The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Multiple pre-game dunks. (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50407-multiple-pre-game-dunks.html)

referee99 Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:28am

Multiple pre-game dunks.

Saw this tonight in a BV game. During pre-game warm ups official says that two visiting players dunked, and one of them dunked twice. He said it would count as two personal fouls on A1 and one personal foul on A2. Coach would lose box, and Team B would start the game with 6 throws.

Is this right?

Nevadaref Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by referee99 (Post 559239)
Saw this tonight in a BV game. During pre-game warm ups official says that two visiting players dunked, and one of them dunked twice. He said it would count as two personal fouls on A1 and one personal foul on A2. Coach would lose box, and Team B would start the game with 6 throws.

Is this right?

Close, but no cigar.

The fouls are all technical fouls. The proper terminology is PLAYER technical foul. Instead of saying "personal" you should write "individual," but I'm sure that your meaning was the same.

A2 is disqualifed for being charged with two player technical fouls. He doesn't get to play tonight. A1 gets one and yes that counts towards his total of five for disqualification.

The Head Coach gets three indirect technical fouls. He not only loses the coaching box, but is actually disqualified as well.

Yes, Team B starts the game with 6 FTs and the ball at the division line.

Skarecrow Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by referee99 (Post 559239)

Is this right?

You mean, technicals? They would be technical fouls and not personals....

Skarecrow Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:41am

How and when is the pre-game dunk technical administered? Shouldn't the officials immediately notify the coach and player of the technical, thereby averting any additional T's for the same dunking? I don't see how 3 T's for pre-game dunking can occur....

just another ref Thu Dec 18, 2008 01:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 559241)

A2 is disqualifed for being charged with two player technical fouls. He doesn't get to play tonight. A1 gets one and yes that counts towards his total of five for disqualification.

The Head Coach gets three indirect technical fouls. He not only loses the coaching box, but is actually disqualified as well.

Yes, Team B starts the game with 6 FTs and the ball at the division line.

Something I've always wanted to see. I have a little talk prepared:

"Excuse me, coach, may I have a word? Yeah, first of all, I just want to tell you that I admire what an athletic team you have. Yessir, you really got some guys with some hops. But, we do have a little problem with your guys throwing it down in the warmup. OK, we got 2 T's on #1, so he's gone. We also have a T on #2. So we're gonna start the game with 6 free throws and then the other guys are gonna have the ball. Oh, yeah, and one other thing, coach. You have to leave, too. You have a nice day, now."

MOofficial Thu Dec 18, 2008 01:33am

In the conference I work in we had something similar but not as crazy. 2 guys dunked, 1 from each team. The R went up to both coaches and said "we can either start with 2 t's one on both teams/players/coach or we can just say they cancel each other out" Wouldn't you know it they opted for option 2

zm1283 Thu Dec 18, 2008 02:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOofficial (Post 559248)
In the conference I work in we had something similar but not as crazy. 2 guys dunked, 1 from each team. The R went up to both coaches and said "we can either start with 2 t's one on both teams/players/coach or we can just say they cancel each other out" Wouldn't you know it they opted for option 2

Why did they ignore the rule? Hand out two T's and move on. Assuming it's a varsity game, they should know better.

grunewar Thu Dec 18, 2008 05:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 559246)

"Excuse me, coach, may I have a word? Yeah, first of all, I just want to tell you that I admire what an athletic team you have. Yessir, you really got some guys with some hops. But, we do have a little problem with your guys throwing it down in the warmup. OK, we got 2 T's on #1, so he's gone. We also have a T on #2. So we're gonna start the game with 6 free throws and then the other guys are gonna have the ball. Oh, yeah, and one other thing, coach. You have to leave, too. You have a nice day, now."

JAR - you've got such a "court side" manner.

cdoug Thu Dec 18, 2008 07:51am

Quote:

So if there are 2 T's as in this situation (1 for each team) because they're before the start of the game is it a double foul, or since they (most likely) occurred at different times it's like any other foul and you enforce in the order they happened?

Rich Thu Dec 18, 2008 08:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by zm1283 (Post 559250)
Why did they ignore the rule? Hand out two T's and move on. Assuming it's a varsity game, they should know better.

I've always wondered why they make the officials deal with this kind of crap. If the schools don't want pre-game dunking to occur, let the coaches and game management deal with it, just like they'd have to deal with anything that happens after the final horn once we're away from the court.

In WI we have to be on the floor at 20:00 before the game. 20:00 is a long time to stand there and let all the stretching you've done go to waste. It would be much nicer if we could come out right at 12:00 and do the captains' meeting right away.

Rich Thu Dec 18, 2008 08:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 559246)

You WANT to see this? Seriously?

To me, pregame dunking would be a nightmare. I'd deal with it, but I know then I would lose any chance of having a civil relationship with that kid's coach (right or wrong) for the night.

I was working a boys game about 6 years ago when a kid from the visiting team went up and above the rim and kinda dropped the ball down from above without touching the rim. I almost had to whack the other coach who wouldn't quit asking me why that wasn't a technical and then tossed a rule book on the table while I was checking the books (it should've been a technical on the complaining coach, frankly, but I was stunned by this his pregame behavior -- didn't matter, the coach was properly whacked soon after the game started).

Sue me, but it had better be a grab the rim, no doubt about it dunk for me to get involved other than me stepping up and reminding the player not to be stupid.

derwil Thu Dec 18, 2008 09:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 559264)
I was working a boys game about 6 years ago when a kid from the visiting team went up and above the rim and kinda dropped the ball down from above without touching the rim.

When this happens during warm ups, I'll go over to the plater with a warning. Usually they tighten up right then and it's no longer an issue.

Skarecrow Thu Dec 18, 2008 09:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skarecrow (Post 559244)
How and when is the pre-game dunk technical administered? Shouldn't the officials immediately notify the coach and player of the technical, thereby averting any additional T's for the same dunking? I don't see how 3 T's for pre-game dunking can occur....

Still no answer to my question....Don't we IMMEDIATELY advise the coach? Why can we then have subsequent disqualifying T's called on the same player?

grunewar Thu Dec 18, 2008 09:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by derwil (Post 559275)
When this happens during warm ups, I'll go over to the plater with a warning. Usually they tighten up right then and it's no longer an issue.

During a V scrimmage earlier this yr I not only talked to the player, but also the coach - who proceeded to tear the player a new one! I doubt he or his fellow team mates will do it again.

Nevadaref Thu Dec 18, 2008 09:13am

Quote:

The R is a coward. Why are people so afraid of handing down the proper penalties?

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdoug (Post 559261)
So if there are 2 T's as in this situation (1 for each team) because they're before the start of the game is it a double foul, or since they (most likely) occurred at different times it's like any other foul and you enforce in the order they happened?

False double foul due to the likely time difference = penalize in the order of occurrence.

Adam Thu Dec 18, 2008 09:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 559264)
I was working a boys game about 6 years ago when a kid from the visiting team went up and above the rim and kinda dropped the ball down from above without touching the rim.

I had this in a boys sophomore game last weekend. I told his teammate to send him to me, and promptly explained that he doesn't want to make me decide whether that was a dunk or not.

archangel Thu Dec 18, 2008 09:25am

Quote:

In the conference I work in we had something similar but not as crazy. 2 guys dunked, 1 from each team.

I understand the- administer the T's in order of occurred, but then what? Jump ball? That just doesnt sound right. Give the ball to the 1st team that dunked?

Ignats75 Thu Dec 18, 2008 09:27am

Quote:

To me, pregame dunking would be a nightmare. I'd deal with it, but I know then I would lose any chance of having a civil relationship with that kid's coach (right or wrong) for the night.
In this case, there is no relationship with him. He's otta there. In Ohio, a coach's ejection comes with a $100.00 fine, a two game suspension and the mandatory completion of an on-line course with the OHSAA that includes subjects like anger management (which I think he would need for the next practice). Frankly, if his team is that undisciplined, he deserves it.

I agree with Nevada Ref. The R is a coward and has no place doing Varsity level work if he's going to set aside rules like that.

I had a kid dunk in pregame right as we hit the court. (They didn't know we were there yet). I called him over and told him I wanted him to go tell his coach why the other team was going to start the game with two free throws and the ball and his coach has to sit all night. The look on his face was priceless.

Nevadaref Thu Dec 18, 2008 09:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by archangel (Post 559289)
I understand the- administer the T's in order of occurred, but then what? Jump ball? That just doesnt sound right. Give the ball to the 1st team that dunked?

Yep, and the other team is going to get the arrow when you put the ball at the disposal of the thrower.

Rich Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ignats75 (Post 559292)
In this case, there is no relationship with him. He's otta there. In Ohio, a coach's ejection comes with a $100.00 fine, a two game suspension and the mandatory completion of an on-line course with the OHSAA that includes subjects like anger management (which I think he would need for the next practice). Frankly, if his team is that undisciplined, he deserves it.

I agree with Nevada Ref. The R is a coward and has no place doing Varsity level work if he's going to set aside rules like that.

I had a kid dunk in pregame right as we hit the court. (They didn't know we were there yet). I called him over and told him I wanted him to go tell his coach why the other team was going to start the game with two free throws and the ball and his coach has to sit all night. The look on his face was priceless.

Telling the kid to do it is avoiding your job, IMO.

The second and third dunks shouldn't have happened. If I'm going to call a technical foul for this, I'm digging my whistle out from inside my shirt and making everyone aware of what just happened. I sureashell am not going to allow a second and third dunk to happen.

Nevadaref Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 559324)
Telling the kid to do it is avoiding your job, IMO.

The second and third dunks shouldn't have happened. If I'm going to call a technical foul for this, I'm digging my whistle out from inside my shirt and making everyone aware of what just happened. I sureashell am not going to allow a second and third dunk to happen.

You might wish to refresh yourself on the proper mechanic for handling a pregame dunk because you're completely wrong.

Ignats75 Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:20am

I didn't say thats what I did. Thats what I told the kid he was going to have to do.

Rich Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 559327)
You might wish to refresh yourself on the proper mechanic for handling a pregame dunk because you're completely wrong.

I couldn't possibly care what the book mechanic is here.

BigTex Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:31am

Whistle when you come out?

Most guys in the association I used to work give a tweet when they walk out. Their rationale was that now the players know we are here and they will not dunk. I have never liked that, I think it brings undue attention to the crew. The players and coaches know not to dunk, penalize when necessary.

Anyone else blow the whistle when they eneter?

Adam Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTex (Post 559360)
Most guys in the association I used to work give a tweet when they walk out. Their rationale was that now the players know we are here and they will not dunk. I have never liked that, I think it brings undue attention to the crew. The players and coaches know not to dunk, penalize when necessary.

I've heard other Texas refs say they do this. I'm not sure it's done anywhere else, though. I've never seen it done.

Nevadaref Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTex (Post 559360)

Prior thread on this topic: http://forum.officiating.com/basketb...t-pregame.html

Scrapper1 Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:03pm

Quote:

I agree completely.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 559337)
I couldn't possibly care what the book mechanic is here.

I agree completely. :D

icallfouls Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:23pm

Had this situation several years ago, when I was starting to get V games, although we only had 2 dunks during warmups by the same player. This is more interesting than 3 in my opinion, because the team lost its best player, and kept one of the most difficult coaches in the game but required to sit the entire game.

My partner, R, had the T's on his end, I only saw one of them, the home team coach sees the whole thing. What made this more difficult is my experienced partner only wanted to give one T, and let the coach use the box. I looked at him and said "it's your call, and by the way, the rulebook will not support you either."

Middle of the first qtr, his team commits a foul and we are shooting FT's, he is up, complaining about the call. I go over and remind him that he must coach from the seated position. His reply "who are you?", "why are you talking to me?" My reply, "I am trying to keep you in this game, its a better game with you here." From then on it was all gravy. It probably helped that he destroyed the home team anyway. The dunker went on to win a state championship, and an NCAA championship at Kansas.

Amesman Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:27pm

Quote:

Thought that might be the case, but can you clarify what you meant to him?

Also, wondering what the response is to Skarecrow's:
Still no answer to my question....Don't we IMMEDIATELY advise the coach? Why can we then have subsequent disqualifying T's called on the same player?

Just wanna get it right ...

Adam Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amesman (Post 559378)
Thought that might be the case, but can you clarify what you meant to him?

Also, wondering what the response is to Skarecrow's:

Just wanna get it right ...

It's possible, even if you head directly for the coach, that the knucklehead would do it again before you got to the coach.

referee99 Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:43pm

Two great quotes in one post? Sweet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by icallfouls (Post 559376)
"it's your call, and by the way, the rulebook will not support you either."

"I am trying to keep you in this game, its a better game with you here."

I'll be stealing both of those, thank you!

Amesman Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 559381)
It's possible, even if you head directly for the coach, that the knucklehead would do it again before you got to the coach.

Good point. To get back to what I think Skarecrow was alluding to, then do you just keep a mental scorecard as you observe and then let the coaches and book know at 0:00 who dunked, how many times, etc. (these things can come in bunches if it starts happening at all), why coach will be collecting splinters all night, etc.? And the mechanic?

Adam Thu Dec 18, 2008 01:08pm

Honestly, I'm with Rich on the mechanics. Don't know and have a hard time caring.

If I see it, I'll tell the player when i get his attention. I'll also get his number at that time, and walk over to the coach and let him know. I'll then tell the scorer and the other coach. Unless someone can give me a compellling reason to do it differently.

Rich Thu Dec 18, 2008 01:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 559391)
Honestly, I'm with Rich on the mechanics. Don't know and have a hard time caring.

If I see it, I'll tell the player when i get his attention. I'll also get his number at that time, and walk over to the coach and let him know. I'll then tell the scorer and the other coach. Unless someone can give me a compellling reason to do it differently.

I'm waiting for someone to make an argument that maybe someone on the other team might dunk and only the first dunk would get penalized. :D

But that's not my problem. I am most likely (unless I can't get away with it) going to try to prevent starting the game with a technical, but if someone slams one home I'll take care of it and by extension prevent any more from happening.

With my luck, this will all happen tonight.

bob jenkins Thu Dec 18, 2008 01:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amesman (Post 559387)
Good point. To get back to what I think Skarecrow was alluding to, then do you just keep a mental scorecard as you observe and then let the coaches and book know at 0:00 who dunked, how many times, etc. (these things can come in bunches if it starts happening at all), why coach will be collecting splinters all night, etc.? And the mechanic?

No. You tell the coach right away. That doesn't mean that the second kid in line won't dunk before you can get to the coach, or that the first kid won't come through the line again.

icallfouls Thu Dec 18, 2008 01:38pm

Depending on the game, I have even gone to game management, and told them to let both coaches know that the officials will be on court at 15:00, in the hopes that some preventative officiating and preventative coaching will prevail.

Seems to work pretty well.

If you have good game management they will post people near the area where the officials come onto the floor and notify the teams that the officials will be taking the floor.

Adam Thu Dec 18, 2008 01:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by icallfouls (Post 559404)
If you have good game management they will post people near the area where the officials come onto the floor and notify the teams that the officials will be taking the floor.

Nonsense. I could just as easily claim that if you have good coaching, it won't matter.

The fact is, it's regional. Around here, kids just expect that they won't be able to dunk during warmups. If they want to do it anyway, they should look and see if we're there. We always look the same pre-game; black pants, black shoes, black jacket, standing at or around half-court away from the table.

Ignats75 Thu Dec 18, 2008 02:28pm

As usual, Snaqwells gets it right.

icallfouls Thu Dec 18, 2008 02:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 559407)
Nonsense. I could just as easily claim that if you have good coaching, it won't matter.

The fact is, it's regional. Around here, kids just expect that they won't be able to dunk during warmups. If they want to do it anyway, they should look and see if we're there. We always look the same pre-game; black pants, black shoes, black jacket, standing at or around half-court away from the table.

Snaqs, you are misunderstanding what I said. I said that if you have good game management, they will take care of it. I was not saying go to them and tell them to deal with it. Some schools around here have people that take care of notifying the teams to stop their high flying acts just before we hit the floor. I am in no way saying this is something I do or recommend doing.

Man In Blue Thu Dec 18, 2008 03:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by icallfouls (Post 559404)
Depending on the game, I have even gone to game management, and told them to let both coaches know that the officials will be on court at 15:00, in the hopes that some preventative officiating and preventative coaching will prevail.

Seems to work pretty well.

So you are saying that if you come out and there is 15:30 on the clock you wouldn't call the T?

icallfouls Thu Dec 18, 2008 03:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Man In Blue (Post 559462)
So you are saying that if you come out and there is 15:30 on the clock you wouldn't call the T?

You are missing the point, that game management tells the players, coaches, whatever, that the officials are on their way. Therefore, the officials don't get the chance to see pregame dunks. They do this so that the teams don't get caught.

Yes, if pre-game dunking occurs while I am in the visual confines, it gets called.

jalons Thu Dec 18, 2008 08:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amesman (Post 559387)

I have been taught to have the official observing that team speak with the player who dunked and get his jersey number in case he is wearing a warm-up shirt immediately, inform the player who dunked of the consequences of his actions, and then inform the coach of the "good" news.

I've only had this happen one time. We handled the situation this way and everything ran smoothly. Of course next time could be the total opposite.

BillyMac Thu Dec 18, 2008 09:00pm

Specific, Or General, Mechanic ???

Quote:

You might wish to refresh yourself on the proper mechanic for handling a pregame dunk.

Nevadaref: I understand the rule, and the various permutations of double, false double, seat belt, ejections, etc., but I'm not aware of any specific NFHS mechanics for pregame dunks. Are you saying to treat it like any other technical foul, whistle, fist, etc.? If not, can you refresh us on the proper mechanics for this specific play, either NFHS, or NCAA?

Nevadaref Fri Dec 19, 2008 01:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 559553)
Nevadaref: I understand the rule, and the various permutations of double, false double, seat belt, ejections, etc., but I'm not aware of any specific NFHS mechanics for pregame dunks. Are you saying to treat it like any other technical foul, whistle, fist, etc.? If not, can you refresh us on the proper mechanics for this specific play, either NFHS, or NCAA?

It has been a while since this came up, so I don't recall where I read it, but it was published somewhere.

The procedure given was:
No whistle, inform team member, inform coach, inform table crew.

I'll see if I can locate the source.

Nevadaref Fri Dec 19, 2008 02:33am

I'm not very good with the search function on this forum, but I did find this:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 275833)
We tell all of our officials in a pre-season meeting how we want them to handle pre-game dunks. We want it called uniformly in all games; that way nobody has any complaints:
- a pre-game dunk is never ignored. It must be called.
- Do not sound your whistle, but immediately go and tell the dunker that he has just earned himself a technical foul.
- Now go the dunker's head coach and immediately inform him/her the number of their player that just received the dunking "T". Also inform the head coach that he/she will also be charged with an indirect "T" and has lost the right to use the coaching box for the entire game.
- Inform the scorer - get the player "T" and indirect "T" to the coach entered in the score book. Also make sure that one foul gets charged towards the first-half bonus and the scorer knows how to set the AP arrow after the free throws for the "T".
- Inform the opposing coach that his team will start the game with 2 free throws and a throw-in at center.

In your situation, there ain't much you can do if the officials on the game choose to ignore it. Just shake your head and forget it. Not a bad idea to make it part of your own pre-game though so your crew gets it right.

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Dec 23rd, 2005 at 06:39 PM]

Adam Sat Dec 20, 2008 02:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by icallfouls (Post 559448)
Snaqs, you are misunderstanding what I said. I said that if you have good game management, they will take care of it. I was not saying go to them and tell them to deal with it. Some schools around here have people that take care of notifying the teams to stop their high flying acts just before we hit the floor. I am in no way saying this is something I do or recommend doing.

I meant to address this earlier, but the office Christmas party called and I wasn't about to turn away the Honey Baked Ham.

I understood you perfectly. My point is that for most of us, game management has nothing to do with pregame dunks; nor should they. No one needs to tell the kids not to dunk, because their coaches have already taught them not to. I never implied you said we should let game admin deal with it or go to them.

I simply disagree that "good game management" will make sure the kids stop playing naughty before I get on the court. They may do it where you are, but not here. GM greets us, lets us in the room, escorts us back to the room at half time and games end, and gets us water. Half the time, they do not see us walk onto the court.

My beef is with the implication of your statement about good game management. It implies that game management that doesn't babysit the players for both teams isn't "good." Maybe it's a requirement for them in your area of the country, but I'd say your area is in the minority from what I can tell in this forum.

Nevadaref Sun Dec 21, 2008 06:07pm

Found it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 559553)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 559594)
It has been a while since this came up, so I don't recall where I read it, but it was published somewhere.

The procedure given was:
No whistle, inform team member, inform coach, inform table crew.

I'll see if I can locate the source.

Here is the specific direction from the NFHS for this:

10.3.3 SITUATION C:
Fifteen minutes before the game is scheduled to start,
team member A1 dunks. Two minutes later A2 dunks.
RULING: A1 and A2 are
both charged with a technical foul. In addition, the head coach is charged indirectly
with a technical foul for each act. The two fouls are team fouls for purpose
of reaching the bonus. When dunking occurs during the pregame practice period
the official notifies the team member and the head coach, but does not sound the
whistle. If the game is played in a state which utilizes the optional coaching box,
the coach should be informed that he/she has lost the privilege of using the
coaching box for the entire game.

Rich Sun Dec 21, 2008 07:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 560414)
Here is the specific direction from the NFHS for this:

10.3.3 SITUATION C:
Fifteen minutes before the game is scheduled to start,
team member A1 dunks. Two minutes later A2 dunks.
RULING: A1 and A2 are
both charged with a technical foul. In addition, the head coach is charged indirectly
with a technical foul for each act. The two fouls are team fouls for purpose
of reaching the bonus. When dunking occurs during the pregame practice period
the official notifies the team member and the head coach, but does not sound the
whistle. If the game is played in a state which utilizes the optional coaching box,
the coach should be informed that he/she has lost the privilege of using the
coaching box for the entire game.

Hold on while I fax you a cookie. Or would you prefer a quarter so you can call someone who cares? :D

BillyMac Sun Dec 21, 2008 08:11pm

That Should Conclude This Episode Of "As The Basketball Turns" ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 560414)
Here is the specific direction from the NFHS for this. 10.3.3 SITUATION C: When dunking occurs during the pregame practice period the official notifies the team member and the head coach, but does not sound the whistle.

Nevadaref: You the man !!! Wait. You've been working on this since Thursday morning, and are only now posting the conclusive caseplay. You can post an archived interpretation from seven years ago in a few minutes, and it takes you more than three days to post a caseplay from this year's casebook? You're weird.

Moderators: Close the thread. Nevadaref has left the building, without blowing his whistle.

tjones1 Mon Dec 22, 2008 02:04am

Hold the phone...

Let's say Larry, Moe, Curly, and Shimp all dunk during pre-game warm-ups.

The head coach is ejected.

Do all four indirects go to the head coach or does one go to the assistant who is now taking over for the head coach?

Nevadaref Mon Dec 22, 2008 02:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjones1 (Post 560533)
Let's say Larry, Moe, Curly, and Shimp all dunk during pre-game warm-ups.

The head coach is ejected.

Do all four indirects go to the head coach or does one go to the assistant who is now taking over for the head coach?

http://forum.officiating.com/basketb...tml#post560418

Adam Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 560535)

I'd say it depends. If all four happened prior to the coach being notified, then he gets all four. If he gets notified, then Shimp adds his two cents' worth, new HC gets the 4th indirect.