The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 01, 2008, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Throw question pt2

Situation:
After a made basket by Team A, B1 BOUNCEpasses to B2 also out of bounds. For further clarity, this is that play where team B's first pass is still OOB before throwing the ball to B3 in bounds. There was discussion about the legality of a pass that bounced OOB. I contend that a pass is a pass on this play and it doesn't matter.

On a slightly different note, Saturday college game with 3.4 seconds left in a tie ball game. Team A has a spot throw-in and runs this play. My T doesn't call anything, my C doesn't call anything, I call it from the L from the opposite FT line. I am not sure which is worse, the coaches not knowing the rule of OOB throw-in or my partners not calling it
Old Mon Dec 01, 2008, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

I can't see how it could be illegal to bounce pass it. There's nothing prohibiting it.

As for your college game...OUCH. And, I vote for your partner administering the throw-in not calling it as the worst...
Old Mon Dec 01, 2008, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Thats what I said in my game report too, unfortunately. More fun on this play. One partner was thrown off his game because the team that violated also called a successive time-out prior to the play described. He was of the opinion that they couldn't do it. I wanted to grab him and shake him, its not good to be drawing blanks on end of game situations. Next time I am CC working with him we will have to go over stuff that I took for granted that he should have known.
Old Mon Dec 01, 2008, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallfouls View Post
Situation:
After a made basket by Team A, B1 BOUNCEpasses to B2 also out of bounds. For further clarity, this is that play where team B's first pass is still OOB before throwing the ball to B3 in bounds. There was discussion about the legality of a pass that bounced OOB. I contend that a pass is a pass on this play and it doesn't matter.:
There is nothing that says the pass can not be a bounce pass between B1 and B2 after a made basket as far as NCAA is concerned and I can not think of anything in the FED that would prohibit it either.

Quote:
On a slightly different note, Saturday college game with 3.4 seconds left in a tie ball game. Team A has a spot throw-in and runs this play. My T doesn't call anything, my C doesn't call anything, I call it from the L from the opposite FT line. I am not sure which is worse, the coaches not knowing the rule of OOB throw-in or my partners not calling it
However on a Spot throw-in it violates several different articles. you had to make the call no mater how far away you were. you have to get it right in that situation.

good reminder to always talk things through before and durring a game so as to get everyone awake and on the same page.
Old Mon Dec 01, 2008, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thats what I said in my game report too, unfortunately. More fun on this play. One partner was thrown off his game because the team that violated also called a successive time-out prior to the play described. He was of the opinion that they couldn't do it. I wanted to grab him and shake him, its not good to be drawing blanks on end of game situations. Next time I am CC working with him we will have to go over stuff that I took for granted that he should have known.
Do you mean an excessive timeout? If so, what happened immediately prior to the excessive timeout?
Old Mon Dec 01, 2008, 03:36pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I think he meant successive, as in two in a row.
Old Tue Dec 02, 2008, 03:21am
Official Forum Member

1. There was a ruling some time ago about the OOB bounce pass. It was ruled to be legal.

2. With all that time during the successive time-outs, I would think that it would be wise for the crew to come together and someone say, "Hey, remember this is a spot throw-in." That way no one goes brain-dead.
Old Tue Dec 02, 2008, 07:34pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Throwin Bounce Pass ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
1. There was a ruling some time ago about the OOB bounce pass. It was ruled to be legal.
I'm sure that you're referring to A1 throwing a bounce pass, out of bounds, to A2, who is also out of bounds, during a "run the endline" throwin. We also know that A1 can dribble the ball out of bounds before making a throwin, with either a designated spot throwin, or a "run the endline throwin". These two situations describe legal plays.

How about A1, who is out of bounds, on any type of throwin, throwing a bounce pass to A2, who is inbounds, where the bounce pass bounces off the floor out of bounds? I believe that this is a violation.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Dec 02, 2008, 08:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
How about A1, who is out of bounds, on any type of throwin, throwing a bounce pass to A2, who is inbounds, where the bounce pass bounces off the floor out of bounds? I believe that this is a violation.
Agree.
Old Wed Dec 03, 2008, 04:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I'm sure that you're referring to A1 throwing a bounce pass, out of bounds, to A2, who is also out of bounds, during a "run the endline" throwin. We also know that A1 can dribble the ball out of bounds before making a throwin, with either a designated spot throwin, or a "run the endline throwin". These two situations describe legal plays.

Everything that you wrote is accurate.