The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 25, 2008, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref View Post
For whatever reason I have been reffing under the impression that calling a double foul is a bad call. My thinking has been along the lines that someone has always initiated the contact first. Well last night changed that thinking pretty quick.

Beevus and Butthead are doing the little post dance. I'm talking to them, more of a let them know I'm paying attention talk.Not much going on but enough that they have the majority of my attention. Up and down the court we go,several times, still not much actually happening but...
all of a sudden they both start banging on each other really hard. It needed to be addressed . I did, I called a double foul. Either the call cleaned it up or they got tired but either way it stopped.

Do any of you call double fouls and is it a call that you use regularly ?
I dont use it alot, but that is pretty much exactly the circumstance where I use it. Thinking back to the times I have called it, I think I have always warned them at least once with a "knock it off both of you two". Next time down, same thing. Ring it up.

I dont know if this comment will be helpful, but like many things double fouls tend to call themselves. Its hard to quantify, and maybe I'll think about it more to see if I can put my finger on it, but I have always felt that the double foul was real clear when I called it. Maybe because I used to play the post. Its just a kind of play you dont see alot. You often see two people playing hard and posting up. You often see one push the other. But in my experience you rarely see both fouling the other and it is pretty easy to see and call. Maybe its just me. In my view, they kind of stick out like a sore thumb.
Old Tue Nov 25, 2008, 07:53pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Eyes Wide Shut ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachP View Post
Ohhhhhhhhh! BillyMac is so gonna jump off the wagon!!!
I'm keeping my eyes closed.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Nov 25, 2008, 07:55pm
Esteemed Forum Member

If I Played Hookey, Who Would Test The Water After You Flush ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachP View Post
Yeah, BTW where IS BillyMac today???
Hey. Some of us have to work for a living.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Tue Nov 25, 2008, 07:56pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I Go Back In February ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy View Post
Therapy?
That was last week.

Old Tue Nov 25, 2008, 08:14pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Double Your Pleasure, Double Your Fun ...

Two seasons ago, I had a partner, a veteran, who calls a pretty good game, but doesn't pay too much attention to rules, or mechanics, ream me out at halftime for calling a double foul in the first half, and to never call a double foul in any of his games ever again. I filed that "constructive criticism" under, "When In Rome". These two kids were elbowing each other at the mid-post position. They didn't heed my warning to, "Knock it off". My double foul cleaned up that type of action for the rest of the game.

My philosophy is that if it will make a difference in the game, call it, but call it early in the game, and, although it's not as important, early in the season. I make sure to call at least one double foul a season during my scrimmages.

Ten of the seventy-five questions, that's 13%, on the 2008-09 IAABO Refresher Exam were about double fouls? I don't think that I've called ten double fouls in the past five years, from high school varsity, all the way down to third graders, in hundreds of games.

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Nov 26, 2008 at 01:01am.
Old Wed Nov 26, 2008, 01:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref View Post
For whatever reason I have been reffing under the impression that calling a double foul is a bad call. My thinking has been along the lines that someone has always initiated the contact first. Well last night changed that thinking pretty quick.

Beevus and Butthead are doing the little post dance. I'm talking to them, more of a let them know I'm paying attention talk.Not much going on but enough that they have the majority of my attention. Up and down the court we go,several times, still not much actually happening but...
all of a sudden they both start banging on each other really hard. It needed to be addressed . I did, I called a double foul. Either the call cleaned it up or they got tired but either way it stopped.

Do any of you call double fouls and is it a call that you use regularly ?
There was one called tonight in the North Carolina/Oregon game on ESPN.

What does that tell you?
Old Wed Nov 26, 2008, 08:30am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Two seasons ago, I had a partner, a veteran, who calls a pretty good game, but doesn't pay too much attention to rules, or mechanics, ream me out at halftime for calling a double foul in the first half, and to never call a double foul in any of his games ever again. I filed that "constructive criticism" under, "When In Rome".

What makes your partner the emperor?
Old Wed Nov 26, 2008, 01:31pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
What makes your partner the emperor?
Maybe he was working with Dr. Naismith.
Old Wed Nov 26, 2008, 01:35pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
Maybe he was working with Dr. Naismith.
I'm thinking his partner should go here for some reading.
Old Wed Nov 26, 2008, 01:39pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I'm thinking his partner should go here for some reading.
I agree.

Then again, if he didn't pay too much attention to rules maybe he didn't know how to penalize a double foul.