The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 25, 2008, 09:47am
Administrator

Jon Dielber Watch: 2008-09 (Let the fun begin!)

Jon had 9 points in OSU season opener against Delaware State on Nov. 20th and had 17 points last night in the Buckeyes win over BGSU (Bowling Green State). Jon is leading the Bucks in scoring with a 14 ppg average.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Nov 25, 2008, 10:38am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
You ARE the president of his fan club, right?
Old Tue Nov 25, 2008, 10:46am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
You ARE the president of his fan club, right?

Absolutely not. Search his name in the Basketball Forum of Officiating.com.

His dad use to be the boys' varsity basketball coach at Gibsonburg (Ohio) H.S. in the Suburban Lakes League. His dad was known to have a short fuse when it came to officiating. Everybody thought that I must have T'ed him up a dozen times, but never once did I have a problem with him in all of the games that I officiated involving his teams.

Of course, there is more to the story. The first time I ever officiated a game that involved him and his team was many many years ago and it was a scrimmage game before the start of the season. I made a call that he didn't like and came screaming onto the court. I put up the stop sign and told him in no uncertain terms that I don't tolerate this kind of conduct in a real game I am not going to tolerate it in a scrimmage. He backed off and we always had a cordial relationship after that and he never once acted in an unsportsmanlike manner in any of the games that I officiated. That doesn't mean he wasn't a real stinker for other officials in other games. I think it was two or three years ago, he was ejected from a game and had to sit out a two game suspension.

His teams played a run and gun style of basketball that I normally wouldn't enjoy as a student of the game, but his teams were always very competitive at the least and more often than not very good.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Nov 25, 2008, 11:13am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
I know Mark. I've been here a while and was just yanking your chain as the Diebler watch again gains its annual momentum..... good first-hand story though.

It is kinda cool to watch those you have reffed move forward. I recall last yr several members of the Forum posted the names of those they had reffed who "made it." Kinda cool.

Me, I am still "relatively young" and as I watch my son, and his friends/classmates (many of whom I have coached and reffed) now play HS ball, I take great pride in seeing them grow up as good young men first and basketball players second.
Old Tue Nov 25, 2008, 11:34am
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Jon had 9 points in OSU season opener against Delaware State on Nov. 20th and had 17 points last night in the Buckeyes win over BGSU (Bowling Green State). Jon is leading the Bucks in scoring with a 14 ppg average.

MTD, Sr.
And he did all this while selling popcorn! I heard they're thinking of changing the name of the school to "Diebler State University"! I'd love to have a "DSU" t-shirt, and I don't mean Delaware State.

BTW - years ago, Delaware State played Portland State in football, when Neil Lomax was the QB here. Portland State scored over 90 points. After the game, the PSU baseball coach said in front of the press, "I wonder if Delaware State has a baseball team?" That's cold.
Old Tue Nov 25, 2008, 01:06pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
And he did all this while selling popcorn! I heard they're thinking of changing the name of the school to "Diebler State University"! I'd love to have a "DSU" t-shirt, and I don't mean Delaware State.

BTW - years ago, Delaware State played Portland State in football, when Neil Lomax was the QB here. Portland State scored over 90 points. After the game, the PSU baseball coach said in front of the press, "I wonder if Delaware State has a baseball team?" That's cold.

Mark:

I can do you one better. Back in the day, before Roger Staubach joined the Dallas Cowboys, NAS, Pensacola still had a football team that played Div. II schools and Staubach played QB on the team for the team the years between the time he graduated from the Naval Academy and joined the Cowboys. Fall 1969 was the last year that the Navy had the team at Pensacola and they traveled to Youngstown to play Youngstown State University. YSU still didn't have its own stadium at that year played its home games at Rayen Stadium (Youngstown Rayen H.S.), and the starting QB for YSU that year was a young man from Erie, PA, buy the name of Ron Jawarski. (see Monday Night Football). Between the two of them they throw about 7 or 8 TD passes.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Nov 25, 2008, 01:26pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Mark:

Between the two of them they throw about 7 or 8 TD passes.

MTD, Sr.
Lomax routinely threw that many by himself when he was at Portland State. In fact, now that I'm back on my meds, I think his team had 103 points in that Delaware State game. The final was something like 103-6. BTW - his son Jack is going to attend Oregon State starting next year. And yes, he's a QB too.
Old Tue Nov 25, 2008, 03:27pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Lomax probably threw for a record when it came to touchdowns, but I don't think any of those NFL legends had anything on a quarterback from Dana College in Nebraska about 3 or 4 years ago, who actually attempted 101 passes in a game, completing about 50-60-some of them. It was nutso, and I know a couple of guys who worked that game, saying thank god they were in a 7-man crew finally that year. The conference went to 7-man that fall from 6-man.
Old Tue Nov 25, 2008, 04:57pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Ya' know, I think this is the first Diebler thread that turned into a college football thread. Who da' thunk it?
Old Tue Nov 25, 2008, 06:04pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Ya' know, I think this is the first Diebler thread that turned into a college football thread. Who da' thunk it?
This time of year? Weird.
Old Tue Nov 25, 2008, 08:24pm
Esteemed Forum Member

You Tossed It To Me Underhand ...

Quote:
Who da' thunk it?
Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Nov 25, 2008 at 08:40pm.