Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 08, 2008, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

Press Situation

Three Person. Girls NFHS Varsity.

Press is on.

A1 is dribbling up the sideline about top of the three point circle extended. B1 takes a legal guarding position on a bang-bang play. T begins to call offensvie charge. L comes up from far baseline and emphatically calls block. (C is flirting with coed in stands....not really but he was not involved)

Your reactions? Should T be hacked off at L? Is it L's call? (I actually know the answer to that question) I know how I would feel if I was T. I wonder what all you esteemed collegues would feel.

The play happened in front of B's bench and they were none too happy to say the least. I happened to be watching the game. I know two of the three officials (The T & C), and one is inexperienced, but the other is very experienced. I did not know the L. Just curious what others reactions to that would be.

Last edited by Ignats75; Mon Dec 08, 2008 at 03:30pm.
Old Mon Dec 08, 2008, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignats75 View Post
Three Person. Girls NFHS Varsity.

Press is on.

A1 is dribbling up the sideline about top of the three point circle extended. B1 takes a legal guarding position on a bang-bang play. T begins to call offensvie charge. L comes up from far baseline and emphatically calls block. (C is flirting with coed in stands....not really but he was not involved)

Your reactions? Should T be hacked off at L? Is it L's call?
The T should go whack the L's head off. No way should he come get that from that far unless it is murder in the 1st degree and no one has anything.
Old Mon Dec 08, 2008, 03:28pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I can't imagine why L would take this in 3 person. As T you have a couple of options.

1. Let L take it. Talk in the locker room to find out what he saw from 75 feet away that made him take a call right out from underneath you.

2. Come out strong with the PC and go with the double foul. A may get to keep the ball here, but at least A1 doesn't get off scott free on this. To me, this is the preferred option here if you can think quickly enough.
Old Mon Dec 08, 2008, 03:31pm
Official & Member

The way it's described, T has plenty of reason to be pi$$ed. L comes all the way across C's area and makes that call? Better have a pretty darn good reason (if there is one that exists). Second, why isn't C there? If T needed help, that's where the second whistle should have come from. T has a right to be torqued at him/her also.
Old Mon Dec 08, 2008, 03:48pm
In Memoriam

[quote=Snaqwells;556423]I can't imagine why L would take this in 3 person. As T you have a couple of options.

1. Let L take it. Talk in the locker room to find out what he saw from 75 feet away that made him take a call right out from underneath you.

2. Come out strong with the PC and go with the double foul. A may get to keep the ball here, but at least A1 doesn't get off scott free on this. To me, this is the preferred option here if you can think quickly enough.[/quote]

I like it.
Old Mon Dec 08, 2008, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

I'm assuming you mean full court press, and the ball is in the back court when the contact occurs? If so, I agree with previous poster that the L's head gets whacked off.

As for the immediate remedy, I'd get together with L and say wtf? And unless he saw something that you were completely, unquestionably, 110% blinded to, it's the T's call. If he takes that call, then he just totally cut you off at the legs in front of the coaches, and they realize it. To them, it makes you appear weak (not true), and it makes him look like he doesn't know what he's doing (true), and any opportunistic coach is going to seize on that.

After the game, I'd ask them why on Earth they blew the whistle on that play. If the answer isn't satisfactory, then a call to the assignor may be necessary. I don't like to criticize other officials unless they ask for critiquing, but that official has no business working 3 person crews if they're gonna make calls like that. Poor officiating like that is also a bad reflection on the assignor that put officials on the floor, and I know most, if not all, of the assignors I work for would want to know about it. Better the assignor hears it from you, before a PO'd AD or coach.

fwiw, C might also deserve a whack if they're that far out of the play and didn't hang back some, unless it's truly just a 1 on 1 matchup coming up the floor on the T's side.
Old Mon Dec 08, 2008, 04:17pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
I like it.
I should add, if I go with #2, we're still having that locker room chat later.
Old Mon Dec 08, 2008, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

I suppose a call to the assignor would be in order except I have a couple of different horses in that race.

1) I didn't disclose it at the beginning because it really has no bearing in the play, but B1 was my darling daughter, who now thinks I'm just another cog in the Evil Empire of the Loyal Order of Zebras. Unfortunately, many parents know who I am, so I have to keep my mouth shut. Nothing good would come from me even discussing the play with them.

2) Each conference has its own assignor. I have never worked for the gentleman who assigns that conference. Its too political there for my taste. But with 18 schools in the conference, its a huge opportunity that I have chosen to bypass. I really have no desire to make waves there in the chance that once Julie graduate, i might wend up getting some assignments from him.

You know, people think its strange that I don't block out all the nights that my daughter plays to watch her, and this is why. I am constantly put in tough situations because the parents around me are constantly badgering me about preceived bad calls. Its so distracting that I don't enjoy it. I hear comments that hack me off. I see officials not hustling the way I would want an official to hustle for MY daughter dammit. .. The coach has made the team DVD's available for me to view for the games I miss and I leave it to her Mom and older brother and sister to go watch. But I do feel conflicted at times.

Last edited by Ignats75; Mon Dec 08, 2008 at 04:30pm.
Old Mon Dec 08, 2008, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
fwiw, C might also deserve a whack if they're that far out of the play and didn't hang back some, unless it's truly just a 1 on 1 matchup coming up the floor on the T's side
In fairness, C was all the way over on the far sideline, and the play literaally happened on the near sideline to the benches. He was really no closer than the L. On top of that, he is a very inexperienced official doing his first year of varsity and probably would never think to get involved.
Old Mon Dec 08, 2008, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I suppose a call to the assignor would be in order except I have a couple of different horses in that race.

1) I didn't disclose it at the beginning because it really has no bearing in the play, but B1 was my darling daughter, who now thinks I'm just another cog in the evil empire of the Loyal Order of Zebras. Unfortunately, many parents know who I am, so I have to keep my mouth shut. Nothing good would come from me even discussing the play with them.
You're right that it doesn't have bearing on the play, but if this is a varsity contest, you definitely shouldn't be working your own daughter's game, unless your region is short on officials. Way too many potential headaches to deal with, and I'm not talking about the ones at home.
Old Mon Dec 08, 2008, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma_ref View Post
You're right that it doesn't have bearing on the play, but if this is a varsity contest, you definitely shouldn't be working your own daughter's game, unless your region is short on officials. Way too many potential headaches to deal with, and I'm not talking about the ones at home.

I wasn't. I was in the stands. I thought that was clear in the OP. I would never work one of her Varsity games. I had to hand back two varsity assingments this year because I found out her team was the visitors. Summer ball, now THATs a different story. In fact, she hates when her AAU team ends up on my court. .. The first whistle is ALWAYS on her.

Last edited by Ignats75; Mon Dec 08, 2008 at 04:31pm.
Old Mon Dec 08, 2008, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

FWIW, I saw more or less the same thing occur in the Miami vs. Kentucky game this last Saturday....

Fullcourt press. Lead comes from way out of the picture to call a foul in the PAINT in the backcourt. The C and the T had the play covered very well and couldn't have been in better positions. In rewatching the play I simply couldn't not find what he called a foul for....certainly nothing so obvious that he had to get from 50'+ away...he should have trusted his partners.

The same official was calling stuff way out of his primary on several occassions. Seemed like he just wanted to appear like he was "better" than the rest by "covering" for them a little too much.

According to the box score, the officials were Joe Lindsay, Mike Nance, and Tony Greene. I have no idea which one it was.
Old Mon Dec 08, 2008, 04:44pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post

The same official was calling stuff way out of his primary on several occassions. Seemed like he just wanted to appear like he was "better" than the rest by "covering" for them a little too much.

According to the box score, the officials were Joe Lindsay, Mike Nance, and Tony Greene. I have no idea which one it was.
I doubt very seriously it was Tony Greene.
Old Mon Dec 08, 2008, 04:56pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
In fairness, C was all the way over on the far sideline, and the play literaally happened on the near sideline to the benches. He was really no closer than the L. On top of that, he is a very inexperienced official doing his first year of varsity and probably would never think to get involved.
Sounds like the L needs some more experience as well.
Old Mon Dec 08, 2008, 07:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Sounds like the L needs some more experience as well.
Sadly, Although I don't know him, I believe he was the most experienced of the three.