The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Most game tapes I've seen stop during dead balls. So if you're using a stop sign to get video "evidence" of having warned the coach, it may not be there at all if it's during a dead ball.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 04:31pm
Ch1town

Not if you go above & beyond asking the school for a copy by bringing your own camera person
Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 07:13pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Communication with coaches

COMMUNICATION WITH COACHES

General Techniques:
Statements by coaches don’t normally need a response. Answer questions, not statements.
Let the coach ask their question first, before speaking. Be a responder, not an initiator.
Most coaches will have questions when they believe the officials have missed an obvious call.
Having the officials in closer proximity often calms down the coach.
Be in control and speak in calm, easy tones. Be aware of your body language; maintain positive and confident body language.
Make eye contact with the coach when the situation allows.
Do not try to answer a question from an out of control coach; deal with the behavior first.
If you’ve missed a call or made a mistake; admit it. This technique can only be used sparingly, perhaps once a game.
Don’t bluff your way through a call.
Do not ignore a coach.

Specific Communication Examples:

Coach sees the play very differently than the official:
“Coach, if that’s the way it happened/what you saw, then I must have missed it. I’ll take a closer look next time.”
“Coach, I understand what you’re saying, however, on that play I didn’t see it that way. I’ll keep an eye for it on both ends.”
“Coach, I had a good look at that play and here’s what I saw (short explanation).”
“Coach, I understand what you’re saying, but my angle was different than yours.”
“Coach, I had a great look at that play, but I understand your question and I’ll have the crew keep an eye on it.”
“Coach, I had that play all the way and made the call.”

Coach believes you’re missing persistent illegal acts by the other team:
“OK coach, we’ll watch for that.”
“Coach, we are watching for that on both ends of the court.”

Coach is questioning a partner’s call:
“Coach, that’s a good call, as a crew we have to make that call.”
“We’re calling it on both ends.”
“Coach, he/she was right there and had a great angle.”
“Coach, we’re not going there, I can’t let you criticize my partner.”
“Coach, he/she had a great look, but if you have a specific question, you’ll have to ask him/her, he/she’ll be
over here in just a minute.”

Coach is very animated and gesturing:
“Coach, I’m going to talk with you and answer your questions, but you must put your arms down/stop the gesturing.”
“Coach, please put your arms down. Now, what’s your question?”

Coach is raising their voice asking the question:
“Coach, I can hear you. I’m standing right here, you don’t need to raise your voice.”
"Coach, I need you to stop raising your voice and just ask your question calmly.”

Coach is commenting on something every time down the floor:
“Coach, I need you to pick your spots, we can’t have a comment on every single call that is being made.”

Coach has a good point and might be right.
“You’ve got a good point and might be right about that play.”
“You might be right, that’s one we’ll talk about at halftime/intermission/the next time out.”
“You might be right; I may not have had the best angle on that play.”

Coach is venting, make editorial comments:
“I hear what you’re saying”
“I hear what you’re saying, but we’re moving on.”

Coach just won’t let it go:
“I’ve heard enough and that’s your warning.”

Source: Topeka (Kansas) Officials Association
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 07:16pm
Esteemed Forum Member

TECHNICAL FOULS

Top Reasons To Not Give A Technical Foul
You can address a coach before it becomes a problem. A quiet word can go a long way in preventing a technical foul.
When coaches complain, ask yourself, is the call questionable, is the call wrong. If they have a legitimate gripe, then allow them some latitude. Be courteous. Do not argue. Be firm and fair
If you know a coach is upset then move away from him or her, even if it means that you and your partner are not switching or rotating properly.
Warnings can be very effective in preventing situations from escalating. Don't tolerate a lot before a warning.Lend a reasonable ear. Coaches like to be heard. If you ignore them then they become more frustrated and are more likely to lose control.
If an assistant is out of line, then you can speak to the head coach and ask them to help you out.
If a player is out of line then let the coach know. Tell them you've warned their player. That way if you do give a technical foul, then the coach isn't surprised. Most good coaches will speak to the player first.
If you have had a rough day and know your fuse is short, keep that in mind before you do anything rash. Ask yourself, does the situation come under one of the top reasons to give a technical foul.
If necessary, give an initial strong warning. Let your partner know about the warning.

Top Reasons To Give A Technical Foul
There are many different factors to consider when deciding to give a technical foul. Generally, there are three areas of coach's behavior that need attention: when a coach makes it personal, when a coach
draws attention to himself or herself, and when a coach's complaints are persistent.
Some technical fouls are easy. They are black and white situations that leave little room for negotiation:
Using profanity or language that is abusive, vulgar, or obscene.
A coach questions your integrity.
Inciting an undesirable crowd reaction.
A coach is embarrassing an official.
A coach or player has been warned and has not heeded the warning.
Leaving the confines of the coaching box and complaining.
A coach demonstrates displeasure with your partner and their back is turned.

Other technical fouls are not as black and white. In some situations, a warning may be appropriate before the technical foul is given:
A coach or player continually demonstrates signals or asks for calls.
If they have interfered with the game or your concentration, then they have usually gone too far.
If giving a technical will help give structure back to the game and if it will have a calming effect on things.

Top Ways To Give A Technical Foul
Calling a technical foul should be no different then calling any other foul. It is simply a rule that requires a penalty. Maintain a calm attitude, have poise and presence. Don’t personalize it. Don't embarrass the coach by being demonstrative.
Take your time. Don’t over react. Always sound the whistle and stop the clock with a foul signal. Signal the technical foul. Take a deep breath to calm yourself. Proceed to the reporting area, report the technical foul clearly to the table, and leave the area. Never look at a coach when you give a technical foul.
Confer with your partner. If the technical foul is charged to the head coach or bench personnel, have your partner inform the coach of the loss of the coaching box.
Explanations, it needed should be done by partner. Always explain technical fouls on players to coaches.

Proceed with the administration of the penalty. After technical fouls, put the ball in play immediately. The calling official may want to stay away from the coach for a few minutes, even if it means not making a switch, or making an unneeded switch, after the administration of the technical foul penalty has been completed.
Because a coach has been penalized with a technical foul does not mean that the coach is allowed rebuttal time.
Make them earn the second technical foul. Don't be reluctant to give the second technical foul if it is warranted.

Original Source: The Greater Philadelphia Basketball Official's Association
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 07:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I could go with that, and I've used it, but I wouldn't stop the game and make a show out of embarrassing the coach.
What Snaqwells and JRutledge are saying gets to the heart of this. Communicate with coaches and players as if you were the coach or player, until they lose that privelege. Tactfully let them know they lost it, and then focus on the floor unless they make the choice to make you T them.

Above all, be nice. Messy games result in more missed calls, more 50/50 decisions we have to make on the spot, and more judgment by coaches and players on our performance. We have to understand that. When I help out and observe, I rarely see a coach get upset during well-played clean games. I rarely see them ranting unless there have been some missed calls or a few consecutive close ones that went against him. That's OK. No official ro crew is perfect. We're human. But how we react is the difference. We control our responses.

Empathy is your best friend in dealing with coaches. You can always clamp down later if he doesn't respond to being nice, but once you offend/embarass him, or pee in his pocket and tell him it is raining, there's little chance of recovering.

Every T I give, I am angry about it, because the player or coach made me do it. Their reaction when I tell them that is always interesting. Prevents a grudge on their part every time.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 09:43pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor64 View Post
Well I can tell you that those "61" you refer to absolutely DO NOT give the stop sign. The stop sign induces conflict it does not resolve conflict. We are there to diffuse the conflict and the quicker that we all learn that we don't try to win or that we don't try to "zing" the coach with a one liner and instead act professionally then we all win and there will never be any calls to our supervisors for things we said.
This is my favorite post in this thread. Many members who have been around a while know how I feel about the stop sign and this is partly why. The other reason is officials talk about it as if it is all powerful.

I also agree that we shouldn't be looking for one-liners so we can be smart with our responses. Coaches are people and they are passionate about winning their games. I would like to think I can talk to them like a human being and not get all upset. However, when the time comes a T is earned.
Old Wed Dec 24, 2008, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Embarrassing the Coach?

I understand the thought here but the terminology drives me nuts!

The idea is to defuse the situation before it gets out of control, and without forcing the coach or yourself into a corner with one of those infamous phrases " one more, or if it happens again ..."

Suggestions; approach the coach personally and not yelling at them from across the floor, quietly ask for his cooperation in complying with the rules first,
"Coach, help me out here, by rule you can not keep yelling about calls and trying to influence calls from the bench, if you persist we are going to have to deal with it, and that is going to result in a technical, and neither one of us wants that happen."

If he leaves you no choice then back up give a Stop sign (about hand check signal high) "Okay coach that is enough, consider this your warning" . Still in low tone.

Then let your partners know and move on, and deal with it if the coach persists with that behavior.

Issueing a warning, or talking to the coach and telling them that you have had enough of their behavior is great and would stop a normal person from continuing with their abhorent actions.
But sometimes it continues, and just like a little kid if you do not deal with if firmly and fairly, then it will persist in being a problem.

But I am really NOT worried about Embarrassing a Coach - S/He is thuroghly capable of doing that with out my help. What I am worried about is the coach causing problems for my game.
Old Wed Dec 24, 2008, 09:24am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma_ref View Post
I should've been more clear in my post. The videotape doesn't justify our actions to our assignors. 99.9% of them stand by us no problem. Video just makes it easier for them to defend us against coaches and/or AD's with proof in hand. Around here, assignors work for the leagues they assign and are hired by the collective ADs within each league. We generally don't have to answer to our assignors, but they certainly have to answer to their bosses (the AD's).
I am of the opinion that if you're going to blow your whistle and stop the game (live ball) to deal with a coach, it had better be accompanied by a technical foul. If I, as an assignor, saw the game stopped, I'd be asking where the technical was called.

Otherwise, you are baiting the coach into worse behavior, potentially.
Old Wed Dec 24, 2008, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

This one is my favorite:

“Coach, if that’s the way it happened/what you saw, then I must have missed it. I’ll take a closer look next time.”

What can I say to that? I've had a few officials use that one, and the only appropriate response from me, is "Thanks. I appreciate it.". It's probably saved me a few technicals over the years.
Old Wed Dec 24, 2008, 01:24pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I am of the opinion that if you're going to blow your whistle and stop the game (live ball) to deal with a coach, it had better be accompanied by a technical foul. If I, as an assignor, saw the game stopped, I'd be asking where the technical was called.

Otherwise, you are baiting the coach into worse behavior, potentially.
I have done this and it worked. I think we worry too much about showing people up. If you are trying to stop behavior and you can do so by stopping the game (player or coach), do so. It has worked for me. It might not work for everyone. You have to know who you are dealing with and how you can talk to them.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 24, 2008, 02:07pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I have done this and it worked. I think we worry too much about showing people up. If you are trying to stop behavior and you can do so by stopping the game (player or coach), do so. It has worked for me. It might not work for everyone. You have to know who you are dealing with and how you can talk to them.

Peace
Depends on the coach.

I was working a Christmas tourney in Illinois last season and I was going center to center for a few trips and every time I'd park in front of the one coach, he'd start whining about every non-call whenever players came close together. Finally, I simply said to him: "You know, you whining every time down the floor isn't going to get you anywhere."

I immediately regretted saying it. It wasn't a professional thing to say and I made my mind up that I was going to apologize on the next dead ball. On the timeout, the coach actually approached me and before I could say anything he told me I was completely right and he was sorry. You could've knocked me over with a feather. And I did say it was no problem, but I could've chosen a better set of words to get that across. And we had no words the rest of the game. And he coached better, too.

Other coaches won't shut up till they're whacked and if it's that way, that's OK, too. I'll oblige.

This is what makes working sports difficult. There is no cookie cutter approach to game management.
Old Wed Dec 24, 2008, 02:11pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHBBREF View Post
But I am really NOT worried about Embarrassing a Coach - S/He is thuroghly capable of doing that with out my help. What I am worried about is the coach causing problems for my game.
When I talk about embarrassing the coach, I'm talking about throwing gas on the fire.
The stop sign may work some times, but others it's going to explode in your face.
Old Wed Dec 24, 2008, 08:21pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
When I talk about embarrassing the coach, I'm talking about throwing gas on the fire.
The stop sign may work some times, but others it's going to explode in your face.
Snaqwells, I agree with you.

What I don't understand is why an official would use something knowing it may work or it may make things worse. If you (in general terms) know the stop sign would make a situation better, wouldn't talking to the coach without it work too? If you think it will make things worse or don't know, why do it?

I would like to think I can communicate well enough - without a stop sign - to diffuse any situation that would be calmed by a stop sign. If I can't, it will either be obvious why a coach got a T or it will be so bad (saying something softly way across the line) that I don't care.

I'm thinking our goal is to do some preventative officiating. That being the case, using something that could potentially make the situation worse just doesn't seem wise to me.

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!!!
Old Wed Dec 24, 2008, 08:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
This is what makes working sports difficult. There is no cookie cutter approach to game management.
This is one of the few things I believe we can all agree with when it comes to officiating, no matter what the sport.
Old Mon Dec 29, 2008, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Snaqs -
I agree sometimes it will explode, but talking wasn't going to get you anywhere anyway based on most situations it just delayed the inevitable, as usually the stop sign does.
My take is that when I have to whack someone after a stop sign - there is no question as to the fact that I or my partners have expressed to the coach that their behavior has reached a level that is unacceptable and if it persists there are consequences.
Now if I can say that to a coach and they will respond - I much prefer that to a stop sign but that option is not always available.

With NCAA we can formally warn which is basically the same as a stop sign and highly effective, I would like to see that come down to the FED level as it take the ambiguity out of the situation of a T a lot of times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
I would like to think I can communicate well enough - without a stop sign - to diffuse any situation that would be calmed by a stop sign. If I can't, it will either be obvious why a coach got a T or it will be so bad (saying something softly way across the line) that I don't care.

I'm thinking our goal is to do some preventative officiating. That being the case, using something that could potentially make the situation worse just doesn't seem wise to me.
Tom-e
preventing officiating is a wonderful thing and I would say that most everyone on this forum tries to apply, I am sure that we also try our best to communicate with coaches as best we can, however situations occur rapidly during the flow of a game where a coach may just blow their cool because of a no call at one end and then your partner just kicked a call big time that went against him, and you want to communicate and diffuse. Since you just kicked a call the last thing you want to do here is whack this guy. so you let them vent and when it is enough - you step back calmly and say coach that is enough give him the stop sign (so everyone int he gym knows if he persists there will be consequences) and move away.

There are times when you will whack them w/o the sign and others when you will never hear from them again.
The stop sign is a visual reminder that enough is enough and that is what you should be saing to the coach at that time.

I watched a ref over the weekend, whack a coach after a call - then engage him in conversation to explain it and then whack him again. They were just standing there having what looked like a civil conversation (for way too long). That didn't look good from any perspective. The official said the coach wouldn't let it go, the coach said the official never answered his question and then just whacked him when he said explain it.

When the official had had enough he should have stepped back said coach that is enough given him the sign and moved on. Appropriately applied this a great tool, you just have to know how and when to use it.