The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 18, 2008, 12:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishopcolle View Post
Sorry, everyone, but does this apply only to GA? Nevadaref? This contradicts your statement. I understand from your statement that the GA rule is not the current accepted NFHS practice, so I can ignore this application. The 3 spots are available to the offensive team, if the defense doesnt want them?

Thanks for the clarifications....
Georgia seems to be doing something different from the rest of the NFHS states. What I have told you is correct if your state follows the normal NFHS rules.
Old Tue Nov 18, 2008, 12:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULK1 View Post
This is the slide verbatum from the GA officials clinic this was a NFHS slide.

Free Throws 8-1-4b - e
1. During the administration of free throws that require teams along the lane lines, all players will be moved up one space from the end line with the two spaces below the “block” being vacant.
2. The two lane spaces above the “blocks” must be occupied by the opponent of the free-thrower.
3. The next two lane spaces are *designated for teammates of the free- thrower.
4. The two lane spaces nearest the free-thrower are *designated for the opponent.
5. The *designated lane spaces may, or may not, be occupied, but can only be occupied by members of the *designated team.
6. Do NOT allow an opponent of the free-thrower to cross the free throw line and make contact with the free-thrower prior to the ball contacting the rim.

Ga was one of the states that experimented with this rule for the Fed last year.
Sounds as if GA is using the NCAAW rules as previously mentioned by cford. Point #6 in particular makes me believe that the NCAAW rules are in force as under NFHS rules the opponent would violate as soon as he crossed the FT lane line. Contacting the thrower is not even a concern under NFHS rules, but for NCAAW the player may enter the lane upon the release of the try and thus contact with the thrower must be carefully observed.
Old Tue Nov 18, 2008, 12:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Georgia seems to be doing something different from the rest of the NFHS states. What I have told you is correct if your state follows the normal NFHS rules.
Thank you, sir....case closed.....Bishopcolle
Old Tue Nov 18, 2008, 12:43am
M.A.S.H.

Yes, if they wanted to they could. I'm not sure why they would. But they are permitted to under 8-1-4f under NFHS.
Old Tue Nov 18, 2008, 07:41am
Esteemed Forum Member

Maybe The "B" Does Stand For Blind ???

NFHS rules now refer to the bottom space, occupied by defenders, as the first lane space, and the rules now refer to the area below that first marked lane space as the vacant area. Yet, the IAABO manual, refers to the bottom space, occupied by defenders, as the second lane space, with the same wording on the IAABO Refresher Exam. Good grief.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)