The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   2man Technical Question (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50533-2man-technical-question.html)

j2u4now Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:34pm

2man Technical Question

In 2 man, during a Technical foul. You have the one official opposite the table at half court with the 9 players. The other official and the shooter go to shoot the T. Where does the official administer the ball from? The baseline or the side of the shooter?
From the baseline- who are you watching you have no one in the lane for a violation?
From the side of the shooter- you have the only possible person,the shooter, for a violation?
Either way the official has to shag down a missed shot.
I was at a 3man camp geared for getting to the next level. I asked several current DI officials, they were back and forth on it. No one really had an answer.
Which one is correct? Where is it in the book?
Veterans please dust off the ole memory banks for this one.
Thanks gang- Happy Holidays

Freddy Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:56pm

Deja Vu All Over Again

QUOTE: "at half court with the 9 players"

Have I entered the Deja Vu sector of the Twilight Zone or something?

I am, however, looking forward to the responses to the heart of the question.

shishstripes Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:19pm

I always administer from the end-line just like any other FT in the lead position although I do move up to the block table-side.

Adam Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:30pm

As the T (or C), I'll stand a little higher than normal since all of my players are above the 3 pt. line and FT line extended.
As L, I'll stand on the bottom block, keeping an eye on the back 9.

Scratch85 Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:30am

What? I am going to bed and will check back in the morning. I am surprised by the simple fact based answers to this post . . . so far.:confused:

JugglingReferee Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scratch85 (Post 561308)
What? I am going to bed and will check back in the morning. I am surprised by the simple fact based answers to this post . . . so far.:confused:

Why shocked? Everything I've read so far in the above posts is correct and accurate.

Scratch85 Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 561309)
Why shocked? Everything I've read so far in the above posts is correct and accurate.

Yep. Not shocked just confused.

bob jenkins Wed Dec 24, 2008 08:52am

FTs for a T are administered just as any other FT. So, L is on the end-line and T is above the FT line. If there are (or could be) problems, T can move -- just as s/he would if this was a FT in the last seconds with only the two B players on the lane and the other 7 setting up near half court, etc.

JugglingReferee Wed Dec 24, 2008 09:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 561330)
FTs for a T are administered just as any other FT. So, L is on the end-line and T is above the FT line. If there are (or could be) problems, T can move -- just as s/he would if this was a FT in the last seconds with only the two B players on the lane and the other 7 setting up near half court, etc.

I might be spoiled. In my area, 95% of the kids just "know" to go to half-court when there is a T. I don't tell them otherwise. :)

So, when they go to half-court, usually the T goes to near half as well to stay with the players.

Raymond Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 561309)

That's why he is shocked.

Adam Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scratch85 (Post 561310)
Yep. Not shocked just confused.

What were you expecting?

Scratch85 Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 561410)
What were you expecting?

A remake of the Rule #11 involving the division line for T's. It seems like it has been referenced in several threads over the last few days. Anyway, I'm glad this thread didn't go that direction so lets just ignore my post:o and keep going.

Back In The Saddle Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:50pm

Warning, what follows is pure blasphemy. ;)

Here's what I prefer. The L administers the free throw from the baseline, and he watches the shooter. You don't need or want both officials focused on one player. The T moves back to where he can most effectively watch the other nine players. If there's been trouble, he might even want to be right in the middle of them, talking to players and making his presence known.

IMHO, consistency for consistency's sake between regular free throws and technical/intentional/flagrant foul free throws doesn't make sense. Regular free throw coverage is a compromise that allows the crew to watch seven players on the lane for violations and fouls, and try to keep an eye on the other three, and then be prepared for potential rebounding action. Very little of that applies to T/I/F foul free throws. In these cases, the crew should consider who/what needs to be covered and put themselves in the most advantageous position to do it.

OTOH, don't deviate from standard coverage just to be different. If the best way to cover a particular T/I/F free throw is to be in regular free throw positions, then go there. Just don't both officials be focused only on the shooter.

Adam Thu Dec 25, 2008 01:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle (Post 561549)
Warning, what follows is pure blasphemy. ;)

Here's what I prefer. The L administers the free throw from the baseline, and he watches the shooter. You don't need or want both officials focused on one player. The T moves back to where he can most effectively watch the other nine players. If there's been trouble, he might even want to be right in the middle of them, talking to players and making his presence known.

IMHO, consistency for consistency's sake between regular free throws and technical/intentional/flagrant foul free throws doesn't make sense. Regular free throw coverage is a compromise that allows the crew to watch seven players on the lane for violations and fouls, and try to keep an eye on the other three, and then be prepared for potential rebounding action. Very little of that applies to T/I/F foul free throws. In these cases, the crew should consider who/what needs to be covered and put themselves in the most advantageous position to do it.

OTOH, don't deviate from standard coverage just to be different. If the best way to cover a particular T/I/F free throw is to be in regular free throw positions, then go there. Just don't both officials be focused only on the shooter.

OKay, let's see if I can shorten this up for you:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 561299)
As the T (or C), I'll stand a little higher than normal since all of my players are above the 3 pt. line and FT line extended.
As L, I'll stand on the bottom block, keeping an eye on the back 9.

:D
Merry Christmas, BITS.

Back In The Saddle Thu Dec 25, 2008 01:41am

99% of the time, as the T I'll be at midcourt, with the other 9. At L I'll be at the baseline, watching the shooter and not paying much attention to the other 9. :p