Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 26, 2008, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to shishstripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Sounds good, but as usual, do have any citations?
Not from the case book but...

Rule 10-3 Player Technical Art. 9...Be charged with fighting. Penalty Flagrant Foul.

Penalties (Rule 10 Summary) 8. Fighting
a. Players on the court:
(1) Corresponding number from each team (as in question 74) - double flagrant fouls, all participants are disqualified, no free throws are awarded, ball is put in play at the POI.

In my 10 years as a basketball official I have had only one near fight that I was able to squash. Late in the game had a two-hand push in the back by B1 that sent A1 into the bleachers (intentional foul). A1 comes out and shoves B1 (technical foul). B6 comes off the bench and gets to half court (flagrant technical foul). We were able to get things settled down, A1 shot two FTs, member of B shot two FTs, and member of A shot two more FTs and awarded team A with ball at division line.

When I was younger I did watch my home town team get involved with a full on fight where a players dad took a shot at one of our players after going into the stands to save a ball, our player retaliated, father's son came to his rescue, and then all heck broke loose. Officials rightly ended the game right then and there in the late 3rd quarter. Very disappointing when stuff like that happens. I honestly don't remember if enough players would have been left to finish the game.

Last edited by shishstripes; Fri Dec 26, 2008 at 04:05pm.
Old Fri Dec 26, 2008, 05:17pm
Esteemed Forum Member

False Double ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishstripes View Post
Not from the case book but...
I've got one from the casebook, however it doesn't exactly fit my simple situation, but it does demonstrate that live ball contact is a personal, not a technical foul. Ignore the players coming off the bench. Pay attention to the call on the two players that started the fight:

10.4.5 SITUATION A: Post-players A1 and B1 begin punching each other and play is stopped. Two substitutes from each team leave the bench area and come onto the court. The four substitutes: (a) do not become involved in the fight; (b) all become involved in the fight; or (c) substitutes A6, A7, and B6 do not participate in the fight, but B7 becomes involved in the fight. RULING: A1 and B1 are charged with flagrant fouls and are disqualified, but no free throws result from the double personal flagrant fouls. The four substitutes are charged with flagrant technical fouls and are disqualified. No free throws are awarded for the simultaneous technical fouls as the number of bench personnel leaving the bench and the penalties are the same for both teams. In (a), one technical foul is also charged indirectly to the head coach of each team. In (b), each head coach is charged indirectly with two technical fouls (one for each bench player leaving the bench and becoming involved in the fight). In (c), the Team A head coach is charged indirectly with one technical foul and the Team B head coach is indirectly charged with two technical fouls (one for substitutes B6 and B7 leaving the bench, and one for B7 becoming involved in the fight). In all situations, the ball is put in play at the point of interruption. (4-36; 7-5-3b)

In my simple case (A1 punches, dead ball, whistle, B2 punches), should this be treated as a false double foul? It can't be a double foul since both fouls of a double foul must be personal, or both fouls must be technical, by definition:

4-19-8: Double fouls:
a. A double personal foul is a situation in which two opponents commit personal fouls against each other at approximately the same time.
b. A double technical foul is a situation in which two opponents commit technical fouls against each other at approximately the same time.

I'm still confused. My best guess would be false double, first one flagrant personal, second one, flagrant technical. I can be convinced otherwise, so please don't give up guys.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Dec 27, 2008, 07:04am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to shishstripes
Interesting that the case book just uses "punches" rather than "fighting" as the question states. Either way flagrant and disqualified. Semantics may be confusing. Make sure coach is assessed indirects as required.
Old Sat Dec 27, 2008, 03:08pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Fighting is a flagrant act and can occur when the ball is dead or live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishstripes View Post
Interesting that the case book just uses "punches" rather than "fighting" as the question states. Either way flagrant and disqualified. Semantics may be confusing. Make sure coach is assessed indirects as required.
4-18: Fighting is a flagrant act and can occur when the ball is dead or live. Fighting includes, but is not limited to combative acts such as:
ART. 1 An attempt to strike, punch or kick by using a fist, hands, arms, legs
or feet regardless of whether contact is made.
ART. 2 An attempt to instigate a fight by committing an unsporting act that
causes a person to retaliate by fighting
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)