time-out and can get them out on the floor and ready to resume the game quicker. Maybe you being out there in the middle also discourages the cheerleaders from taking the floor, which they are not supposed to do during a 30.

Remember the full time-out has a warning horn 15 seconds before the TO ends, but for the 30 there is only 10 seconds to get ready to go after the warning horn.
Old Mon Nov 22, 2004, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul LeBoutillier
Although some people may think I'm joking, part of the reason for the different positions is so that cheerleaders know not to come out during a 30. Plus, being on the arc, they'd have a hard time doing anything with you in the middle of the floor.
Old Mon Nov 22, 2004, 12:22pm
Administrator

Quote:
Quote:
Mick:

MTD, Sr.
Good call, Mark T.
mick

Mick:

Here is another trick that I learned from a fellow official by the name of Ben Bluett, III, of Toledo, Ohio, and I wish I had thought of it myself.

When the throw-in is going to be a designated throw-in (endline or sideline, it does not matter), each official should stand with his feet together to remind himself that that throw-in is a designated spot throw-in. And when the thrower is allowed to run the endline, each officials should stand with their feet apart about shoulder width. Since I am getting a little senile in my old age I need to use every trick I to remember what type of throw-in we are going to have.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Nov 22, 2004, 12:28pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Mick:

MTD, Sr.
Good call, Mark T.
mick

Mick:

Here is another trick that I learned from a fellow official by the name of Ben Bluett, III, of Toledo, Ohio, and I wish I had thought of it myself.

When the throw-in is going to be a designated throw-in (endline or sideline, it does not matter), each official should stand with his feet together to remind himself that that throw-in is a designated spot throw-in. And when the thrower is allowed to run the endline, each officials should stand with their feet apart about shoulder width. Since I am getting a little senile in my old age I need to use every trick I to remember what type of throw-in we are going to have.

MTD, Sr.
Or you could just look at each other and give the "run the baseline" signal.
Old Mon Nov 22, 2004, 01:48pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Quote:

Mick:

MTD, Sr.
Or you could just look at each other and give the "run the baseline" signal.
Yeah, Rich.
That's what we do.
Make eye contact, then point at the spot or run that index finger horizontally in front of our chin. (I know..., the end line wave works, too)

mick

Feet apart or Feet together --> that would add another sentence to a pre-game.