The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jevaque
2 person

should be easy to answer but i have not done 2 person in 5 yrs, so im curious. In two person do you long switch?? calling foul in backcourt going the other way..
Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 03:30pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevaque View Post
should be easy to answer but i have not done 2 person in 5 yrs, so im curious. In two person do you long switch?? calling foul in backcourt going the other way..
Pregame it, but no, I don't.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

we don't where i am
Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

BY the mechanics book, in 2-man you switch every time. It depends on your association. We do not long switch on any back court fouls.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jevaque
thats what i thought but my partner last night night said he always does. SO by the book in 2 person ur suppose to long switch??????

I know they changed it for 3 person a few yrs back not to long switch, but i thought they did for 2 person also
Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 03:57pm
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by iref4him View Post
BY the mechanics book, in 2-man you switch every time. It depends on your association. We do not long switch on any back court fouls.
Haven't had to work much 2 person this season (God is good) but we switch on all fouls in 2 person.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

By the book... you switch on every foul - including long switches. I'm still a rookie but any time I'm with a partner that works primarily 3-man, they don't want to long switch. Our association decided no long switches in 2-man.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 04:03pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I could have sworn they changed the book on this, but I can't find it. I do know long switches are frowned upon here.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 05:09pm
Get away from me, Steve.

We do it, with some rare spontaneous exceptions.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 06:18pm
Official Forum Member

I believe that a few years ago the NFHS flip-flopped on this, first removing it from 2 person, then restoring it a couple of years later. I always pre-game that we will not do the long switch. And it's not just to eliminate 50 unnecessary extra steps. It's to prevent both officials from remaining in the backcourt while all 10 players are headed to the front court. IMHO that's just not smart.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 06:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Pregame it, but no, I don't.
Not if I can help it. I sure love 3 -whistle crews!
Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 06:30pm
Official Forum Member

I've never understood why the Fed has kept long switching in the 2-man mechanics. There's an exception in 3-man, may as well be in 2-man, too.

No long switches accomplishes two things - easier dead-ball officiating (one official gets to keep his eyes on the entire court without worrying about heading to the other end) and provides a more efficient process.

Currently the off-call official can choose to be an excellent dead-ball official by freezing until after the reporting and then heading to the other end, but that obviously comes at the expense of efficiency. Heading immediately to the other end comes at the expense of dead-ball officiating.

Enough rambling. You get my point. If you care at all. I certainly don't after wasting my time writing this. Glad I only work 3-man...
Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 07:27pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Only In The Land Of Steady Habits ...

CONNECTICUT (IAABO) MECHANICS:
Point to floor for two-point field goal try when shooter has foot touching three point line.
No long switches when foul is called in the backcourt and there is no change of possession or direction.
Team members are not allowed to congregate at midcourt during introductions. Officials will direct players to free throw line area in front of respective benches.
Coaching Box must be marked. If home coach and/or home management refuse to designate coaching box with tape, the home team will not use a coaching box for that game. However, the visiting team will be allowed a coaching box. Notify Board Secretary, or Commissioner the next day.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Dec 24, 2008, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevaque View Post
thats what i thought but my partner last night night said he always does. SO by the book in 2 person ur suppose to long switch??????

I know they changed it for 3 person a few yrs back not to long switch, but i thought they did for 2 person also
Yes, according to the NFHS officials manual the officials switch on each and every foul in 2-man. The no-long-switch exception is only for 3-man.

When I work 2-man, I switch every time.

I say do it right. If one is too lazy to hustle and give that effort, then one shouldn't be out there.
Old Wed Dec 24, 2008, 09:15am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018 View Post
Currently the off-call official can choose to be an excellent dead-ball official by freezing until after the reporting and then heading to the other end, but that obviously comes at the expense of efficiency. Heading immediately to the other end comes at the expense of dead-ball officiating.
You can keep your head on a swivel while moving and do both at the same time.