The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 16, 2008, 06:57pm
Official Forum Member

Help with question?

Here in Washington we take the test online. Before the test is submitted, we are given the option to have our test printed out. It's supposed to print it out with our answers. However, for some reason mine did not.

After it is submitted it tells you what questions you missed. I have gone over the ones it said I missed and have found what I misread or overlooked in every case but one. I don't know what I answered but it says I missed it.

Here's the question:

It is a violation if A1 jumps to try for a goal, but realizing it will be blocked, drops the ball to the floor and starts a dribble.

Casebook 4.44.3 Situation B says: A1 receives the ball with both feet off the floor and he/she lands simultaneouly o both feet without establishing a pivot foot. A1 then jumps off both feet in an attempt to try for goal, but realizing the shot may be blocked, A1 drops the ball to the floor and dribbles. RULING: A1 has traveled as one foot must be considered to be the pivot and must be on the floor when the ball is released to start a dribble. The fact that no pivot foot had been established does not alter this ruling.

Again I don't know what my actual answer was. By this casebook I would say it was true and I know I had it in mind when I answered the question.

Anyone know? Did I miss something else?

Rita
Old Sun Nov 16, 2008, 07:31pm
Esteemed Participant

I took the same test and the answer is True - it is a violation to do that. The dribble must be started before the pivot foot is lifted off the floor.
Old Sun Nov 16, 2008, 07:31pm
Official Forum Member

Well, the answer to the test question is true. It is a violation. It would appear that you answered false on the test.

Am I missing something?
Old Sun Nov 16, 2008, 07:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
Well, the answer to the test question is true. It is a violation. It would appear that you answered false on the test.

Am I missing something?
No, I must have accidently clicked on false. I just wanted to be sure I just screwed up.

Rita
Old Sun Nov 16, 2008, 08:48pm
Official Forum Member

Don't you hate it when you click it wrong!!!!! Ours gives you a chance to review each page and then to review all of the answers on one page before submitting. Does your state not do that?
Old Sun Nov 16, 2008, 09:54pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Who You Gonna Call ? Mythbusters ...

The shooter can retrieve his or her own airball, if the referee considers it to be a shot attempt. The release ends team control. It is not a violation for that player to start another dribble at that point. When an airborne player keeps control of an attempted shot that is blocked and is unable to release the ball and returns to the floor with it, that player has not traveled; it is a held ball. If, in this situation, the shooter releases the ball, then this is simply a blocked shot and play continues. When an airborne player tries for goal, sees that the try will be blocked, purposely drops the ball, and picks up the ball after it hits the floor, that player has traveled by starting a dribble with the pivot foot off the floor, whether, or not, the defensive player touches the ball in the block attempt.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Nov 16, 2008, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C View Post
Here's the question:

It is a violation if A1 jumps to try for a goal, but realizing it will be blocked, drops the ball to the floor and starts a dribble.
True, 4-44-3c per the NFHS Part 1 answer key.
Old Sun Nov 16, 2008, 11:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev View Post
Don't you hate it when you click it wrong!!!!! Ours gives you a chance to review each page and then to review all of the answers on one page before submitting. Does your state not do that?
Yes it does. But somehow I just missed that one.

Rita