The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 18, 2008, 12:11am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to sihoops2
Socks?

Are socks considered an undergarment and every player has to wear the same color?
Old Tue Nov 18, 2008, 12:37am
Official Forum Member

No, there is nothing in the rules that involves socks, give it time though!
Old Tue Nov 18, 2008, 12:49am
M.A.S.H.

Oh brother...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sihoops2 View Post
Are socks considered an undergarment and every player has to wear the same color?
3-5-6

If they were considered an undergarment, they would be illegal because they extend below the pants/skirt. Therefore, the color wouldn't matter.
Old Tue Nov 18, 2008, 01:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOofficial View Post
No, there is nothing in the rules that involves socks, give it time though!
It's in the Case Book.

UNIFORMS — LOGO..
3.6.1 SITUATION:
A6 enters the game with an excessive manufacturer’s or school’s logo on his/her: (a) socks; or (b) wristbands. RULING: Legal in (a). In (b), A6 may not participate and is directed to return to the bench until legally equipped. COMMENT: The restriction on visible manufacturer’s or school’s logo size is in effect on pants/skirts, compression shorts, wristbands and headbands. The shoes and socks are not considered part of the uniform for purpose of visible logo size.

Old Tue Nov 18, 2008, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

So they can come out with anything they want too written on their socks and no matter what color they are or how stupid they look we can't say anything at all, pitiful! I'm like MOofficial though, just give it time, they will have something about them soon!
Old Tue Nov 18, 2008, 09:39pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The NFHS Ruled On Tattoos, Why Not Socks ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by jritchie View Post
So they can come out with anything they want too written on their socks and no matter what color they are or how stupid they look we can't say anything at all.
Several years ago the NFHS came out with a rulings about "offensive" tattoos. I'm sure that if a team came out with socks with vulgar, or in some other way, offensive (racial, sexual orientation, ethnicity, religion, etc.), writing on them, that we could find some NFHS rule, or interpretation, to apply and penalize.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Nov 18, 2008, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jritchie View Post
So they can come out with anything they want too written on their socks and no matter what color they are or how stupid they look we can't say anything at all, pitiful! I'm like MOofficial though, just give it time, they will have something about them soon!
That's right, unless as Billy notes the writing is offensive or objectionable.

We have girls in this area who wear the Dr. Seuss socks.
Old Tue Nov 18, 2008, 11:12pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Found It, Now Where Are My Keys ???

1996-97 NFHS Basketball Rule Book, page 70, Points of Emphasis: Permanent tattoos pose problems if they are objectionable for one reason or another. School administrators and/or coaches have an obligation to have objectionable markings of a permanent type covered. It is not in the best interest of the game to have officials placed in a position where from game to game they must rule on what is objectionable. Obviously, officials can and will make these decisions when outright vulgarity or obsenity is involved or when such markings violate sportmanship and/or taunting or baiting regulations.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Nov 19, 2008, 12:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sihoops2 View Post
And just how do you determine that every player is wearing the same color undergarments?
Old Wed Nov 19, 2008, 07:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
And just how do you determine that every player is wearing the same color undergarments?
BITS, if you don't know by now...
Old Wed Nov 19, 2008, 09:23am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
I'm not sure. But I was talking with a high school track official last night, and he said that a couple years ago, there was a directive (from the NFHS or the state? I don't know.) that officials were to ensure that ALL undergarments were of a legal color. He said that lasted about an hour into the first meeting.
Old Wed Nov 19, 2008, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Only in soccer.
Old Wed Nov 19, 2008, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
At a girls Varsity scrimmage had a partner who tried to go down the path of matching bra straps. He thought that they needed to match the torso ,I very gently steered him away from a bra check.
Old Wed Nov 19, 2008, 10:26am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref View Post
At a girls Varsity scrimmage had a partner who tried to go down the path of matching bra straps. He thought that they needed to match the torso ,I very gently steered him away from a bra check.
Very, very good idea to get him down a different path.
Old Wed Nov 19, 2008, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to sihoops2
Quote:
As other guys have said you don't go check but if teams come out with 2 boys wearing a white undershirt and 4 wearing green and another 1 wearing black then it's pretty easy to tell. Don't look for it but if its obivious take care of it is how I look at it.