The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 12, 2002, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Smile

I'm looking for some imput on the most effective procedure in dealing with disqualifed players. The last few games I have have not produced the smoothness I'm looking for. Any tips would be helpful.
Old Sat Jan 12, 2002, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

If a player is disqualified for having too many fouls this is what I do. Prior to the game, in my pre-game with the official scorer, I instruct them to notify me immediately if a player fouls out. If this should occur I approach the player's coach (by approach I mean 10 to 20 feet) and inform him/her that the player has been disqualified. This is done calmly and loud enough for anyone in the general vicinity to hear. I inform the coach that they have 30 seconds to replace that player. I then ask the timer to start a 30 second clock. Then I inform the player that he/she has been disqualified and needs to take a seat. If the coach decides to use the 30 seconds I take a position where I would for a 30 second time out and look directly at the timer. I have never had to issue a technical foul for a coach not replacing the disqualified player in the allotted amount of time. What sort of problem are yhou having?
Old Sat Jan 12, 2002, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up disqualified player.

I would agree with what was said by Mr. Paulis, however after getting the information from the scorere's table, Then I notify my partner, the player and (from a distance) the coach.

If the coach does not immediately replace the player I without speaking directly to him, inform the scorer's table to start the 30 second clock and take a comfortable but effectvie position (as per HNFHS rules)in front of the scorere's tabler until the player is replaced or other action is required.

At no time do I make it personal and by standing at a neutral position it makes the coach have to make that extra efort to get take a shot at you,
Old Sat Jan 12, 2002, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

One comment for THY - always notify the coach and then the player. That way the player is bench personnel and the coach is responsible for his/her actions (or reactions, as the case may be).
Old Sat Jan 12, 2002, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

good point Mark- thanks.