Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 08, 2008, 07:30pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Old Mon Dec 08, 2008, 07:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
FWIW, I saw more or less the same thing occur in the Miami vs. Kentucky game this last Saturday....

Fullcourt press. Lead comes from way out of the picture to call a foul in the PAINT in the backcourt. The C and the T had the play covered very well and couldn't have been in better positions. In rewatching the play I simply couldn't not find what he called a foul for....certainly nothing so obvious that he had to get from 50'+ away...he should have trusted his partners.

The same official was calling stuff way out of his primary on several occassions. Seemed like he just wanted to appear like he was "better" than the rest by "covering" for them a little too much.

According to the box score, the officials were Joe Lindsay, Mike Nance, and Tony Greene. I have no idea which one it was.
Watch any NCAA Mens game on TV and chart how many calls the lead calls out of his primary. Minimum is 5 or 6 per game.
Old Mon Dec 08, 2008, 07:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalreff View Post
Watch any NCAA Mens game on TV and chart how many calls the lead calls out of his primary. Minimum is 5 or 6 per game.
Fine....but not on something in the backcourt paint unless it is flagrant!!!!
Old Tue Dec 09, 2008, 09:14am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
2. Come out strong with the PC and go with the double foul. A may get to keep the ball here, but at least A1 doesn't get off scott free on this. To me, this is the preferred option here if you can think quickly enough.
I like it.
I'm sure this is just a matter of taste, but I think this option looks worse than simply missing the call. Now it looks like, not only did we miss a call, but we're getting into a pissing contest about it on the court. You got a block?!?!?! Well, screw that, I got a charge!!

I think -- and I can't be 100% sure, I guess -- that I would rather say to the coach, "We may have kicked that one, Coach. We'll talk about it in the locker room," than "He kicked that one, Coach. So I made the opposite call to even it out a little."
Old Tue Dec 09, 2008, 09:52am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
I'm sure this is just a matter of taste, but I think this option looks worse than simply missing the call. Now it looks like, not only did we miss a call, but we're getting into a pissing contest about it on the court. You got a block?!?!?! Well, screw that, I got a charge!!

I think -- and I can't be 100% sure, I guess -- that I would rather say to the coach, "We may have kicked that one, Coach. We'll talk about it in the locker room," than "He kicked that one, Coach. So I made the opposite call to even it out a little."
I do not have an assignor that tells me to pass in order to appease.
Old Tue Dec 09, 2008, 10:07am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post

I don't see it as a pissing contest as much as an insistence that we get the right call. Make it look like a blarge, if you can, as it doesn't look like a pissing contest that way
Old Tue Dec 09, 2008, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Crawl in a hole

IMHO this is a crew killer,

It sounds like the issue starts with pre-game, I would like to know what was discussed regarding the press in pregame.

You have a Lead that (HTBT to be sure) that possibly abbandoned his front court matchups to go get a Block call over 45' away.

You have a Slot who was flirting with the MILF in the front row or what ever they were doing.

This is a clear sign of poor coverage and a lack of trust between partners.

I like the idea of coming out with a Blarge but no matter what happens on the floor the Trail has a right to be upset with both the Lead and Slot, and there should be a lot of post game discussion about how the crew got in this postition.

I have a question - I will make the assumption that the inexperienced guy was the lead - were there any other signs that this official was a ball watcher before or after this incident. There may have been a point where this might have been foreseeable.
Old Tue Dec 09, 2008, 11:25am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
I do not have an assignor that tells me to pass in order to appease.
I suppose that's one way to look at it. I don't see it as appeasement.
Old Tue Dec 09, 2008, 12:39pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHBBREF View Post
IMHO this is a crew killer,

It sounds like the issue starts with pre-game, I would like to know what was discussed regarding the press in pregame.

You have a Lead that (HTBT to be sure) that possibly abbandoned his front court matchups to go get a Block call over 45' away.

You have a Slot who was flirting with the MILF in the front row or what ever they were doing.

This is a clear sign of poor coverage and a lack of trust between partners.

I like the idea of coming out with a Blarge but no matter what happens on the floor the Trail has a right to be upset with both the Lead and Slot, and there should be a lot of post game discussion about how the crew got in this postition.

I have a question - I will make the assumption that the inexperienced guy was the lead - were there any other signs that this official was a ball watcher before or after this incident. There may have been a point where this might have been foreseeable.
What in God's name did the C do wrong? T had the call, L came in and stole it from 75 feet away (ball wasn't halfway through backcourt yet). What's teh C's role here?

Read the rest of the thread, the L was the most experienced.
Old Tue Dec 09, 2008, 12:52pm
Esteemed Participant

First off, I very rarely (can't remember the last time) get hacked off at my partners when they call something, even if it's in front of me. I just don't take it as them trying to grandstand or show me up. I assume they saw something they felt needed to be called. We would definitely discuss it in the locker room, but there wouldn't be any anger involved. It's ridiculous to get angry about something like this - we all have brain farts every now and then, so why not just assume your partner had a brain fart and move on.

Secondly, I am not going with a blarge on this one. If the upset coach asks me, I will simply say "I don't know Coach, but here comes Snaqs. You can ask him."

Third - I'm not calling an assignor over this play. It really isn't that egregious of a mistake. No rule was set aside or misapplied. A partner called out of his primary in front of me. If I call the assignor about that, I look like a little whiner. Not needed.
Old Tue Dec 09, 2008, 01:05pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Secondly, I am not going with a blarge on this one. If the upset coach asks me, I will simply say "I don't know Coach, but here comes Snaqs. You can ask him."
When he does ask me, I'll be sure to keep my answer short.
Old Tue Dec 09, 2008, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
What in God's name did the C do wrong? T had the call, L came in and stole it from 75 feet away (ball wasn't halfway through backcourt yet). What's teh C's role here?

Read the rest of the thread, the L was the most experienced.
I didn't see the line about the L being the more experienced -
but the C if they were participating could possibly have offered an opinion on what occured and that might have given them the opportunity to get it right.

Although this guy probably would have stuck to his call from what I can gather from the post.
Old Tue Dec 09, 2008, 04:14pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
but the C if they were participating could possibly have offered an opinion on what occured and that might have given them the opportunity to get it right.

Although this guy probably would have stuck to his call from what I can gather from the post.
I agree. If he's coming that far and prelims that fast, the only decision is (per Snaqs) do we call the PC or give A a free pass.
Old Tue Dec 09, 2008, 04:27pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

Frankly, I don't see how the C can do anything here; if he's doing his job he probably didn't even see the play.
Old Tue Dec 09, 2008, 05:09pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Does this make rocky another appeaser?