View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 26, 2008, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Blarge--questions from coach

Had a scrimmage last night and worked with two officials who weren't as experienced as I am with 3 person. I was the C, A1 drives out of my primary and we have a block/charge play just outside the lane line on my side. It is a block, no doubt about it. Wasn't close to being a charge at all. I have a whistle (I don't signal block) and then see/hear L has a whistle and comes out selling charge big time on A1. I let him take the call and we go back up the court. In a real game, I think we would have to go w/ a blarge to get it right. I asked him afterwards if he would call that play the same way again and he didn't seem as confident. So I passed on the blarge and we go back up the court.

Now for the part I would like some opinions on. This is the first half so I wind up in the lap of Team A's HC. He said he thought it was a really bad call, I said "coach I'll talk to him about it after the quarter" and he seemed satisified. So, let's say it's a regular season game, we pass on the blarge and the coach says "hey I saw you had a foul too, what were you going to call?" How do you handle that? Do you say you had a charge too and look bad b/c of how terrible the call was? Do you make yourself look bad AND hang your partner out to dry by telling the truth and saying you had a block?

Thanks!

Last edited by JS 20; Wed Nov 26, 2008 at 11:40am.