The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Technical question

JV game. I'm R.

The scorekeeper tells me before the game that when they were on the visiting team's home court, that the coach would send players in after timeouts and quarters without checking in at the table. I told her to let us know if it happened and we would take care of it. I talked to my partners and we agreed to ask both coaches at the meeting to be sure to have their players report to the table.

At the start of the second quarter, I'm getting ready to put the ball into play when the table buzzes. There are two players from the visiting team on the floor who have not checked in. We tell the coach the starters need to return and those two must now wait for the first dead ball to enter the game. He was careful to have his players check in from then on.

Besides being against the rules, I think that this behavior is just plain rude to the scorekeeper. But I found it interesting at halftime, talking it over, the varsity guy watching said he would have handled it the same way we did. By rule this is a technical. I can see giving a warning as we did in a JV game but varsity? At what point does one handle it differently? At state?

Rita
Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C
JV game. I'm R.

The scorekeeper tells me before the game that when they were on the visiting team's home court, that the coach would send players in after timeouts and quarters without checking in at the table. I told her to let us know if it happened and we would take care of it. I talked to my partners and we agreed to ask both coaches at the meeting to be sure to have their players report to the table.

At the start of the second quarter, I'm getting ready to put the ball into play when the table buzzes. There are two players from the visiting team on the floor who have not checked in. We tell the coach the starters need to return and those two must now wait for the first dead ball to enter the game. He was careful to have his players check in from then on.

Besides being against the rules, I think that this behavior is just plain rude to the scorekeeper. But I found it interesting at halftime, talking it over, the varsity guy watching said he would have handled it the same way we did. By rule this is a technical. I can see giving a warning as we did in a JV game but varsity? At what point does one handle it differently? At state?

Rita
probably just depends on the general culture in your area. I've never seen it called at any level here, and it does happen, even at state, once in a while. If your V people said they wouldn't call it, that's probably the answer for you, right there.
Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 12:27pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

I always tell coaches before we start that if they sub, have the kids go to the table, check in and then wait to be called in. Also, they must have their jerseys tucked in. If they're not tucked in, they will have to play the rest of the game without jerseys and with their number written on their forehead in permanent marker.

They usually remember to tell their players to have their jerseys tucked in when reporting.

Oh yeah, I only make the "no jersey" threat in boys games.
Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 05:21pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
I always tell coaches before we start that if they sub, have the kids go to the table, check in and then wait to be called in. Also, they must have their jerseys tucked in. If they're not tucked in, they will have to play the rest of the game without jerseys and with their number written on their forehead in permanent marker.

They usually remember to tell their players to have their jerseys tucked in when reporting.

At games where coaches want a sub and start yelling "sub! sub! sub!" with no player making their way off the bench, I've been known to say back "Bring em down, coach. This isn't volleyball."

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 05:31pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:

Mark - if you make em play without jerseys, do you then WHACK em for removing their jerseys right there? Double jeopardy?
Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 05:43pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man
At games where coaches want a sub and start yelling "sub! sub! sub!"
I usually reply, "I'm sorry, Coach. I don't take sandwich orders."
Old Fri Feb 01, 2008, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

So if I've done the math right (which is a BIG if on a Friday), adding up all the things I've read from you over the years about what you say in your pre-game meeting...

Your coaches/captains meeting must last at least 20 minutes and by the time your done I'm sure their sides are aching from laughing so hard. When do you have time to play the actual game?
Old Fri Feb 01, 2008, 05:02pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
So if I've done the math right (which is a BIG if on a Friday), adding up all the things I've read from you over the years about what you say in your pre-game meeting...

Your coaches/captains meeting must last at least 20 minutes and by the time your done I'm sure their sides are aching from laughing so hard. When do you have time to play the actual game?
Not only that, I have to explain everything in one syllable words just so the coaches can understand. I also use diagrams.