The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 22, 2008, 10:25pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonInKansas View Post
Your partner's in la la land.

IW, POI. Mistakes happen, and this one is easily corrected.
Exactly. If someone who matters is sitting in the stands or standing along that line when you do it, you're screwed.
More importantly, you've just knowingly screwed a team out of a possession. That's bad officiating, IMO.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by referee99 View Post
Later at a break, my partner says his approach is go with out-of-bounds (even though the 'wrong' line is 18" on to the court) and then quickly get something going the other way (make up call). I nod, and say that I get it. His reasoning is that by admitting your mistake there you have given both teams ammunition to question every call from then on.

I believe that your partner's way loses respect and credibility. You actually gain both of those from admitting the mistake and showing the teams that you desire to get the calls right rather than just sticking to your call no matter what.

Also, the moment that he mentions purposely having a "make-up call" to me is the day that he ceases to be my partner. That is nothing more than outright cheating. Missed calls happen. If one happens and doesn't get corrected, purposely missing another one doesn't make it right. That just makes the officials look like they've now missed TWO calls. That behavior is what gives the teams ammunition to question you the rest of the game.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 11:24am
#thereferee99

Of course...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post

I believe that your partner's way loses respect and credibility. You actually gain both of those from admitting the mistake and showing the teams that you desire to get the calls right rather than just sticking to your call no matter what.

Also, the moment that he mentions purposely having a "make-up call" to me is the day that he ceases to be my partner. That is nothing more than outright cheating. Missed calls happen. If one happens and doesn't get corrected, purposely missing another one doesn't make it right. That just makes the officials look like they've now missed TWO calls. That behavior is what gives the teams ammunition to question you the rest of the game.
... I agree with you.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 12:06pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I didn't even catch the make up call part. I assumed that by "get something going the other way," he meant get the ball in play quickly.

Unreal.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post

Agreed. Certainly this won't be the first time the home team has seen such a call (the IW, that is). And, the visitors will recognize it for what it is as well, if they have any sense.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 12:51pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I've had an IW this year -- I thought a HC was asking for a timeout, he was calling for a play that sounded like "time out". I shrugged, called it an IW, the coaches shrugged, and I put the ball back into play.

Now, the officiating part:

Slow down. You anticipated a foul/call. As the level of play gets higher, you will do this and the player with the ball will do something remarkable and you will be standing there like you did.

Anticipate the play, let the fouls happen and then report them.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevadaref View Post
you actually gain both of those from admitting the mistake and showing the teams that you desire to get the calls right rather than just sticking to your call no matter what.
+1
Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 12:58pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I didn't even catch the make up call part. I assumed that by "get something going the other way," he meant get the ball in play quickly.

Unreal.
When I was working my second season of varsity basketball back in the early 90s, I was working 2-person with a crusty vet who was buds with the assignor.

We were in a dark gym and I had a long 3 where I really had to stay with the shooter. Ball bounced up, brushed a strap (I didn't see it) and I signaled a 3.

I had an idea I kicked something, but wasn't quite sure what. Next time down the floor, the ball went out of bounds on the team with the ball and I signaled and my partner immediately came in and overruled me even though the ball clearly wasn't tipped. I mean, so clearly, I was confused at this and looked at him and said, "No, it clearly went off blue." He blew his whistle and told me to do what he told me. I shrugged and put the ball in play -- I was still new to varsity ball.

In the locker room he dressed me down and told me of the virtues of the makeup call. I told him to please let me know when he wanted me to cheat for the other team and I'd be glad to ignore him. He scratched me as a partner and I was thrilled.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post

Unreal.
I still can't figure out from the post whether the partner actually said this, or whether the OP misinterpreted "get it going the other way" as a make-up call.

I disagree with the partner's sentiment on this particular play - this is an easy IW. That said, there are plenty of times when "get it going the other way" (as in, get the ball in play and the game moving) is excellent advice...
Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 01:05pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018 View Post
I still can't figure out from the post whether the partner actually said this, or whether the OP misinterpreted "get it going the other way" as a make-up call.

I disagree with the partner's sentiment on this particular play - this is an easy IW. That said, there are plenty of times when "get it going the other way" (as in, get the ball in play and the game moving) is excellent advice...
Agreed, that's why I thought it's what he meant on first read.