View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 25, 2008, 10:46am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
You ARE the president of his fan club, right?

Absolutely not. Search his name in the Basketball Forum of Officiating.com.

His dad use to be the boys' varsity basketball coach at Gibsonburg (Ohio) H.S. in the Suburban Lakes League. His dad was known to have a short fuse when it came to officiating. Everybody thought that I must have T'ed him up a dozen times, but never once did I have a problem with him in all of the games that I officiated involving his teams.

Of course, there is more to the story. The first time I ever officiated a game that involved him and his team was many many years ago and it was a scrimmage game before the start of the season. I made a call that he didn't like and came screaming onto the court. I put up the stop sign and told him in no uncertain terms that I don't tolerate this kind of conduct in a real game I am not going to tolerate it in a scrimmage. He backed off and we always had a cordial relationship after that and he never once acted in an unsportsmanlike manner in any of the games that I officiated. That doesn't mean he wasn't a real stinker for other officials in other games. I think it was two or three years ago, he was ejected from a game and had to sit out a two game suspension.

His teams played a run and gun style of basketball that I normally wouldn't enjoy as a student of the game, but his teams were always very competitive at the least and more often than not very good.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio