The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 28, 2005, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

player A1 shoots a two pointer player B2 fouls A1
trail official calls a double foul on both A1 and B1 ball goes in basket. I know on double foul you go to arrow to see who gets ball but most double fouls are away from the play

so count the basket and then go to arrow?
Old Fri Jan 28, 2005, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gmoore
trail official calls a double foul on both A1 and B1 ball goes in basket. I know on double foul you go to arrow to see who gets ball but most double fouls are away from the play

Boy oh boy, this is a convoluded one. You're telling me that one official called a foul on B2 and another official called a foul on both A1 and B1? That means that both officials were watching the shot which should not happen. I think I know what you mean so how about if I re-write it for you?

A1 is fouled by B1 on the shot. Basket goes in. Simple so far. Count the hoop and shoot one free throw. Now it sounds as if another official called a double foul on A2 and B2 while the shot was in the air. Is that correct? If so, I've never heard that one before but OK. Do things in order right? A1 shoots the free throw to complete the shooting foul and then move on to the double foul. Double foul you go to AP arrow and the throw-in would be at the spot nearest the foul committed by the opponent of the team that will get the AP throw-in.

If the double foul was called after the ball went through the hoop, now you've got a double foul called during a dead ball situation so the double foul would have to be technical. Administer the same as above only the throw-in will be at halfcourt opposite the table.

Yuck!

Z
Old Fri Jan 28, 2005, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Quote:

Boy oh boy, this is a convoluded one. You're telling me that one official called a foul on B2 and another official called a foul on both A1 and B1? That means that both officials were watching the shot which should not happen. I think I know what you mean so how about if I re-write it for you?

A1 is fouled by B1 on the shot. Basket goes in. Simple so far. Count the hoop and shoot one free throw. Now it sounds as if another official called a double foul on A2 and B2 while the shot was in the air. Is that correct? If so, I've never heard that one before but OK. Do things in order right? A1 shoots the free throw to complete the shooting foul and then move on to the double foul. Double foul you go to AP arrow and the throw-in would be at the spot nearest the foul committed by the opponent of the team that will get the AP throw-in.

If the double foul was called after the ball went through the hoop, now you've got a double foul called during a dead ball situation so the double foul would have to be technical. Administer the same as above only the throw-in will be at halfcourt opposite the table.

Yuck!

Z
I think you're missing his point. I think there was a single call, a call on the shot, and that call was double foul, a call made by trail. I think the post-er thought it was a simple B1 foul, but that's not what got called. Gmoore, basket gets wiped, go to the arrow, talk to your partner at half-time about why it got called that way. Suggest next time on a block/charge it might be better to choose one person as the foul-er and one as the foul-ee.
Old Fri Jan 28, 2005, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

ok sorry if i confused anyone

I was lead my partner was trail the play happened on the elbow player A1 was Guarded by B1-- A1 goes up for shot ball goes thru basket i hear whistle my partner call Double foul on A1 and B1 so you saying to NOT count the basket?and go to pocession arrow?
Old Fri Jan 28, 2005, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

OK, now I understand. Ball becomes dead when a shooter fouls so no basket. Go to AP on the double foul.

Kind of an unusual foul. I've never seen a double foul called on the shooter and the defender of the shooter.

Z
Old Fri Jan 28, 2005, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Me either but my partner counted the basket and then went to the arrow I didn’t think this was correct but he was the REF. for that game.... kicker is team A won by two!!

would it have mattered in the call if the foul happened after the air born shooter returned to the floor and maybe
pushed player B1 who was boxing the shooter out for rebound possibility?

[Edited by Gmoore on Jan 28th, 2005 at 11:13 AM]
Old Fri Jan 28, 2005, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Me either but my partner counted the basket and then went to the arrow I didn’t think this was correct but he was the REF. for that game.... kicker is team A won by two!!

would it have mattered in the call if the foul happened after the air born shooter returned to the floor and maybe
pushed player B1 who was boxing the shooter out for rebound possibility?

[Edited by Gmoore on Jan 28th, 2005 at 11:13 AM]
Yes, it would matter. Great point. Count the basket, go to the arrow. Perhaps this is what your partner saw?
Old Fri Jan 28, 2005, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
OK, now I understand. Ball becomes dead when a shooter fouls so no basket. Go to AP on the double foul.

Not true if the ball was in flight before the foul(s).

Count the basket and go to the arrow.

See 4.19.7C
Old Fri Jan 28, 2005, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:

Not true if the ball was in flight before the foul(s).

Count the basket and go to the arrow.

See 4.19.7C
If the fouls happened simultaneously and the official truly calls a simultaneous double foul (rather than a false double foul), I concur (although I will never call that). I could be interpreting wrong, but it sounded to me as if the contact by B1 happened first which would then be case 4.19.6 Situation A and actually be a false double foul instead. In that case, I still had it wrong and you shoot two free throws. I'm glad I don't know any officials who call double fouls that involve the shooter.

Z