The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   talking coaches (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50517-talking-coaches.html)

beachbum Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:44am

talking coaches

some coaches are constantly yapping about something all during the game. "you missed that call, watch the three seconds, their hacking us..etc.

After listening to a coach call out " three seconds" about 25 times, (BJV) at an opportune time I said "coach, if all i watch for out there is three seconds then I'm going to miss other plays or fouls, now sit down and coach your team"he did shut up, but i wasn't sure if i should have said anything.

One official I work with would tell them that what they are doing is unsportman like conduct and that was their warning.

what do all of the pros say????

ma_ref Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:47am

I say you let him call out "three seconds" 23 or 24 times too many before warning him...

When coaches do this, I tell them I'm watching the lane, but each time they yell out "3 seconds", I lose track of the count in my head and have to start over at 0. That gets them to quiet down pretty quick.

bob jenkins Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by beachbum (Post 561015)
now sit down and coach your team"

Whatever you say, the last part of your phrase (quoted above) in inappropriate.

I usually start with "we'll watch for it."

Then, I do so. If I see something that's "close" but doesn't warrant a call, I'll tell the coach that next time down (e.g., "she moves out" or "he's allowed to try for a goal.")

If the coach then continues, I go to "coach, we've heard you and we're looking for it. That's enough."

Continued comments get a formal warning and then a whack.

BBall_Junkie Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:03am

MY opinion... do not ever tell a coach to sit down and coach his team. This is only going to throw fuel on the fire in most cases. Much more good can be done by trying to talk the coach off the ledge with your people skills.

zebraman Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:32am

First of all, I am not a pro, but I will weigh in anyway.

I don't think that telling a coach to "sit down and coach" is a very good response. That will get them mad almost every time and sounds disrespectful.

Maybe something like, "coach, you are asking for so many calls that you are distracting my crew."

Terrapins Fan Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ma_ref (Post 561016)
I say you let him call out "three seconds" 23 or 24 times too many before warning him...

When coaches do this, I tell them I'm watching the lane, but each time they yell out "3 seconds", I lose track of the count in my head and have to start over at 0. That gets them to quiet down pretty quick.

Great line, I am going to star to use that.

beachbum Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:38am

i like that responce too

beachbum Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:43am

I guess being newer, I shouldn't have told the coach to sit down, but now I know.

But, how do the pro's handle a coach the kind of follows you, as you are running down he sidline, asking or telling the same type of things?

Ch1town Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by beachbum (Post 561046)
But, how do the pro's handle a coach the kind of follows you, as you are running down he sidline, asking or telling the same type of things?

Not sure if any of those 61 post here.

Give stop sign when you've had enough, let your partner & anybody within earshot know that coach has been warned. If he continues, whack him & have your partner sit him down. If coach still doesnt get it, send him to the showers early. Coaches/players are like children, they will do what you allow them to do & oh yeah, some like to see how far they can go.

ma_ref Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:49am

First of all, don't call us "pros". I know guys that have been reffing 30+ years that I wouldn't call pros. Maybe "experienced" might be a better term.

Second, NFHS rules give us the ammo we need to get coaches off our backs. If a coach isn't letting up and constantly complaining, I wait for the next stoppage in play (or if he's a real pain, I wait for the next time his team gains possession - fast break or no I don't care). I blow my whistle, turn to the coach, and show him the stop sign for all to see. "Coach...I heard you, but you're not going to do this all game. That's enough." Next time - whack!

Adam Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ma_ref (Post 561054)
First of all, don't call us "pros". I know guys that have been reffing 30+ years that I wouldn't call pros. Maybe "experienced" might be a better term.

Second, NFHS rules give us the ammo we need to get coaches off our backs. If a coach isn't letting up and constantly complaining, I wait for the next stoppage in play (or if he's a real pain, I wait for the next time his team gains possession - fast break or no I don't care). I blow my whistle, turn to the coach, and show him the stop sign for all to see. "Coach...I heard you, but you're not going to do this all game. That's enough." Next time - whack!

Some might view this as unnecessarily confrontational. I would agree.
Just a quick word, quietly even, will usually work. You're wording is perfect, although I might drop the "that's enough" the first time.

Raymond Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 561067)
Some might view this as unnecessarily confrontational. I would agree.
Just a quick word, quietly even, will usually work. You're wording is perfect, although I might drop the "that's enough" the first time.

"That's enough!" is actually what I would say the first time and it would be the only words needed.

Adam Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 561070)
"That's enough!" is actually what I would say the first time and it would be the only words needed.

I could go with that, and I've used it, but I wouldn't stop the game and make a show out of embarrassing the coach.

Raymond Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 561072)
I could go with that, and I've used it, but I wouldn't stop the game and make a show out of embarrassing the coach.

Agreed.

ma_ref Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 561070)

Indeed, that's why I say it. It pretty much leaves no other possible meaning or interpretation. It's telling the coach, "This is my line in the sand...cross it and you know what's coming."