The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Multiple pre-game dunks. (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50407-multiple-pre-game-dunks.html)

referee99 Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:28am

Multiple pre-game dunks.

Saw this tonight in a BV game. During pre-game warm ups official says that two visiting players dunked, and one of them dunked twice. He said it would count as two personal fouls on A1 and one personal foul on A2. Coach would lose box, and Team B would start the game with 6 throws.

Is this right?

Nevadaref Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by referee99 (Post 559239)
Saw this tonight in a BV game. During pre-game warm ups official says that two visiting players dunked, and one of them dunked twice. He said it would count as two personal fouls on A1 and one personal foul on A2. Coach would lose box, and Team B would start the game with 6 throws.

Is this right?

Close, but no cigar.

The fouls are all technical fouls. The proper terminology is PLAYER technical foul. Instead of saying "personal" you should write "individual," but I'm sure that your meaning was the same.

A2 is disqualifed for being charged with two player technical fouls. He doesn't get to play tonight. A1 gets one and yes that counts towards his total of five for disqualification.

The Head Coach gets three indirect technical fouls. He not only loses the coaching box, but is actually disqualified as well.

Yes, Team B starts the game with 6 FTs and the ball at the division line.

Skarecrow Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by referee99 (Post 559239)

Is this right?

You mean, technicals? They would be technical fouls and not personals....

Skarecrow Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:41am

How and when is the pre-game dunk technical administered? Shouldn't the officials immediately notify the coach and player of the technical, thereby averting any additional T's for the same dunking? I don't see how 3 T's for pre-game dunking can occur....

just another ref Thu Dec 18, 2008 01:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 559241)

A2 is disqualifed for being charged with two player technical fouls. He doesn't get to play tonight. A1 gets one and yes that counts towards his total of five for disqualification.

The Head Coach gets three indirect technical fouls. He not only loses the coaching box, but is actually disqualified as well.

Yes, Team B starts the game with 6 FTs and the ball at the division line.

Something I've always wanted to see. I have a little talk prepared:

"Excuse me, coach, may I have a word? Yeah, first of all, I just want to tell you that I admire what an athletic team you have. Yessir, you really got some guys with some hops. But, we do have a little problem with your guys throwing it down in the warmup. OK, we got 2 T's on #1, so he's gone. We also have a T on #2. So we're gonna start the game with 6 free throws and then the other guys are gonna have the ball. Oh, yeah, and one other thing, coach. You have to leave, too. You have a nice day, now."

MOofficial Thu Dec 18, 2008 01:33am

In the conference I work in we had something similar but not as crazy. 2 guys dunked, 1 from each team. The R went up to both coaches and said "we can either start with 2 t's one on both teams/players/coach or we can just say they cancel each other out" Wouldn't you know it they opted for option 2

zm1283 Thu Dec 18, 2008 02:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOofficial (Post 559248)
In the conference I work in we had something similar but not as crazy. 2 guys dunked, 1 from each team. The R went up to both coaches and said "we can either start with 2 t's one on both teams/players/coach or we can just say they cancel each other out" Wouldn't you know it they opted for option 2

Why did they ignore the rule? Hand out two T's and move on. Assuming it's a varsity game, they should know better.

grunewar Thu Dec 18, 2008 05:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 559246)

"Excuse me, coach, may I have a word? Yeah, first of all, I just want to tell you that I admire what an athletic team you have. Yessir, you really got some guys with some hops. But, we do have a little problem with your guys throwing it down in the warmup. OK, we got 2 T's on #1, so he's gone. We also have a T on #2. So we're gonna start the game with 6 free throws and then the other guys are gonna have the ball. Oh, yeah, and one other thing, coach. You have to leave, too. You have a nice day, now."

JAR - you've got such a "court side" manner.

cdoug Thu Dec 18, 2008 07:51am

Quote:

So if there are 2 T's as in this situation (1 for each team) because they're before the start of the game is it a double foul, or since they (most likely) occurred at different times it's like any other foul and you enforce in the order they happened?

Rich Thu Dec 18, 2008 08:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by zm1283 (Post 559250)
Why did they ignore the rule? Hand out two T's and move on. Assuming it's a varsity game, they should know better.

I've always wondered why they make the officials deal with this kind of crap. If the schools don't want pre-game dunking to occur, let the coaches and game management deal with it, just like they'd have to deal with anything that happens after the final horn once we're away from the court.

In WI we have to be on the floor at 20:00 before the game. 20:00 is a long time to stand there and let all the stretching you've done go to waste. It would be much nicer if we could come out right at 12:00 and do the captains' meeting right away.

Rich Thu Dec 18, 2008 08:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 559246)

You WANT to see this? Seriously?

To me, pregame dunking would be a nightmare. I'd deal with it, but I know then I would lose any chance of having a civil relationship with that kid's coach (right or wrong) for the night.

I was working a boys game about 6 years ago when a kid from the visiting team went up and above the rim and kinda dropped the ball down from above without touching the rim. I almost had to whack the other coach who wouldn't quit asking me why that wasn't a technical and then tossed a rule book on the table while I was checking the books (it should've been a technical on the complaining coach, frankly, but I was stunned by this his pregame behavior -- didn't matter, the coach was properly whacked soon after the game started).

Sue me, but it had better be a grab the rim, no doubt about it dunk for me to get involved other than me stepping up and reminding the player not to be stupid.

derwil Thu Dec 18, 2008 09:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 559264)
I was working a boys game about 6 years ago when a kid from the visiting team went up and above the rim and kinda dropped the ball down from above without touching the rim.

When this happens during warm ups, I'll go over to the plater with a warning. Usually they tighten up right then and it's no longer an issue.

Skarecrow Thu Dec 18, 2008 09:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skarecrow (Post 559244)
How and when is the pre-game dunk technical administered? Shouldn't the officials immediately notify the coach and player of the technical, thereby averting any additional T's for the same dunking? I don't see how 3 T's for pre-game dunking can occur....

Still no answer to my question....Don't we IMMEDIATELY advise the coach? Why can we then have subsequent disqualifying T's called on the same player?

grunewar Thu Dec 18, 2008 09:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by derwil (Post 559275)
When this happens during warm ups, I'll go over to the plater with a warning. Usually they tighten up right then and it's no longer an issue.

During a V scrimmage earlier this yr I not only talked to the player, but also the coach - who proceeded to tear the player a new one! I doubt he or his fellow team mates will do it again.

Nevadaref Thu Dec 18, 2008 09:13am

Quote:

The R is a coward. Why are people so afraid of handing down the proper penalties?

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdoug (Post 559261)
So if there are 2 T's as in this situation (1 for each team) because they're before the start of the game is it a double foul, or since they (most likely) occurred at different times it's like any other foul and you enforce in the order they happened?

False double foul due to the likely time difference = penalize in the order of occurrence.