The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Multiple pre-game dunks. (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50407-multiple-pre-game-dunks.html)

Adam Thu Dec 18, 2008 09:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 559264)
I was working a boys game about 6 years ago when a kid from the visiting team went up and above the rim and kinda dropped the ball down from above without touching the rim.

I had this in a boys sophomore game last weekend. I told his teammate to send him to me, and promptly explained that he doesn't want to make me decide whether that was a dunk or not.

archangel Thu Dec 18, 2008 09:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOofficial (Post 559248)
In the conference I work in we had something similar but not as crazy. 2 guys dunked, 1 from each team.

I understand the- administer the T's in order of occurred, but then what? Jump ball? That just doesnt sound right. Give the ball to the 1st team that dunked?

Ignats75 Thu Dec 18, 2008 09:27am

Quote:

To me, pregame dunking would be a nightmare. I'd deal with it, but I know then I would lose any chance of having a civil relationship with that kid's coach (right or wrong) for the night.
In this case, there is no relationship with him. He's otta there. In Ohio, a coach's ejection comes with a $100.00 fine, a two game suspension and the mandatory completion of an on-line course with the OHSAA that includes subjects like anger management (which I think he would need for the next practice). Frankly, if his team is that undisciplined, he deserves it.

I agree with Nevada Ref. The R is a coward and has no place doing Varsity level work if he's going to set aside rules like that.

I had a kid dunk in pregame right as we hit the court. (They didn't know we were there yet). I called him over and told him I wanted him to go tell his coach why the other team was going to start the game with two free throws and the ball and his coach has to sit all night. The look on his face was priceless.

Nevadaref Thu Dec 18, 2008 09:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by archangel (Post 559289)
I understand the- administer the T's in order of occurred, but then what? Jump ball? That just doesnt sound right. Give the ball to the 1st team that dunked?

Yep, and the other team is going to get the arrow when you put the ball at the disposal of the thrower.

Rich Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ignats75 (Post 559292)
In this case, there is no relationship with him. He's otta there. In Ohio, a coach's ejection comes with a $100.00 fine, a two game suspension and the mandatory completion of an on-line course with the OHSAA that includes subjects like anger management (which I think he would need for the next practice). Frankly, if his team is that undisciplined, he deserves it.

I agree with Nevada Ref. The R is a coward and has no place doing Varsity level work if he's going to set aside rules like that.

I had a kid dunk in pregame right as we hit the court. (They didn't know we were there yet). I called him over and told him I wanted him to go tell his coach why the other team was going to start the game with two free throws and the ball and his coach has to sit all night. The look on his face was priceless.

Telling the kid to do it is avoiding your job, IMO.

The second and third dunks shouldn't have happened. If I'm going to call a technical foul for this, I'm digging my whistle out from inside my shirt and making everyone aware of what just happened. I sureashell am not going to allow a second and third dunk to happen.

Nevadaref Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 559324)
Telling the kid to do it is avoiding your job, IMO.

The second and third dunks shouldn't have happened. If I'm going to call a technical foul for this, I'm digging my whistle out from inside my shirt and making everyone aware of what just happened. I sureashell am not going to allow a second and third dunk to happen.

You might wish to refresh yourself on the proper mechanic for handling a pregame dunk because you're completely wrong.

Ignats75 Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:20am

I didn't say thats what I did. Thats what I told the kid he was going to have to do.

Rich Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 559327)
You might wish to refresh yourself on the proper mechanic for handling a pregame dunk because you're completely wrong.

I couldn't possibly care what the book mechanic is here.

BigTex Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:31am

Whistle when you come out?

Most guys in the association I used to work give a tweet when they walk out. Their rationale was that now the players know we are here and they will not dunk. I have never liked that, I think it brings undue attention to the crew. The players and coaches know not to dunk, penalize when necessary.

Anyone else blow the whistle when they eneter?

Adam Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTex (Post 559360)
Most guys in the association I used to work give a tweet when they walk out. Their rationale was that now the players know we are here and they will not dunk. I have never liked that, I think it brings undue attention to the crew. The players and coaches know not to dunk, penalize when necessary.

I've heard other Texas refs say they do this. I'm not sure it's done anywhere else, though. I've never seen it done.

Nevadaref Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTex (Post 559360)

Prior thread on this topic: http://forum.officiating.com/basketb...t-pregame.html

Scrapper1 Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:03pm

Quote:

I agree completely.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 559337)
I couldn't possibly care what the book mechanic is here.

I agree completely. :D

icallfouls Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:23pm

Had this situation several years ago, when I was starting to get V games, although we only had 2 dunks during warmups by the same player. This is more interesting than 3 in my opinion, because the team lost its best player, and kept one of the most difficult coaches in the game but required to sit the entire game.

My partner, R, had the T's on his end, I only saw one of them, the home team coach sees the whole thing. What made this more difficult is my experienced partner only wanted to give one T, and let the coach use the box. I looked at him and said "it's your call, and by the way, the rulebook will not support you either."

Middle of the first qtr, his team commits a foul and we are shooting FT's, he is up, complaining about the call. I go over and remind him that he must coach from the seated position. His reply "who are you?", "why are you talking to me?" My reply, "I am trying to keep you in this game, its a better game with you here." From then on it was all gravy. It probably helped that he destroyed the home team anyway. The dunker went on to win a state championship, and an NCAA championship at Kansas.

Amesman Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:27pm

Quote:

Thought that might be the case, but can you clarify what you meant to him?

Also, wondering what the response is to Skarecrow's:
Still no answer to my question....Don't we IMMEDIATELY advise the coach? Why can we then have subsequent disqualifying T's called on the same player?

Just wanna get it right ...

Adam Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amesman (Post 559378)
Thought that might be the case, but can you clarify what you meant to him?

Also, wondering what the response is to Skarecrow's:
Still no answer to my question....Don't we IMMEDIATELY advise the coach? Why can we then have subsequent disqualifying T's called on the same player?

Just wanna get it right ...

It's possible, even if you head directly for the coach, that the knucklehead would do it again before you got to the coach.