The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 02:35pm
In Memoriam

Question

A1 catches a pass while straddling the division line.
[Left foot -> front court; right foot -> back court.]

A1 lifts right foot, and releases ball to start dribble onto back court. A1 now has left foot in front court, but continues, taking several dribbles, and steps, in the back court.

Was A1 in the front court when the right foot left the floor?
Was A1 dribbling because the ball was released?

mick
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Front Court status is achieved ONLY when all three components achieve front court status

1) right foot
2) left foot
3) the ball

Back court violations occur when any SINGLE of the three touch the line or the back courtthe

If - in your scenario the ball ALREADY had front court status .... it is an over and back violation

If - in your scenario the 3 componets above had not been achieved you should still be on your 10 second count.

Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ref Daddy

Front Court status is achieved ONLY when all three components achieve front court status

1) right foot
2) left foot
3) the ball

Back court violations occur when any SINGLE of the three touch the line or the back courtthe

If - in your scenario the ball ALREADY had front court status .... it is an over and back violation

If - in your scenario the 3 componets above had not been achieved you should still be on your 10 second count.

That is for a DRIBBLER.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Yes. Backcourt violation.

If he'd released the ball before lifting the right foot, it'd be legal.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
A1 catches a pass while straddling the division line.
[Left foot -> front court; right foot -> back court.]

A1 lifts right foot, and releases ball to start dribble onto back court. A1 now has left foot in front court, but continues, taking several dribbles, and steps, in the back court.

Was A1 dribbling because the ball was released?

mick
Back court violation.

If a player catches the ball or jumps and lands straddling...during a steal, jump ball, or throw-in...when they lift the foot that is in the back court they and the ball are in the front court.

The only way the dribble has any baring is if they began the dribble BEFORE they lifted either foot, or they lift the foot in the front court, and then you have a player in the back court dribbling.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
Quote:

1) right foot
2) left foot
3) the ball

That is for a DRIBBLER.
Dribble FROM BACKCOURT TO FRONTCOURT.

mick, in your sitch, I'd say violation. It's not a dribble from backcourt to frontcourt. If he lifted his bc foot before he released, then he had fc status, but he also travelled. If he released the ball first and then lifted his bc foot, he now has frontcourt status, but then dribbles the ball in the backcourt. Seems like a violation to me.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 05:28pm
Esteemed Participant

I'm gonna call traveling, since (in my mind anyway) the right foot was the pivot foot and it was picked up before the ball was released to begin the dribble! That's just a whole lot easier to explain than the backcourt violation (which of course it really is)...
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

How can you call traveling in this situation? He says the guy caught the ball while straddling the line. He lifts one foot - that means the foot still on the floor is the pivot. It's not traveling.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Quote:

1) right foot
2) left foot
3) the ball

That is for a DRIBBLER.

mick, in your sitch, I'd say violation. It's not a dribble from backcourt to frontcourt. If he lifted his bc foot before he released, then he had fc status, but he also travelled. If he released the ball first and then lifted his bc foot, he now has frontcourt status, but then dribbles the ball in the backcourt. Seems like a violation to me.

why do you say he also travelled? Once he lifted the bc foot, the fc foot was now the pivot foot and it's THAT foot that can't be lifted before the player begins the dribble
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 05:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mdray
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

1) right foot
2) left foot
3) the ball

That is for a DRIBBLER.

why do you say he also travelled? Once he lifted the bc foot, the fc foot was now the pivot foot and it's THAT foot that can't be lifted before the player begins the dribble
Yea, okay, I'm tired. So does this mean that rockyroad can't get away with this, either?
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 05:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by mdray
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

1) right foot
2) left foot
3) the ball

That is for a DRIBBLER.

Yea, okay, I'm tired. So does this mean that rockyroad can't get away with this, either?
I already took care of him. Plus I'm grumpy because I have a slight case of the flu. Blah.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 05:43pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty
How can you call traveling in this situation? He says the guy caught the ball while straddling the line. He lifts one foot - that means the foot still on the floor is the pivot. It's not traveling.
And you did, of course, see the little smilie face there, right? And the parantheses where I said it really WAS a backcourt violation??? Whew...this place is getting kinda stuffy...
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 05:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
Quote:
And you did, of course, see the little smilie face there, right? And the parantheses where I said it really WAS a backcourt violation??? Whew...this place is getting kinda stuffy...
No, just sick (Smitty) and tired (me). I've gotta go pick my kid up at school, so you can have more scintillating conversation now about important subjects such as guns, squirrels, and whether or not it's possible to delete a rude post and re-post later, to the confusion of MTD, BBR and others.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 06:16pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
...I have a slight case of the flu. Blah.
Or was that Fubar?
mick
Old Wed Feb 09, 2005, 12:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
...I have a slight case of the flu. Blah.
Or was that Fubar?
mick
It is now. After working 2 games tonight I have a temperature of 101 and feel like crap. At least I got to T a coach up.