The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 11, 2007, 11:09pm
Official Forum Member

Two questions from a coach please...

11yo Super Series League Game...

Coaches of defensive team are sitting on buckets in front of dugout (man I hate that). Runner advances to third on a shallow hit to center. Runner is safely at third before throw gets to third. Third-baseman misses throw and the ball hits the bucket that defensive coach is sitting on. Runner advances free of risk?

I'm not clear on a visit to the pitcher rule reminded to me tonight. Nowhere in MLB rules, or in SS modifications do I see where you only get two "free" visits to the mound in a game, and thereafter all visits must result in a pitcher replacement. I'm sure I'm missing that somewhere...but where?

thanks in advance,

MT
Old Wed Apr 11, 2007, 11:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarionTiger
11yo Super Series League Game...

Coaches of defensive team are sitting on buckets in front of dugout (man I hate that). Runner advances to third on a shallow hit to center. Runner is safely at third before throw gets to third. Third-baseman misses throw and the ball hits the bucket that defensive coach is sitting on. Runner advances free of risk?

I'm not clear on a visit to the pitcher rule reminded to me tonight. Nowhere in MLB rules, or in SS modifications do I see where you only get two "free" visits to the mound in a game, and thereafter all visits must result in a pitcher replacement. I'm sure I'm missing that somewhere...but where?

thanks in advance,

MT

Superseries baseball uses MLB pitching rules. The rule you quoted is a high school rule and does not apply.

Per the rules posted at superseriesbaseball.com:

4.27 PITCHING LIMITATIONS:
NONE. Per Sporting News rules, pitchers must be removed upon the second visit to the mound or field by any coach in the same inning. If a coach calls time, and crosses the foul line to confer with any player, this shall be considered a visit for that inning.
Old Wed Apr 11, 2007, 11:30pm
Official Forum Member

to your first question....runner is skipping his way along to home. Coach shouldn't be there, and if they are, they should be moving off their fat a$$es if and when any ball comes their way. Allowing them there is another topic all together.

part two...ahhh WHAT??? Your visits depend on your rule set your playing under. NFHS 3-4-1/NCAA 9-4-a, you get three free trips, after three, then pitcher has to be removed. If you remove you pitcher each trip.. you still have all three, it's only a trip if you don't remove your pitcher OBR 8.06, you get one trip per inning, make a second one, and he's done. I'm not familiar with SS modifications so your on your own there.
Old Thu Apr 12, 2007, 12:00am
Official Forum Member

Screwed that one up.... sorry... a second trip to the same pitcher in the same inning in NCAA and he's done also, a coach may have three free trips to the same pitcher in a game, then he must be removed. DAmn... messed that one up
Old Thu Apr 12, 2007, 12:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherblue
Screwed that one up.... sorry... a second trip to the same pitcher in the same inning in NCAA and he's done also, a coach may have three free trips to the same pitcher in a game, then he must be removed. DAmn... messed that one up

Keep trying.
Old Thu Apr 12, 2007, 02:09am
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherblue
NFHS= (2) free trips, removal on third and each subsequent trip. These are trips per game and not per pitcher.
Old Thu Apr 12, 2007, 02:27am

Quote:
Originally Posted by w_sohl
NFHS= (2) free trips, removal on third and each subsequent trip. These are trips per game and not per pitcher.
He was referring to NCAA rules.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Apr 12, 2007, 02:33am
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
He was referring to NCAA rules.
Yep, I'm a moron who only reads what he wants. Plain as day that he was refering to NCAA and I make a stupid comment. My appologies, I really feel like an idiot now.
Old Thu Apr 12, 2007, 02:42am

I didn't post it to make you feel like an idiot. If you want to, you can delete the post, I'll delete both of mine, and we'll pretend it never happened. We are the only two up this late anyway!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Apr 12, 2007, 06:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by w_sohl
Wrong, 3 free, removal on 4th.
Old Thu Apr 12, 2007, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for all of your responses.

The bucket thing is obvious to me, but I cannot find a rule on it.

On the pitcher replacement, I certainly could have phrased it better. I think I have the answer I was looking for now, thanks. Per MLB/SS rules, there is no limit on how many times I can visit the mound without removing the pitcher, per game. Per pitcher per inning, sure, but there is no limit on how many times per game...

Also, we continuously run into instances where the line-up provided to us has either the wrong name, or number. When I appeal to the home umpire that the number is wrong, I almost always get, "well, the name is right though, so it is okay." Well, not every team has names on the jerseys. It amazes me how much we run into this, and further amazes me how it doesn't matter. It doesn't make me mad because this is just 11yo travel ball, but at some point, it will matter I hope. Otherwise, why do we need a line up at all?

thanks again...
Old Thu Apr 12, 2007, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Also, we continuously run into instances where the line-up provided to us has either the wrong name, or number. When I appeal to the home umpire that the number is wrong, I almost always get, "well, the name is right though, so it is okay." Well, not every team has names on the jerseys. It amazes me how much we run into this, and further amazes me how it doesn't matter.
I'm not quite sure what your point is here, but this is the rule -- it's the name that matters, not the number.
Old Thu Apr 12, 2007, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
I'm not quite sure what your point is here, but this is the rule -- it's the name that matters, not the number.
Okay, thanks. So without names on the jerseys, how is this verified? I've been in the other situation as well, where the number was right, but the name on the line up card did not match the name on the jersey, and was told the number was what mattered. Is it so difficult to have ALL of the information correct? I must admit, I have not looked very hard for a written rule on this, but will do so. Seems a given the accuracy of this would be mandatory.
Old Thu Apr 12, 2007, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Okay, thanks. So without names on the jerseys, how is this verified?
I suggest a 'retina scan'. But seriously, does your league have an issue with 11 year old kids running around under assumed names? Call the kid's name loudly, and see who turns around....

Quote:

I've been in the other situation as well, where the number was right, but the name on the line up card did not match the name on the jersey, and was told the number was what mattered.
That's incorrect, as was pointed out earlier.

Quote:
Is it so difficult to have ALL of the information correct? I must admit, I have not looked very hard for a written rule on this, but will do so. Seems a given the accuracy of this would be mandatory.
Well, you sometimes have kids who show up without a jersey and borrow one, etc. But that's an issue for your league and your coaches. The umpire should check over the lineup at the plate meeting for duplicate numbers, names, etc. But if the numbers and names don't conflict on the lineup but there's still an error, that's all he can do at that time. He ain't going to the dugout to check IDs.
Old Thu Apr 12, 2007, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Re; the coach on the bucket...depending on the rule set, if the runner was standing on 3rd(not trying to advance) when the ball hit the bucket, and runner then didnt try to advance- I'd have nothing........I'd give the runner home if there was any chance that said runner was trying to advance, or in a position to(off bag between 3rd and home/watching the throw)- no advantage given to defense by me sending the runner back to 3rd.....