The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Socks? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/49934-socks.html)

sihoops2 Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:11am

Socks?

Are socks considered an undergarment and every player has to wear the same color?

MOofficial Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:37am

No, there is nothing in the rules that involves socks, give it time though!

tjones1 Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:49am

Oh brother...

Quote:

Originally Posted by sihoops2 (Post 551409)
Are socks considered an undergarment and every player has to wear the same color?

3-5-6

If they were considered an undergarment, they would be illegal because they extend below the pants/skirt. Therefore, the color wouldn't matter.

Nevadaref Tue Nov 18, 2008 01:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOofficial (Post 551415)
No, there is nothing in the rules that involves socks, give it time though!

It's in the Case Book.

UNIFORMS — LOGO..
3.6.1 SITUATION:
A6 enters the game with an excessive manufacturer’s or school’s logo on his/her: (a) socks; or (b) wristbands. RULING: Legal in (a). In (b), A6 may not participate and is directed to return to the bench until legally equipped. COMMENT: The restriction on visible manufacturer’s or school’s logo size is in effect on pants/skirts, compression shorts, wristbands and headbands. The shoes and socks are not considered part of the uniform for purpose of visible logo size.

jritchie Tue Nov 18, 2008 09:29am

So they can come out with anything they want too written on their socks and no matter what color they are or how stupid they look we can't say anything at all, pitiful! I'm like MOofficial though, just give it time, they will have something about them soon! :)

BillyMac Tue Nov 18, 2008 09:39pm

The NFHS Ruled On Tattoos, Why Not Socks ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by jritchie (Post 551454)
So they can come out with anything they want too written on their socks and no matter what color they are or how stupid they look we can't say anything at all.

Several years ago the NFHS came out with a rulings about "offensive" tattoos. I'm sure that if a team came out with socks with vulgar, or in some other way, offensive (racial, sexual orientation, ethnicity, religion, etc.), writing on them, that we could find some NFHS rule, or interpretation, to apply and penalize.

Nevadaref Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jritchie (Post 551454)
So they can come out with anything they want too written on their socks and no matter what color they are or how stupid they look we can't say anything at all, pitiful! I'm like MOofficial though, just give it time, they will have something about them soon! :)

That's right, unless as Billy notes the writing is offensive or objectionable.

We have girls in this area who wear the Dr. Seuss socks. :D

BillyMac Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:12pm

Found It, Now Where Are My Keys ???

1996-97 NFHS Basketball Rule Book, page 70, Points of Emphasis: Permanent tattoos pose problems if they are objectionable for one reason or another. School administrators and/or coaches have an obligation to have objectionable markings of a permanent type covered. It is not in the best interest of the game to have officials placed in a position where from game to game they must rule on what is objectionable. Obviously, officials can and will make these decisions when outright vulgarity or obsenity is involved or when such markings violate sportmanship and/or taunting or baiting regulations.

Back In The Saddle Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by sihoops2 (Post 551409)

And just how do you determine that every player is wearing the same color undergarments? ;)

mbyron Wed Nov 19, 2008 07:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle (Post 551598)
And just how do you determine that every player is wearing the same color undergarments? ;)

BITS, if you don't know by now... :D

Scrapper1 Wed Nov 19, 2008 09:23am

Quote:

I'm not sure. But I was talking with a high school track official last night, and he said that a couple years ago, there was a directive (from the NFHS or the state? I don't know.) that officials were to ensure that ALL undergarments were of a legal color. He said that lasted about an hour into the first meeting. :D

CoachP Wed Nov 19, 2008 09:58am

Quote:

Only in soccer.

Chess Ref Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:02am

Quote:

At a girls Varsity scrimmage had a partner who tried to go down the path of matching bra straps. He thought that they needed to match the torso ,I very gently steered him away from a bra check.:eek:

tjones1 Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chess Ref (Post 551635)
At a girls Varsity scrimmage had a partner who tried to go down the path of matching bra straps. He thought that they needed to match the torso ,I very gently steered him away from a bra check.:eek:

Very, very good idea to get him down a different path. :p

sihoops2 Wed Nov 19, 2008 03:28pm

Quote:

As other guys have said you don't go check but if teams come out with 2 boys wearing a white undershirt and 4 wearing green and another 1 wearing black then it's pretty easy to tell. Don't look for it but if its obivious take care of it is how I look at it.