View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 21, 2008, 03:07pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANCHMAN View Post
I think that it is an excellent idea to dress at the school, and appreciate the advise. I just had no idea how important this was because I never found that topic in the rule book. I can understand this is not a subject that is on the top of the agenda while getting advise from more experienced officials, but maybe it should be.
It depends on where you are. Around here, it's drilled into us; show up looking professional, do not show up in your officiating uniform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANCHMAN View Post
Some small rural counties in Texas are very "tight knit", therefore if an "outsider" were to file charges against one of the "local folk", justice would never be served, so filing charges is out of the question.
It's your choice, but I disagree. Find out if it's considered a felony in Texas to assault an official. File the charges with the highest authority possible. If it goes nowhere, it goes nowhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANCHMAN
A few more experienced officals than I, seem to be more comfortable staying on one side of the court, so game management is a difficult task during these circumstances.
This is exactly why the mechanics are for us to move around and switch at the given opportunities.

Quote:
In hind-site I should have called a T on the coach, but they were in their new stadium, it was their tournament, and my partner with ten years experience obviously did not see a problem. I really like this guy, and I called him when I was driving home. He was eating with his daughters in the hospitality room, and he apologized for what happened, but I told him that I did not expect an apology from him for the action of others.
Your partner was right to apologize; he left you hanging out there. He should have backed you up. The first time coach yelled at you and you didn't deal with it, I would have talked to you about it if I was your partner. When she threatened that you'd never work there again, I would have given you about as long as it took her to finish repeating it to make the call, and if you didn't, I would have called a Flagrant Technical on her. A regular T isn't enough. This is a one and done T.
Quote:
I never try to acknoledge the crowd, so I probably would have had a difficult time trying to figure out who was cursing me in a packed gym.
Fair enough, but my rule of thumb is that if in spite of your best efforts the comments are bothering you and affecting your focus; it needs to be addressed.

Quote:
Finally, I do appreciate all the input, and I will try to do a better job with the knowledge I have gained.
This is the best way to approach it; a learning experience.