The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 26, 2008, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Blarge--questions from coach

Had a scrimmage last night and worked with two officials who weren't as experienced as I am with 3 person. I was the C, A1 drives out of my primary and we have a block/charge play just outside the lane line on my side. It is a block, no doubt about it. Wasn't close to being a charge at all. I have a whistle (I don't signal block) and then see/hear L has a whistle and comes out selling charge big time on A1. I let him take the call and we go back up the court. In a real game, I think we would have to go w/ a blarge to get it right. I asked him afterwards if he would call that play the same way again and he didn't seem as confident. So I passed on the blarge and we go back up the court.

Now for the part I would like some opinions on. This is the first half so I wind up in the lap of Team A's HC. He said he thought it was a really bad call, I said "coach I'll talk to him about it after the quarter" and he seemed satisified. So, let's say it's a regular season game, we pass on the blarge and the coach says "hey I saw you had a foul too, what were you going to call?" How do you handle that? Do you say you had a charge too and look bad b/c of how terrible the call was? Do you make yourself look bad AND hang your partner out to dry by telling the truth and saying you had a block?

Thanks!

Last edited by JS 20; Wed Nov 26, 2008 at 11:40am.
Old Wed Nov 26, 2008, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

"hey I saw you had a foul too, what were you going to call?" How do you handle that? Do you say you had a charge too and look bad b/c of how terrible the call was? Do you make yourself look bad AND hang your partner out to dry by telling the truth and saying you had a block?

I'd never backstab my partner. "I think he got it right, he had a better angle".
Old Wed Nov 26, 2008, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

"He had a real good look at it, Coach. As a crew we had the charge."

Never contradict your partner. It will destroy the whole crew.
Old Wed Nov 26, 2008, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinski View Post
"He had a real good look at it, Coach. As a crew we had the charge."

Never contradict your partner. It will destroy the whole crew.
Absolutely the way I would handle it

-Josh
Old Wed Nov 26, 2008, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS 20 View Post

He said he thought it was a really bad call, I said "coach I'll talk to him about it after the quarter" and he seemed satisified.
Doesn't that statement say you are agreeing with the coach? Are you throwing your partner under the bus saying that?

Rita
Old Wed Nov 26, 2008, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Now for the part I would like some opinions on. This is the first half so I wind up in the lap of Team A's HC.
Oh My!
Must.... find..... my.... 10 ......foot .......pole....
Old Wed Nov 26, 2008, 12:00pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Now for the part I would like some opinions on. This is the first half so I wind up in the lap of Team A's HC. He said he thought it was a really bad call, I said "coach I'll talk to him about it after the quarter" and he seemed satisified. So, let's say it's a regular season game, we pass on the blarge and the coach says "hey I saw you had a foul too, what were you going to call?" How do you handle that? Do you say you had a charge too and look bad b/c of how terrible the call was? Do you make yourself look bad AND hang your partner out to dry by telling the truth and saying you had a block?
I would never even do this. It's effectively telling the coach that you disagree with your partner and you'll "talk to him."

As for this part.

"Coach, he had a better look. You'll have to ask him what he saw when you get a chance."
Old Wed Nov 26, 2008, 12:01pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C View Post
Doesn't that statement say you are agreeing with the coach? Are you throwing your partner under the bus saying that?

Rita
Yes.
Old Wed Nov 26, 2008, 12:07pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I would never even do this. It's effectively telling the coach that you disagree with your partner and you'll "talk to him."

As for this part.

"Coach, he had a better look. You'll have to ask him what he saw when you get a chance."
This happened in a football game earlier this season. I wouldn't let a coach occupy a particular area and when a crew member ended up in his lap, my crew member said "I'll talk to him about it."

He told me and I grimaced. I'm normally the WH on the crew, but I was working BJ and mentoring another guy who will probably take my place if I ever need it.

I said, "You essentially told him you'd set me straight." The crew member didn't see it that way. I was right. Later I again reminded the coach to get back in his box and he said, "[Your partner] said he'd talk to you about this!" To which I replied, "Yeah, he did. And you're still going where I tell you to."

I wouldn't have a long conversation over this. "Crew had a charge. Talk to the guy that made the call." End of story.
Old Wed Nov 26, 2008, 12:18pm
Ch1town

Quote:
It is a block, no doubt about it. Wasn't close to being a charge at all...

the coach says "hey I saw you had a foul too, what were you going to call?" How do you handle that? Do you say you had a charge too and look bad b/c of how terrible the call was?
Some say yes

I've heard NO. For the simple fact that when the coaches, players & your assignor sees the game on tape & if the call was as wrong as the OP suggested, then your credibility is now in question.

I like the following response, because it doesn't suggest that you agree with the ICC nor does it throw your partner under the bus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Old Wed Nov 26, 2008, 01:05pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
This is the first half so I wind up in the lap of Team A's HC.
Not that there's anything wrong with that. (you knew it was coming, didn't you)
Old Wed Nov 26, 2008, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C View Post

Rita
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town View Post
Some say yes

I've heard NO. For the simple fact that when the coaches, players & your assignor sees the game on tape & if the call was as wrong as the OP suggested, then your credibility is now in question.

I like the following response, because it doesn't suggest that you agree with the ICC nor does it throw your partner under the bus.
I agree with you. That would have been the best response. I didn't intend to make my partner look bad w/ my response, but looking back I can totally see how the coach would think I thought my partner was wrong and I was going to chastise him for it.
Old Wed Nov 26, 2008, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

This falls into the divide and conquer section. Statements like "Tim, you gotta help him out" "C'mon, Tim,you saw the travel, tell him to blow the whistle". "He's killing us out there" Once you agree with the coach, you've gone to the darkside.

Three Muskateers I always say.
Old Wed Nov 26, 2008, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

He had a....better look, or.....better angle, or....was closer to the play, Coach. Keep your comments short and safe. RR
Old Wed Nov 26, 2008, 11:56pm
Official Forum Member

When the coach asks you if you had the same call, I typically say that I don't recall the details of the play but my partner had a good look at it and we're going to continue working hard for them. When you get to the locker room at half or EOG you can ask your partner what he had and make it a teaching moment, but while on the court - your partners are all you've got.