The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 19, 2008, 08:14pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Loose Ends, Let's Tie Em Up ...

I'm about to finish up my Administrative Technical Foul Penalties study guide. It's been very difficult to come up with a consensus on some of the penalty time limit interpretations. Here are some of the easier sections of my study guide that we can all, hopefully, agree on:

Penalized when it occurs, pregame, after ten minute time limit. A maximum of one technical foul for both requirements, 1a, and 1b:
a) A team shall not fail to supply the scorer with the name, and number, of each team member who may participate at least ten minutes before the scheduled starting time. Team technical foul.
b) A team shall not fail to designate the five starting players at least ten minutes before the scheduled starting time. Team technical foul.
Seems simple. Once the game starts, it's too late to penalize under these rules. We move on to a different set of rules that apply to changing the scorebook after the game starts.

Penalized if discovered before ball becomes alive to start the game:
a) A team shall not change a designated starter (with exceptions) after the ten minute time limit. Team technical foul. A maximum of one foul per team regardless of the number of infractions. A maximum of one technical foul per team regardless of the number of infractions for 2a, 3a, 3b, 3c, 4a. If a player starts who was not designated to be a starter, the infraction has to be discovered, and penalized, before the ball becomes live to start the game. Once the ball becomes live, it is too late to penalize this specific infraction, and no penalty can be assessed.
Seems pretty straightforward. Once the ball is tossed, it's too late to penalize under this rule.

Penalized when discovered:
a) A team shall not have identical numbers on team members, and/or players, after the ten minute time limit. Team technical foul. Charged upon discovery of identical numbers. A maximum of one foul per team regardless of the number of infractions. A maximum of one technical foul per team regardless of the number of infractions for 2a, 3a, 3b, 3c, 4a. Only one team member may wear a given number; the other must change to a number not already in use before participating.
b) The head coach shall not permit a team member to participate while wearing an illegal number. Penalized when discovered. A maximum of one technical foul shall be charged directly to the head coach regardless of the number of offenders. The team member with the illegal uniform number may participate without further penalty and is not required to change his/her number. If no changes are made to the scorebook, no infraction has occurred.
c) A team shall not request an excess timeout. Team technical foul. The penalty for an excessive timeout is assessed when discovered.
Are all of these penalized whenever they are discovered, with no time limits, up to when the officials leave the visual confines of the court? The identical numbers penalty seems easy. When the official discovers identical numbers, whether the players played, or just sat on the bench, this rule is penalized. The excess time out penalty seems easy. If the excess time out is taken in the third period, and it's not reported to the officials until the middle of the fourth period, it's still penalized. The illegal number doesn't seem as easy to penalize. It seems that it's only penalized if the team member actually plays, or "participates". What if #86 played in the first period, undetected by the officials, but at half time, the scorekeeper informed the officials that #86, wearing an illegal number participated. Is it too late to penalize, or must the officials wait until #86 "participates" in the game again?

Penalized if discovered while being violated:
a) A team shall not have more than five team members participating simultaneously. Team technical foul. A team technical foul is charged if recognized by an official before the ball becomes live following the first dead ball. If it was not recognized by either official, but was called to their attention after the ball became live following the first dead ball, it is too late to assess any penalty.
b) A player shall not participate after changing a number without reporting the change to the scorer and an official. Player flagrant technical foul.
c) The head coach shall not permit a team member to participate after being removed from the game for disqualification. Technical foul charged directly to the head coach.
Six players are participating. It's noticed by the officials as the players are walking off the court for a timeout. It seems that it can be penalized until the ball next becomes live. After that, it's too late to penalize. If a team member is participating while wearing a changed number, this can be penalized, however, once that player is subsituted for, and leaves the game, it’s too late to penalize. Same thing for a disqualified player. If the disqualified player is participating, this can be penalized, however, once that disqualified player is subsituted for, and leaves the game, it’s too late to penalize.

Penalized if discovered before the ball becomes live:
a) A substitute shall not enter the court without reporting to the scorer; and without being beckoned by an official, except between periods. Substitute technical foul. A maximum of one foul for either, or both, requirements, reporting, and/or beckoned. A substitute technical foul is charged if recognized by an official before the ball becomes live following the first dead ball. Once the ball becomes live, the substitute is a legal player at that point, the foul is not penalized.
This one seems real easy to penalize. Once the ball becomes live, the substitute is a legal player at that point, the foul is not penalized.

Comments from Forum members would be greatly appreciated, especially for the red colored section.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Nov 19, 2008 at 09:09pm.
Old Wed Nov 19, 2008, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

I do not understand your hesitation on this point: The illegal number doesn't seem as easy to penalize. It seems that it's only penalized if the team member actually plays, or "participates". What if #86 played in the first period, undetected by the officials, but at half time, the scorekeeper informed the officials that #86, wearing an illegal number participated. Is it too late to penalize, or must the officials wait until #86 "participates" in the game again?

If "penalized when discovered" means what it means for excess time outs, how would it mean anything different for an illegal uniform/number. If #86 plays, he has participated. At any point from when he's beckoned onto the floor until all officials have left the visual confines of the court at the end of the game, the head coach is on the hook if it's brought to the official's attention.

Seems very clear to me.
Old Wed Nov 19, 2008, 11:23pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I Can See Clearly Now ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
If "penalized when discovered" means what it means for excess time outs, how would it mean anything different for an illegal uniform/number. If #86 plays, he has participated. At any point from when he's beckoned onto the floor until all officials have left the visual confines of the court at the end of the game, the head coach is on the hook if it's brought to the official's attention. Seems very clear to me.
And now, thanks to you, it's clearer to me. What was confusing me was trying to figure out if the interpretation of the rule for "penalized when discovered" was referring to the coach permitting #86 to participate; or if it was referring to #86 participating. Since the technical foul is charged to the head coach, then, I guess, that we're penalizing the coach for permitting #86 to participate, and anytime after he permitted that infraction, he, or she, could, should, and would be penalized, until the officials have left the visual confines of the court.

Sometimes I wish I had never started this project, but thanks to some help from members of this Forum, I hope to complete this study guide in a few days.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Fri Nov 21, 2008, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

The fact that you've only had one response pretty much says we have nothing to add.

Nice job.....thanks. I may use this in a handout for our association.
Old Fri Nov 21, 2008, 08:07pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Coming Soon to A Forum Near You ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
I may use this in a handout for our association.
These are the "easier", less controversial sections. I'll probably post the entire study guide on Sunday.

Old Fri Nov 21, 2008, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

Can I call you Rev Billy Sunday?
Old Fri Nov 21, 2008, 09:50pm
Esteemed Forum Member

"I am serious. And don't call me Shirley."

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
Can I call you Rev. Billy Sunday?
Ahh, ya doesn't has to call me Johnson! You can call me Ray, or you can call me Jay, or you can call me Johnny or you can call me Sonny, or you can call me RayJay, or you can call me RJ... but ya doesn't hafta call me Johnson.