Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 07, 2008, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev View Post
Lets add two more things to the equation, my friends:
1. Didn't anyone notice that I said it was a home player and the item was black?
2. What if a girl were to take a piece of pre-wrap and use it the same way. Clearly not a headband but what if goes from the top of the head and around behind the pony tail? Do you classify that as a headband, too.
1. Approved colors are black, white, beige OR similar to the color of the torso of the teams jersey. So, assuming everyone has black it's legal. (See 3-5-3a)

2. Yes! In Texas pre-wrap was specifically mentioned as one of the reasons the rule was changed and also the reason beige was added to the list of approved colors. (see 3-5-3b)

/edit...seems Nevadaref beat me to it!
Old Sun Dec 07, 2008, 11:18pm
Official Forum Member

But in this case, everyone else had on white... the color of the home jersey... thus the problem in this case for a headband. My problem is that it is really hard for me to consider anything 3/8" wide as a headband, even if it does go all the way around the head. I know what the definition is and enforce the rules... I just wonder why we worry about it. As mentioned in the OP... I HATE being the fashion police on things like this. I have no problem with anything like jewelry or anything that can cause injury... but I really wonder why the NFHS worries about things like this.
Old Mon Dec 08, 2008, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

It seems like you are thinking of sweatbands. They are a subset of headbands and the broader category is what is covered by the rule.
Old Mon Dec 08, 2008, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Do the headband restrictions apply to all contests or all varsity contests? I don't think I've seen the clarification.

-Josh
Old Mon Dec 08, 2008, 01:49pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post
Do the headband restrictions apply to all contests or all varsity contests? I don't think I've seen the clarification.

-Josh
It is a rule. That means it applies to all levels.

That being said, just like many things at the lower level, you might not nitpick over many uniform rules in order to have kids play. I would check with the people in your area about that, but I know that often times we get warm-up uniforms and it is hard to be so picky about every aspect of ever so-called uniform violation. But this rule is easily to comply with and I really do not see why on some level it cannot be followed.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 08, 2008, 02:02pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I'm with Rut on this. I enforce the headbands at all scholastic levels.

YMCA, I leave it alone.

AAU, it depends.

I look at it this way, if I'm going to enforce T-shirt colors, I'll enforce headband and wristband restrictions.

If I'm not going to enforce T-shirt colors, I'll leave the headbands and wristbands alone as well.
Old Mon Dec 08, 2008, 02:11pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
You are right, although I said "I think" in my first post because I wasn't sure. If I'm trying to answer a question about something other than a silly logo on a headband (As in something actually related to basketball), I always check the rule and/or case book before I post.
So because you don't "like" the rules about uniforms, it therefore is somehow beneath your dignity to look it up and make sure you have it correct?? Then why did you even reply to this thread in the first place? Good grief...
Old Mon Dec 08, 2008, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

I am still a bit confused about whether pre-wrap or a 3/8" headband that goes from the top of the head and around the bottom of a ponytail really is going "around the head". I think one way to deal with it is to ask the player or coach "is that hair control or a headband?"
Old Mon Dec 08, 2008, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the clarification. Personally, I'm not too picky about it. One of my partners took it to the extreme the other night and enforced the headband because it was a different shade. I claimed color=blindness and said I couldn't tell the difference

-Josh
Old Mon Dec 08, 2008, 02:17pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Wow! different shade? I only deal in primary colors.
Old Mon Dec 08, 2008, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stosh View Post
I am still a bit confused about whether pre-wrap or a 3/8" headband that goes from the top of the head and around the bottom of a ponytail really is going "around the head". I think one way to deal with it is to ask the player or coach "is that hair control or a headband?"
I would consider anything that is larger than 1/2 to 1 inch (typical pony tail size), when worn, as hair control device. If it's sitting on the top of the head, it's a head band.

-Josh
Old Mon Dec 08, 2008, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Wow! different shade? I only deal in primary colors.
It's easy to claim color blindness when shades are involved. I am color blind when it comes to shades, I'm a male

-Josh
Old Mon Dec 08, 2008, 02:31pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post
It's easy to claim color blindness when shades are involved. I am color blind when it comes to shades, I'm a male

-Josh
Yup. If I have a need for more detailed information, I'll have my wife to ask.
Old Mon Dec 08, 2008, 02:35pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I enforce the headbands at all scholastic levels.

YMCA, I leave it alone.

AAU, it depends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
It is a rule. That means it applies to all levels.

That being said, just like many things at the lower level, you might not nitpick over many uniform rules in order to have kids play. I would check with the people in your area about that, but I know that often times we get warm-up uniforms and it is hard to be so picky about every aspect of ever so-called uniform violation. But this rule is easily to comply with and I really do not see why on some level it cannot be followed.
Concur with Snaqs and JRut. But this is where I personally run into issues. At what level do you go 100% by the book (V) and at what level do you say it's ok not to be 100% by the book and use some discretion? Where does the gray area begin?

Example - Regarless of level the jewelry policy stands (none). Hair restraints (all). Blood or injury (all). At V level we do uniforms (white and black) below this (JV and below?) we do light and dark (by reg).

How about, you need to have the book filled out 10 min early (V and JV) At what level are we just fortunate to have a book to start the game and not assess a T (7th, 8th, MS)? Putting names in the book late or not having the starters marked (what level)? Illegal jersey logo as hand me downs (what grade level) - T?

It's similar to "loosening up your standards a bit" to ref a 11/12 yr old rec game (travelling) vs what you would call for a V game.

Discretion is sometimes tough across the board and it makes it harder on the next set of refs who may have a differnt standard. Hence why I asked my Association to give me definite guidance on uniforms from my post last week. Just my $.02
Old Mon Dec 08, 2008, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stosh View Post
I wouldn't ask the coach. The definition is clear. If it goes around the head (meaning any "diameter" passes through the skull), it's a headband. If it only goes around the hair (defines / forms a pony tail), then it's not.