The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 22, 2008, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

What was i thinking??

Last Friday I had a game between two well coached good girls teams. 2 team has won the state tournament 2 out of the past 3 years, the other has gone deep into the play offs the past few years. Both teams figure to again go deep into the play offs.

1 minute into the game, I am trail, ball stolen up top I run down and get a good angle. Defense gets to her spot, and stops, arms straight up. offensive girl does a nice jump stop, jumps to the side of the defender, brushing her right side...defender steps back maybe 5 inches.

*TWEET*....i think to myself......oh crap...

it's not a charge, and it isn't a block.....I was lost. Seemed like it took forever, but for some reason I call a block. Coach wasn't happy. I walk up to him and tell him, Coach, i blew it. There was no foul, I am sorry.

He says, Okay, and doesn't say another word about it the rest of the night.
Old Mon Dec 22, 2008, 01:38pm
Ch1town

Honesty is the best policy, but when it happens one minute in... you have to be on your A game for the rest of the night.

I guess it's better to get it out the way early, than to make it a gamer
Old Mon Dec 22, 2008, 01:38pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Good time for an IW.
Old Mon Dec 22, 2008, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Snaq,

My partner and i talked about that after the game. we figured it probably would have been the best course of action to call an IW. Tell both coaches i had my head up my butt and go to the arrow. The ball had been shot so there was no longer team possession when I blew the whistle.

I think i shocked myself with the fact that I blew my whistle.
Old Mon Dec 22, 2008, 03:45pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post
Snaq,

My partner and i talked about that after the game. we figured it probably would have been the best course of action to call an IW. Tell both coaches i had my head up my butt and go to the arrow. The ball had been shot so there was no longer team possession when I blew the whistle.

Did the shot miss? Either way, I think eating an IW there would have been less messy than eating a bad foul call.

Live and learn, my friend.
Old Mon Dec 22, 2008, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Snaq,

Wait a sec...so you told the coach there was no foul...and reported a foul anyway???? This whole time I assumed you had gone with an IW after you told the coach...That just isn't right:

(to coach): Coach, I blew it...there was no foul. Sorry.
(turns to table): Red two-three. Block. 2 shots.

Ouch...

You're lucky you got a sympathetic coach. I would think most of them would chew you out the rest of the night...
Old Mon Dec 22, 2008, 04:01pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I'm pretty sure he reported the foul first, then later told the coach it was a mistake.

But you're right, I'd rather tell a coach I screwed up and didn't see a foul that he did than tell him I didn't see a foul but called one anyway. I probably would have admitted to him I'd like to have the call back, not sure how much more info I would have offered.
Old Mon Dec 22, 2008, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I'm pretty sure he reported the foul first, then later told the coach it was a mistake.
That might even be funnier:

(to table): Red two-three. Block. 2 shots.
(turns to coach): Coach, I blew it...there was no foul. Sorry.
Old Mon Dec 22, 2008, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

It is funny now, but at the time I was not happy with myself. I blew it. Plain and simple. the coach was just fine when I told him I blew the call. I guess I"ll learn from this and next time go with an IW.
Old Mon Dec 22, 2008, 05:23pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma_ref View Post
That might even be funnier:

(to table): Red two-three. Block. 2 shots.
(turns to coach): Coach, I blew it...there was no foul. Sorry.
I'm assuming more time elapsed, but I could be wrong.
Old Mon Dec 22, 2008, 05:34pm
Official Forum Member

IW Question

Does an IW cause the ball to become dead immediately? In the OP, if the IW came after A1 started the motion for a try, and the ball went in, can you count the basket and just give the ball to B?

Or, is the ball dead immediately, and you have to go to AP since neither team had control at the time of the whistle?
Old Mon Dec 22, 2008, 05:43pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS View Post
Does an IW cause the ball to become dead immediately? In the OP, if the IW came after A1 started the motion for a try, and the ball went in, can you count the basket and just give the ball to B?

Or, is the ball dead immediately, and you have to go to AP since neither team had control at the time of the whistle?
The ball is dead immediately, unless a try is already in the air. Habitual motion does not apply.

So, if the try had been released, and the shot is made, POI (which you always go to on an IW) would be the endline throwin for B.

If the try had been released and the shot missed, you go to the arrow.

If the try had not been released, you give the ball back to A.
Old Mon Dec 22, 2008, 06:59pm
Official Forum Member

We've all had an IW at a really inconvenient time. Just tell them what it is and keep going. That's the best way.
Old Mon Dec 22, 2008, 09:20pm
#thereferee99

Had something similar... and partner had a plan.

Quote:
Last Friday I had a game between two well coached good girls teams. 2 team has won the state tournament 2 out of the past 3 years, the other has gone deep into the play offs the past few years. Both teams figure to again go deep into the play offs.

1 minute into the game, I am trail, ball stolen up top I run down and get a good angle. Defense gets to her spot, and stops, arms straight up. offensive girl does a nice jump stop, jumps to the side of the defender, brushing her right side...defender steps back maybe 5 inches.

*TWEET*....i think to myself......oh crap...

it's not a charge, and it isn't a block.....I was lost. Seemed like it took forever, but for some reason I call a block. Coach wasn't happy. I walk up to him and tell him, Coach, i blew it. There was no foul, I am sorry.

He says, Okay, and doesn't say another word about it the rest of the night.
I'm at a school where I've never officiated before. They have 18" solid color around the court indicating out-of-bounds. The problem is there is a visual explosion of intersecting and parallel lines near the endlines. They have court lines from the perpendicular court and some other stuff as well. I was having a hard time getting comfortable with it.

Anyways, about 3 minutes in I'm lead, Blue team passes ball to a player just below free throw extended on my side. I slide out (he's near sideline) and then he drives right. I have a great look at both players, peripherally I clearly see him step on the line, blow the whistle, and I knew right away I had made a mistake.

I went with IW, ball to Team Blue on the endline. Coach of the JV team was in the stands, says the same thing had happened in the previous game (small consolation). Later at a break, my partner says his approach is go with out-of-bounds (even though the 'wrong' line is 18" on to the court) and then quickly get something going the other way (make up call). I nod, and say that I get it. His reasoning is that by admitting your mistake there you have given both teams ammunition to question every call from then on.

I say, fess up, get it as right as you can and proceed from there.
Old Mon Dec 22, 2008, 09:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by referee99 View Post
Later at a break, my partner says his approach is go with out-of-bounds (even though the 'wrong' line is 18" on to the court) and then quickly get something going the other way (make up call). I nod, and say that I get it. His reasoning is that by admitting your mistake there you have given both teams ammunition to question every call from then on.

I say, fess up, get it as right as you can and proceed from there.
Your partner's in la la land.

IW, POI. Mistakes happen, and this one is easily corrected.