The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 15, 2008, 07:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Penalized if discovered while being violated: A team shall not have more than five team members participating simultaneously. Team technical foul. A team technical foul is charged if recognized by an official before the ball becomes live following the first dead ball. If it was not recognized by either official, but was called to their attention after the ball became live following the first dead ball, it is too late to assess any penalty.
That is probably the latest that one could assess the technical, but the infraction must be recognized well before that. Your statement makes it sound as if the official can recognize and penalize the offense during the dead ball period. That's simply not the case.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Mon Dec 15, 2008 at 07:29am.
Old Mon Dec 15, 2008, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Penalized if discovered while being violated: A team shall not have more than five team members participating simultaneously. Team technical foul. A team technical foul is charged if recognized by an official before the ball becomes live following the first dead ball. If it was not recognized by either official, but was called to their attention after the ball became live following the first dead ball, it is too late to assess any penalty.
10.1.6 SITUATION: With Team A leading 51 to 50, a held ball is called. A6 properly reports and enters the game. Time is then called by Team A. The clock shows two seconds remaining in the game. After play is resumed by a throw-in, the officials do not notice Team A has six players on the court. Following the throw-in, time expires. Team B now reports to the officials that Team A had six players on the court. RULING: Since it was not recognized by either official, but was called to their attention after time had expired, it is too late to assess any penalty.
Old Mon Dec 15, 2008, 02:18pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post

Now we can tackle your situation. The team doesn't have six players on the court. That is impossible by definition. It has five players and one other team member.

4-34-3: A substitute becomes a player when he legally enters the court. If entry is not legal, the substitute becomes a player when the ball becomes live.

So which of the 6 guys on the court is not a player?

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Dec 15, 2008, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
4-34-3: A substitute becomes a player when he legally enters the court. If entry is not legal, the substitute becomes a player when the ball becomes live.

So which of the 6 guys on the court is not a player?
The player the sub was supposed to replace.

But, what does it really matter? It's a team T.
Old Mon Dec 15, 2008, 02:24pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
The NFHS uses the word "participate" in a couple of ways. Unfortunately, the usage is not precise and one has to know from context what the NFHS is saying. It basically means to become a player or to engage in game activity. Sitting on the bench or checking in at the scorer's table definitely do not qualify as participation.

However, coming out onto the floor in an attempt to enter the game is a gray area. Sometimes it qualifies and sometimes it doesn't. The difference comes down to whether or not the entry was legal. If it was then, the team member is a player and has participated. If not, then the team member is NOT a player and has not participated.
4-34-5: (again) If entry is not legal, the substitute becomes a player when the ball becomes live.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Dec 15, 2008, 02:39pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by newera21 View Post
10.1.6 SITUATION: With Team A leading 51 to 50, a held ball is called. A6 properly reports and enters the game. Time is then called by Team A. The clock shows two seconds remaining in the game. After play is resumed by a throw-in, the officials do not notice Team A has six players on the court. Following the throw-in, time expires. Team B now reports to the officials that Team A had six players on the court. RULING: Since it was not recognized by either official, but was called to their attention after time had expired, it is too late to assess any penalty.
No doubt it is too late in this case. I think this also applies during the game. If the officials do not actually observe 6 players, they can't take the word of anyone else. But, if I observe 6 players on the court, then the whistle blows, then the actual count takes place during a dead ball, I have no problem calling the technical at this time.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Dec 15, 2008, 07:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
4-34-5: (again) If entry is not legal, the substitute becomes a player when the ball becomes live.
My comment was in the context of BEFORE the ball becomes live.

Also, there is a cap on the number of players. It cannot ever exceed five.

Case Play 10.1.6 is an example of sloppy writing. The author used imprecise terminology.
Old Mon Dec 15, 2008, 08:37pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Advice Please ...

Quote:
That is probably the latest that one could assess the technical, but the infraction must be recognized well before that. Your statement makes it sound as if the official can recognize and penalize the offense during the dead ball period. That's simply not the case.
Nevadaref: Good point. When I made my study guide, I had some concerns about this wording. I tried to adhere to the language in the rulebook, the casebook, or annual interpretations, as much as possible. Can you, or anybody else, please suggest a better way of wording this, trying to stick to language already in the rulebook, or casebook, as much as possible?

Here's how it looks now:
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Dec 16, 2008, 12:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
A team technical foul is charged if recognized by an official before the ball becomes live following the first dead ball.
OK question - I had a game last Friday night - two pathetic teams GV. I'm at lead underneath table side when the ball goes OOBs at the table. Team B subs and I see C coming over taking care of it. I watch the players in the post mulling around then catch the ball being inbounded from the corner of my eye. Girls on team B start looking around at each other....pass the ball a couple times....then one of them runs off the court to the bench. Crap - 6 players!

Obviously, neither C nor T counted prior to putting the ball at the disposal of the inbounder. I didn't notice what was going on until the player was off the court on the bench.

Could/should I have a T in that situation, even though it was not noticed until after the occurance? I had a pep talk with the 'ol partners between quarters and told them to retrieve their heads from their nether regions, but I'm still miffed that such a silly thing happened in my game.
Old Tue Dec 16, 2008, 12:53am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by derwil View Post
OK question - I had a game last Friday night - two pathetic teams GV. I'm at lead underneath table side when the ball goes OOBs at the table. Team B subs and I see C coming over taking care of it. I watch the players in the post mulling around then catch the ball being inbounded from the corner of my eye. Girls on team B start looking around at each other....pass the ball a couple times....then one of them runs off the court to the bench. Crap - 6 players!

Obviously, neither C nor T counted prior to putting the ball at the disposal of the inbounder. I didn't notice what was going on until the player was off the court on the bench.

Could/should I have a T in that situation, even though it was not noticed until after the occurance? I had a pep talk with the 'ol partners between quarters and told them to retrieve their heads from their nether regions, but I'm still miffed that such a silly thing happened in my game.
If you see one run off the court, and five still remain, that is discovered while being violated in my book. A technical is appropriate.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Dec 16, 2008, 12:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If you see one run off the court, and five still remain, that is discovered while being violated in my book. A technical is appropriate.
I have the same opinion. You saw the sixth person out there. Whack.