The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 07, 2008, 07:38pm
Official Forum Member

Headband or Hair Control Device?

Interested in your opinions. Girls HS V game. Home player is wearing a Reebok item on her head. It is about 3/8" thick, is black and has the word Reebok imprinted in white. It does go all the way around the head, however does not go on forehead, but from top of the head around and behind the pony tail. What do you classify this as? Head band? Hair conrol device? Partner who was R and I disagreed on the matter, but he was R so I shut up and listened. What say you?
PS. I still hate being the fashion police.
Old Sun Dec 07, 2008, 07:59pm
We don't rent pigs

3-5-3b: A headband is any item that goes around the entire head.

If it goes around the head, not just the hair, even though it does function as a hair control device, it still seems like a headband to me.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Dec 07, 2008, 08:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev View Post
Interested in your opinions. Girls HS V game. Home player is wearing a Reebok item on her head. It is about 3/8" thick, is black and has the word Reebok imprinted in white. It does go all the way around the head, however does not go on forehead, but from top of the head around and behind the pony tail. What do you classify this as? Head band? Hair conrol device? Partner who was R and I disagreed on the matter, but he was R so I shut up and listened. What say you?
This year that's a headband and must conform to the appropriate restrictions.
Old Sun Dec 07, 2008, 08:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It does go all the way around the head. What say you?
There is your answer.
Old Sun Dec 07, 2008, 08:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It's a headband and it has the Reebok logo on it. I think it has to come off because of the Reebok logo. If it were all black, the rest of the team would have to have black headbands on as well.
Old Sun Dec 07, 2008, 08:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
It's a headband and it has the Reebok logo on it. I think it has to come off because of the Reebok logo. If it were all black, the rest of the team would have to have black headbands on as well.
Care to check the rules?
Old Sun Dec 07, 2008, 09:16pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Badges? We don't need no stinkin' Fashion Police badges!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Care to check the rules?
NFHS 3-6:
ART. 1 . One visible manufacturer’s logo/trademark/reference or school
logo/mascot is permitted on the wristbands, headband and compression shorts
(3-5-3, 3-5-6).
ART. 2 .The size shall be limited to 2¼ square inches and shall not exceed
2¼ inches in any dimension on any item.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Dec 07, 2008, 09:24pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
NFHS 3-6:
ART. 1 . One visible manufacturer’s logo/trademark/reference or school
logo/mascot is permitted on the wristbands, headband and compression shorts
(3-5-3, 3-5-6).
ART. 2 .The size shall be limited to 2¼ square inches and shall not exceed 2¼ inches in any dimension on any item.
I had a girl remove her headband because the logo was too long.
She took it off and the logo was okay.
She put it on, and it was too long.
She took it off and it was okay....
Old Sun Dec 07, 2008, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
An amusing point, mick.
With the proliferation of stretchy material in sports apparel, there may well be a significant difference.

I would have to think that the size of the logo should be judged while the item is being worn and as it will appear during game action. The NFHS seems to be concerned with how things look on the court during play.
Old Sun Dec 07, 2008, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Care to check the rules?
No, I didn't care to check them before I posted that because I didn't have the book with me. Thanks for the help though.
Old Sun Dec 07, 2008, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
I had something just like that happen, except it had the "Swoosh" with the words "NIKE" next to it and "Just Do it" around the band. We just had her flip it over so the white back was showing and left it at that. I have yet to have a girls game where we didn't have to explain and re-explain to the coaches what their players could and could not wear...it's just getting too confusing!
Old Sun Dec 07, 2008, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
No, I didn't care to check them before I posted that because I didn't have the book with me. Thanks for the help though.
Perhaps I am in the minority on this, but I find it annoying when people make off-the-cuff remarks regarding the rules.
People come to this forum and ask questions because it has built a reputation as a source of good information. Therefore, providing a response that contains misinformation is more than just unhelpful to the poster who posed the original question, but also seems to undermine the utility of the forum.
Thus, I strongly prefer that when people answer questions that they take the time to ensure that what they are posting is right.
Old Sun Dec 07, 2008, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Perhaps I am in the minority on this, but I find it annoying when people make off-the-cuff remarks regarding the rules.
People come to this forum and ask questions because it has built a reputation as a source of good information. Therefore, providing a response that contains misinformation is more than just unhelpful to the poster who posed the original question, but also seems to undermine the utility of the forum.
Thus, I strongly prefer that when people answer questions that they take the time to ensure that what they are posting is right.
You are right, although I said "I think" in my first post because I wasn't sure. If I'm trying to answer a question about something other than a silly logo on a headband (As in something actually related to basketball), I always check the rule and/or case book before I post.
Old Sun Dec 07, 2008, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

Lets add two more things to the equation, my friends:
1. Didn't anyone notice that I said it was a home player and the item was black?
2. What if a girl were to take a piece of pre-wrap and use it the same way. Clearly not a headband but what if goes from the top of the head and around behind the pony tail? Do you classify that as a headband, too.
Old Sun Dec 07, 2008, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Lets add two more things to the equation, my friends:
1. Didn't anyone notice that I said it was a home player and the item was black?
2. What if a girl were to take a piece of pre-wrap and use it the same way. Clearly not a headband but what if goes from the top of the head and around behind the pony tail? Do you classify that as a headband, too.
1. Yes, and it doesn't matter. Black is a legal color for a headband for either team.

2. Again, this season that's a headband.

COMMENTS ON THE 2008-09 RULES REVISIONS

HEADBANDS DEFINED AND COLORS ADDED (3-5-3): Any item that goes around the entire head (elastic strips/bands, pre-wrap, headbands, etc.) shall meet the rule requirements regarding color, maximum size, logo restrictions and team uniformity. The colors of black and beige were also added to the list of permissible colors a team may wear. This change makes the rule more consistent in application and enforcement. The additional colors will provide student-athletes with the same low-cost options previously available, while maintaining team uniformity.

2008-09 NFHS Basketball Rules Interpretations
SITUATION 4: A1 is using black pre-wrap around the entire head to keep his/her hair in place. In addition, A1 is wearing a black, moisture-absorbing headband above the pre-wrap, around the entire head. RULING: Illegal; only one headband is permitted to be worn. One of the headbands must be removed in order for A1 to participate. (3-5-3b)