The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Blarge--questions from coach (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50048-blarge-questions-coach.html)

JS 20 Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:38am

Blarge--questions from coach

Had a scrimmage last night and worked with two officials who weren't as experienced as I am with 3 person. I was the C, A1 drives out of my primary and we have a block/charge play just outside the lane line on my side. It is a block, no doubt about it. Wasn't close to being a charge at all. I have a whistle (I don't signal block) and then see/hear L has a whistle and comes out selling charge big time on A1. I let him take the call and we go back up the court. In a real game, I think we would have to go w/ a blarge to get it right. I asked him afterwards if he would call that play the same way again and he didn't seem as confident. So I passed on the blarge and we go back up the court.

Now for the part I would like some opinions on. This is the first half so I wind up in the lap of Team A's HC. He said he thought it was a really bad call, I said "coach I'll talk to him about it after the quarter" and he seemed satisified. So, let's say it's a regular season game, we pass on the blarge and the coach says "hey I saw you had a foul too, what were you going to call?" How do you handle that? Do you say you had a charge too and look bad b/c of how terrible the call was? Do you make yourself look bad AND hang your partner out to dry by telling the truth and saying you had a block?

Thanks!

fullor30 Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:47am

"hey I saw you had a foul too, what were you going to call?" How do you handle that? Do you say you had a charge too and look bad b/c of how terrible the call was? Do you make yourself look bad AND hang your partner out to dry by telling the truth and saying you had a block?

I'd never backstab my partner. "I think he got it right, he had a better angle".

Vinski Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:54am

"He had a real good look at it, Coach. As a crew we had the charge."

Never contradict your partner. It will destroy the whole crew.

jdmara Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinski (Post 553450)
"He had a real good look at it, Coach. As a crew we had the charge."

Never contradict your partner. It will destroy the whole crew.

Absolutely the way I would handle it

-Josh

Rita C Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JS 20 (Post 553447)

He said he thought it was a really bad call, I said "coach I'll talk to him about it after the quarter" and he seemed satisified.

Doesn't that statement say you are agreeing with the coach? Are you throwing your partner under the bus saying that?

Rita

CoachP Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:59am

Quote:

Now for the part I would like some opinions on. This is the first half so I wind up in the lap of Team A's HC.

Oh My!
Must.... find..... my.... 10 ......foot .......pole....

Adam Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:00pm

Quote:

Now for the part I would like some opinions on. This is the first half so I wind up in the lap of Team A's HC. He said he thought it was a really bad call, I said "coach I'll talk to him about it after the quarter" and he seemed satisified. So, let's say it's a regular season game, we pass on the blarge and the coach says "hey I saw you had a foul too, what were you going to call?" How do you handle that? Do you say you had a charge too and look bad b/c of how terrible the call was? Do you make yourself look bad AND hang your partner out to dry by telling the truth and saying you had a block?

I would never even do this. It's effectively telling the coach that you disagree with your partner and you'll "talk to him."

As for this part.

"Coach, he had a better look. You'll have to ask him what he saw when you get a chance."

Adam Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rita C (Post 553452)
Doesn't that statement say you are agreeing with the coach? Are you throwing your partner under the bus saying that?

Rita

Yes.

Rich Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 553454)
I would never even do this. It's effectively telling the coach that you disagree with your partner and you'll "talk to him."

As for this part.

"Coach, he had a better look. You'll have to ask him what he saw when you get a chance."

This happened in a football game earlier this season. I wouldn't let a coach occupy a particular area and when a crew member ended up in his lap, my crew member said "I'll talk to him about it."

He told me and I grimaced. I'm normally the WH on the crew, but I was working BJ and mentoring another guy who will probably take my place if I ever need it.

I said, "You essentially told him you'd set me straight." The crew member didn't see it that way. I was right. Later I again reminded the coach to get back in his box and he said, "[Your partner] said he'd talk to you about this!" To which I replied, "Yeah, he did. And you're still going where I tell you to."

I wouldn't have a long conversation over this. "Crew had a charge. Talk to the guy that made the call." End of story.

Ch1town Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:18pm

Quote:

It is a block, no doubt about it. Wasn't close to being a charge at all...

the coach says "hey I saw you had a foul too, what were you going to call?" How do you handle that? Do you say you had a charge too and look bad b/c of how terrible the call was?

Some say yes :(

I've heard NO. For the simple fact that when the coaches, players & your assignor sees the game on tape & if the call was as wrong as the OP suggested, then your credibility is now in question.

I like the following response, because it doesn't suggest that you agree with the ICC nor does it throw your partner under the bus.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 553454)

Mark Padgett Wed Nov 26, 2008 01:05pm

Quote:

This is the first half so I wind up in the lap of Team A's HC.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. (you knew it was coming, didn't you) :rolleyes:

JS 20 Wed Nov 26, 2008 01:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rita C (Post 553452)

Rita

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ch1town (Post 553460)
Some say yes :(

I\'ve heard NO. For the simple fact that when the coaches, players & your assignor sees the game on tape & if the call was as wrong as the OP suggested, then your credibility is now in question.

I like the following response, because it doesn\'t suggest that you agree with the ICC nor does it throw your partner under the bus.

I agree with you. That would have been the best response. I didn\'t intend to make my partner look bad w/ my response, but looking back I can totally see how the coach would think I thought my partner was wrong and I was going to chastise him for it.

fullor30 Wed Nov 26, 2008 04:31pm

This falls into the divide and conquer section. Statements like "Tim, you gotta help him out" "C\'mon, Tim,you saw the travel, tell him to blow the whistle". "He\'s killing us out there" Once you agree with the coach, you\'ve gone to the darkside.

Three Muskateers I always say.

refnrev Wed Nov 26, 2008 04:53pm

He had a....better look, or.....better angle, or....was closer to the play, Coach. Keep your comments short and safe. RR

derwil Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:56pm

When the coach asks you if you had the same call, I typically say that I don\'t recall the details of the play but my partner had a good look at it and we\'re going to continue working hard for them. When you get to the locker room at half or EOG you can ask your partner what he had and make it a teaching moment, but while on the court - your partners are all you\'ve got.