The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 14, 2007, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Questions on hair control devices

Rule 3-5-3d states the rubber, cloth or elastic bands may be used to control hair. There is no color restrictions on these like there are on headbands, correct? Also, the definition says a band. In my opinion, rolled prewrap tied in a circle or a hankerchief tied the same way are not legal. Is this the correct interp on this?
Old Wed Nov 14, 2007, 01:46pm
MABO Member

prewrap is legal.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Wed Nov 14, 2007, 01:57pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
At the annual Northern Virginia Clinic this yr they specifically informed us color was not an issue.
Old Wed Nov 14, 2007, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeEater
prewrap is legal.
yes, handkerchief not legal.
Old Wed Nov 14, 2007, 02:11pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Juulie - what about a footkerchief?

OK - back on the meds.
Old Wed Nov 14, 2007, 02:13pm
MABO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Thanks Rainmaker, I will have to be sure to expand more on my posts next time.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Wed Nov 14, 2007, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeEater
Thanks Rainmaker, I will have to be sure to expand more on my posts next time.
nah, I need something to do to keep my post count going up.
Old Wed Nov 14, 2007, 08:22pm
Official Forum Member

Regarding color of hairbands:

2006-07 NFHS Basketball Rules Interpretations

SITUATION 8: Three team members from Team A have multi-colored, narrow elastic bands (not moisture-absorbing headbands) around their heads for hair-control purposes. RULING: Legal. There are no color or size restrictions for elastic hair-control bands. (3-5-3d)

Regarding prewrap:
I cannot recall anything from the NFHS specifically addressing the use of prewrap to control hair in basketball. NFHS soccer rules state that it is allowed as long as it is NOT tied in a knot. For basketball, one must consider 3-5-3e. That rule may forbid prewrap.

Old Wed Nov 14, 2007, 08:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Regarding prewrap:
I cannot recall anything from the NFHS specifically addressing the use of prewrap to control hair in basketball. NFHS soccer rules state that it is allowed as long as it is NOT tied in a knot. For basketball, one must consider 3-5-3e. That rule may forbid prewrap.

I'd say, technically by 3-5-3e, it probably is prohibited. That said, unless it's a LOT of prewrap, and since it is "elasticky" and could be fashioned into a "band" and doesn't seem to present a safety hazard, I'm most likely not fighting that fight.
Old Wed Nov 14, 2007, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018
I'd say, technically by 3-5-3e, it probably is prohibited. That said, unless it's a LOT of prewrap, and since it is "elasticky" and could be fashioned into a "band" and doesn't seem to present a safety hazard, I'm most likely not fighting that fight.
We've been told around there that it's legal. SOmetimes it's hard to tell whether it's prewrap or an elastic band. I think we've just figured that if you really can't tell, then it's probably not important. Alhtouhg, I've seen a lot more prewrap on the floor than elastic bands. That presents a safety hazard I suppose.
Old Wed Nov 14, 2007, 09:23pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Wouldn't the use of prewrap for a hair control device be the utilization of equipment in a manner other than its intended purpose?

If so, that would make it illegal.

NEW QUESTIONS....
Have you seen the new hair control (elastic) devices with logo/writing all the way around it? I know NF does not limit color, etc. on hair control devices, but this seems to violate the spirit of our decorum rules. In a scrimmage last night, I asked the girls in question to flip these hair control devices over to a solid white side. (players and coaches complied without question) Did I overstep?

I took a similar stance on wrists wrapped with athletic tape. Several girls on one team had their wrists wrapped with athletic tape and had written initials and/or numbers on the tape. I asked them if the tape was needed. When the response was yes, I asked them to cover the writing with another strip of tape or remove it. (again, players and coaches complied without question -- two of four removed it all together.)

I've seen writing on shoes also (although I've never seen it so blatantly displayed that I considered it a problem). Where do we draw the line?

These players keep coming up with more and more issues. I feel like I'm policing fashion as much as the game!
Old Wed Nov 14, 2007, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

You draw the line based upon what the writing says. NFHS soccer has a play ruling that says that kids cannot participate with objectionable markings on their faces or arms. The markings must be covered or removed before they may play. There is no reason why this NFHS principle shouldn't apply across the board for all sports.
Old Wed Nov 14, 2007, 09:54pm
Official Forum Member

Nevada,

I agree and as you can see from my post above, I think that is what I've done. I know there will be those on this site who disagree.

I coached at the high school level for 18 years before crossing over to the "stripes side", so my real question is: "What are these coaches thinking when they allow these types of displays?"
Old Wed Nov 14, 2007, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

I really can't tell you whether I agree or disagree with what you did because you haven't stated what was written on the elastic headband. I can only tell you that I have no problem with kids putting initials or numbers on tape or their shoes, if that is all that was there. As long as it is nothing unsporting, I don't see a reason to ban it.
Old Wed Nov 14, 2007, 10:13pm
Official Forum Member

It was a Nike hair control device. Nike "swoosh" and the words "JUST DO IT" repeated about 10 times all the way around.