Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 24, 2008, 09:20am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post

When I work 2-man, I switch every time.
We do this, most of the time. During "garbage time" when we have runs of free throws my partner will put his hand up to say "stay where you are" and I really don't have the inclination to fight him on it there.

This is something the NFHS could and should switch. There's really no point in the long switch considering the situations in 3 person where NONE of the officials move.

I've worked hard to incorporate more NFHS mechanics that have eluded me the past few years, including stopping the clock on out of bounds calls and not blowing a whistle on the baseline throw-in.

I'll let you know what happens if I ever have a pregame dunk.
Old Wed Dec 24, 2008, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
We do this, most of the time. During "garbage time" when we have runs of free throws my partner will put his hand up to say "stay where you are" and I really don't have the inclination to fight him on it there.

This is something the NFHS could and should switch. There's really no point in the long switch considering the situations in 3 person where NONE of the officials move.

I've worked hard to incorporate more NFHS mechanics that have eluded me the past few years, including stopping the clock on out of bounds calls and not blowing a whistle on the baseline throw-in.

I'll let you know what happens if I ever have a pregame dunk.
Now that's funny!

BTW I don't like the NFHS 3-man switching mechanics mainly because there are too many situations in which none of the officials swap spots. I much prefer the NBA mechanic in which the calling official comes to the table and the other two officials switch. This changes it up with greater frequency and this is desirable.
Old Wed Dec 24, 2008, 10:28am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I much prefer the NBA mechanic in which the calling official comes to the table and the other two officials switch. This changes it up with greater frequency and this is desirable.
I like the NBA mechanic as well, but you don't have it quite right. In the NBA, in the frontcourt, the calling official becomes the Trail (not necessarily tableside) and the other two switch.
Old Wed Dec 24, 2008, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Ok, I'll take your word for it.
Old Wed Dec 24, 2008, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

Is there really an issue with NFHS/NCAA style switching in 3 person? Is it really necessary to switch like the NBA does to ... actually, what is the goal of the NBA switch?
Old Thu Dec 25, 2008, 10:11pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
Is there really an issue with NFHS/NCAA style switching in 3 person? Is it really necessary to switch like the NBA does to ... actually, what is the goal of the NBA switch?
It simply gets all 3 officials to a different spot after each foul, so you don't get the same two guys making the call on each end of the court and just switching with each other. This is less of a possibility, I think, when the calling official goes opposite (NCAA M) than when the calling official simply goes tableside. If you just go tableside, then if we're shooting the bonus on both ends, the Lead and Trail could simply switch every possession while the C sits opposite the table for a prolonged period. This won't happen in the NBA mechanic.
Old Thu Dec 25, 2008, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

Though theoretically it could be the same ONE guy, since s/he becomes T after every foul call, he'll become L once the ball goes the other way. Actually, in a really sadistic way, that would help ensure consistent calls at each end.
Old Fri Dec 26, 2008, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

I have heard both explanations from differing sources in my association. It seems to vary between "no long switches- period" to "no long switches unless we're shooting". I've been pregaming this. Results have varied.

I dunno... Despite the manual, it seems strange for me to be at midcourt when my partner calls a foul in backcourt on a press, then reports and heads the rest of the way to administer while I stand there, watch players and then take 2-3 steps to my position during the FTs. Makes me feel like I'm not doing anything.

Z
Old Fri Dec 26, 2008, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Officials Manual 2.4.2.E.1.
"Officials should switch position on all fouls. No exceptions."

We normally don't make long switches, despite the Manual instruction.
Old Fri Dec 26, 2008, 01:35pm
Esteemed Forum Member

No Long Switches ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeedonk View Post
It seems strange for me to be at midcourt when my partner calls a foul in backcourt on a press, then reports and heads the rest of the way to administer while I stand there, watch players and then take 2-3 steps to my position during the FTs. Makes me feel like I'm not doing anything.
Me too, and we've been doing something similar, here in Connecticut, for three seasons. My first year was the worst. In this situation, as the lead, I was used to hustling to make the switch, and had to force myself to stop in my tracks. Also, in this situation, I'm still having a problem, as the trail, getting to the reporting area, and find myself reporting from the free throw line, using my presence there to let my partner know that we're not going to switch.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)