The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 23, 2008, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Signal for Team Control Foul

Would you please explain the proper mechanic (and your preferred mechanic, if different) for calling the player control foul, and the team control foul. I know there is a difference, though many use the same signal.....Also, does the Team Control foul start with the fist in the air, and then go to the forward punch? Or the forward punch first?

Thanks, Skarecrow
Old Sun Nov 23, 2008, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Fouls always start with the fist in the air.

Player control is a completely different signal than team control in NFHS games. Check your book.

My preferred mechanic on a team control foul is whistle with the fist up, then punch the opposite direction while verbalizing, for example, "Blue 42, illegal screen." Then at the table I'll report "Blue 42", make the illegal screen (blocking) mechanic, then say "team control" while giving the fist signal.
Old Sun Nov 23, 2008, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for that....I knew they are different, but wasn't sure how to start the team control foul....Thanks for the lesson....S
Old Sun Nov 23, 2008, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarecrow View Post
Thanks for that....I knew they are different, but wasn't sure how to start the team control foul....Thanks for the lesson....S
My preferred mechanic is not exactly by the book, but it's the accepted practice here. By the book would include giving the preliminary signal for whatever type of foul at the spot of the foul.
Old Sun Nov 23, 2008, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018 View Post
Fouls always start with the fist in the air.

Player control is a completely different signal than team control in NFHS games. Check your book.

My preferred mechanic on a team control foul is whistle with the fist up, then punch the opposite direction while verbalizing, for example, "Blue 42, illegal screen." Then at the table I'll report "Blue 42", make the illegal screen (blocking) mechanic, then say "team control" while giving the fist signal.
This is how I do it. I think it's important to be vocal on team control fouls because if not, no one really knows what's going on sometimes.
Old Sun Nov 23, 2008, 12:29pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Player Control Foul Signal ...

For some reason, and I don't think it's by the book, almost all officials on my local board do not give any other signal in addition to the player control foul signal, that is we only signal player control foul (hand behind head) and do not signal the actual reason for the foul, pushing/charging (two hand push). This is true 99.44% of the time at the site of the foul. Some of us may signal the additional pushing/charging (two hand push) after we signal player control foul (hand behind head) at the reporting area to the table if it's not the classic "train wreck" player control foul, rather it's the dribbler giving the defender a strong arm push.

I've always thought that these mechanics were somewhat odd being not by the book, but they have survived twenty-eight years under three different interpreters, with no one ever questioning these not by the book mechanics. Is this just a local thing, or do other boards/associations do the same thing?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Nov 23, 2008 at 12:31pm.
Old Sun Nov 23, 2008, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

Not in Ohio

The OHSAA made a different mechanic for all offensive fouls. We are to use the behind the head (charge) sign for ALL offensive fouls
Old Sun Nov 23, 2008, 10:25pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I Find This Quote Offensive ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignats75 View Post
The OHSAA made a different mechanic for all offensive fouls. We are to use the behind the head (charge) sign for ALL offensive fouls
You mean all team control fouls, including the subset of player control fouls, don't you?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Nov 23, 2008, 10:45pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018 View Post
My preferred mechanic is not exactly by the book, but it's the accepted practice here. By the book would include giving the preliminary signal for whatever type of foul at the spot of the foul.
According to the NF material (in their PowerPoint information), the proper mechanic is this series.
  1. Fist
  2. Team Control Signal
  3. Foul Type (block, push, charge)
  4. Spot of throw-in

Peace
Old Mon Nov 24, 2008, 09:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
You mean all team control fouls, including the subset of player control fouls, don't you?
Yes, that is what I meant
Old Tue Nov 25, 2008, 12:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
According to the NF material (in their PowerPoint information), the proper mechanic is this series.
  1. Fist
  2. Team Control Signal
  3. Foul Type (block, push, charge)
  4. Spot of throw-in

Peace
Thanks for the input.....VERY helpful....sets me straight....