The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 29, 2008, 08:59pm
This IS My Social Life

Should Center Pause at Division Line?

When ball is being brought up from backcourt, especially when it's brought up quickly against pressure (not necessarily a press), is it preferrable for the center to pause briefly to catch the play at the division line? Or should he hustle down court and leave that to the trail exclusively? Seems sometimes the trail is not in a good position to see the division line in case of an inbounds-and-quick-up-the-court play. I picked up one thing at camp which differs from common practice at home. Any concensus?
Old Sat Nov 29, 2008, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
When ball is being brought up from backcourt, especially when it's brought up quickly against pressure (not necessarily a press), is it preferrable for the center to pause briefly to catch the play at the division line? Or should he hustle down court and leave that to the trail exclusively? Seems sometimes the trail is not in a good position to see the division line in case of an inbounds-and-quick-up-the-court play. I picked up one thing at camp which differs from common practice at home. Any concensus?
Go where the action is.
Old Sat Nov 29, 2008, 09:51pm
Official & Member

Locally, we always use the philosophy that the C is responsible to help out from tip-to-tip of the FT semi-circles. If there's a competitive match up there, I like to hang back a bit, but not as much as pressing action.
Old Sun Nov 30, 2008, 12:01am
Official Forum Member

Lotta responsibility

C has responsibility from top of the circle to top of the circle, sideline to sideline in transition. Sometimes you have to come all the way accross court to get something but chances are, C has the best look.
Old Sun Nov 30, 2008, 12:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The C should definitely take a look at that. The T frequently needs help with the division line in transition. Every camp that I've been to has stressed this.

I had a bc violation as C tonight in transition because I was right on the division line and the T was back 15 feet with those players who were contesting for the ball just a second ago.
Old Sun Nov 30, 2008, 08:25am
In Memoriam

Arrow

Quote:
I think the Center should be ready to pause briefly. The pause doesn't have to be an automatic, or the Center may be late helping the Lead.
Old Sun Nov 30, 2008, 02:07pm
Do not give a damn!!

The Center might have to make a call either on the division line close to them, or away from them in a pressing situation. I always make sure if there is heavy pressure to hang around there for as long as I need to. Even a block/charge play across the court (on the side of the Trail) might warrant your attention because you are the only person with the angle.

Peace