The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 03, 1999, 12:03am
Official Forum Member

Fellow Officials,
A situation I had happen tonight while officiating a basketball game that I thought I would ask the opinion of the professionals. Team A had control of the ball in their front court. A1 threw the ball to A2, but it goes over his head and hits directly on the 10 second (half court) line. After it hits and bounces in the air A3 jumps from the front court, grabs the ball, turns while in the air and throws the ball back to A2 in their front court before he lands in the back court. I did not call this a back court violation. I struggled a little bit finding this exact rule in the rules books. Can anyone please help me.

Thank you,
Brian S. Laffoon
Old Fri Dec 03, 1999, 12:23am
Official Forum Member

Team A had control of the ball in their front court. A1 threw the ball to A2, but it goes over his head and hits directly on the 10 second (half court) line.

The ball is now in the backcourt (4-4-1 and 4-13-2).

After it hits and bounces in the air A3 jumps from the front court, grabs the ball,

Backcourt violation (9-9). Note that the way the rule is worded doesn't require that Team A or the ball actually be in the backcourt at the moment it is touched, rather that the ball simply "went to the backcourt".
Old Sat Dec 04, 1999, 11:04pm
In Memoriam

Ken,
I think ... you probably meant to imply that the ball must be in the back court for it to be a violation eventhough the rule didn't say specifically?
mick
Old Sun Dec 05, 1999, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Ken,
I think ... you probably meant to imply that the ball must be in the back court for it to be a violation eventhough the rule didn't say specifically?

Nope. I actually meant the opposite. Rule 9-9: "A player shall not be the first to touch a ball which is in team control after it has been in the frontcourt, if he or she or a teammate last touched or was touched by the ball in the frontcourt before it went to the backcourt."

So even if the ball goes to the backcourt and somehow re-attains frontcourt status without being touched, and then gets touched by Team A in the frontcourt, it will be a still violation since the play does fulfill the "went to the backcourt" criterion.

Of course, in 99.99+% of backcourt violations, the ball will have backcourt status when touched...i was just pointing out that it was possible to have a violation while the ball has frontcourt status...
Old Sun Dec 05, 1999, 11:46am
In Memoriam

Ken,
Pardon this...,I'm not one for splitting hairs, but what if through some nasty act, a ball hit the line, and with reverse spin re-attained front court status by bouncing once in the front court and being recovered by Team A.
No violation, I think.
mick
Old Sun Dec 05, 1999, 08:14pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Ken - actually saw this in a JV game I was watching while waiting for my varsity game to start. A1 in dribbling in frontcourt. B1 hits ball. Ball hits A1 in shoulder and deflects toward backcourt. Ball, while still in the air, hits official standing in backcourt and rebounds directly into frontcourt where it was touched by A1. Official calls over and back.

Try explaning that to the home coach in a screaming gym in a close game. Of course, for this JV game, the gym was nearly empty.
Old Sun Dec 05, 1999, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not one for splitting hairs, but what if through some nasty act, a ball hit the line, and with reverse spin re-attained front court status by bouncing once in the front court and being recovered by Team A.
No violation, I think.

Yours and Mark's play is the exact scenario to which i'm referring. It is a violation as Team A last touched the ball before it "went to the backcourt" and Team A first touched the ball after it "went to the backcourt". Notice that Rule 9-9 (quoted above) doesn't stipulate that the ball have backcourt status when touched.
Old Mon Dec 06, 1999, 09:02am
In Memoriam

Rule 4-4-2 :A ball which is in contact with a player is in the front court if neither the ball nor player is touching the bakcourt.

mick
Old Mon Dec 06, 1999, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Mick,
The rule you mentioned 4-4-2 was the first one that came to mind as the play was developing and I had to make a decision on whether to call it a back court violation. It sounds like Ken has a point. Even though A3 was still in front court position at the time of touching the ball he was the first to touch it after it was considered in the back court. Thank you everyone for your help and advice. I have officiated for 3 to 4 years where licensing was not required and just obtained my license this year to officiate more full time. Therefore I am somewhat new at this. I guess the way I look at it no question is a dumb question.

Thanks again,
BSL
Old Mon Dec 06, 1999, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Let me add this scenario to perhaps clarify the situation. What would we call if A1, while in his frontcourt(ball having frontcourt status as well)dribbled the ball on the division line? I believe we would all call that a backcourt violation even though the player had frontcourt status. Just food for thought.
Old Mon Dec 06, 1999, 03:33pm
In Memoriam

Yeah, we would, if the player coninued dribbling and re-touched the ball while the ball had backcourt status.
We got off on a slight tangent above didn't we?
mick