The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Aug 28, 2004, 02:29pm
Do not give a damn!!

how did your games go?

My game was a 21-20 win for the home team.

The home team scored a TD with :58 left in the game which had them up 21-14. The visiting team took back the kick off to the home team's 20 yard line. Then they run a screen pass to the right side and the RB just would not go down and gets the ball just inside the 5 yard line. This was home of the most amazing runs I have ever seen. He broke at least 5 good tackles and made about 5 others miss. Great run.

Then on an incomplete pass I call a roughing the passer penalty on a defender that dove at the QB's legs and contacted him below the knee. The ball was long gone and was an easy call. We move the ball up half the distance on the next play. They ran a QB sneak and got in. It gets better, they go for two. They ran the ball to the kid that just made the amazing run I talked about. On the run he did not make it to the end zone by about a half of a yard. It was resonate of the Super Bowl game with the Rams and Titans a few years ago. There was still about 20 seconds or so on the clock. They tried an onside kick and fail to recover the ball. Game over.

It was also a very hot night and we had to take many water breaks over the course of the game. This had to be one of the most humid games I have worked in recent history. We had a few kids stop the game because of cramps. It was brutal. Our crew worked well together and we had little or not major mistakes. I do not know the final number, but we had probably 25 or more penalties. We had everything from a hit after an awarded fair catch on a kick off to several illegal motion penalties on both sides.

Great game and I had a lot of fun. That is why we are here.

Peace
Old Sat Aug 28, 2004, 05:17pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
how did your games go?

My game was a 21-20 win for the home team.

The home team scored a TD with :58 left in the game which had them up 21-14. The visiting team took back the kick off to the home team's 20 yard line. Then they run a screen pass to the right side and the RB just would not go down and gets the ball just inside the 5 yard line. This was home of the most amazing runs I have ever seen. He broke at least 5 good tackles and made about 5 others miss. Great run.

Then on an incomplete pass I call a roughing the passer penalty on a defender that dove at the QB's legs and contacted him below the knee. The ball was long gone and was an easy call. We move the ball up half the distance on the next play. They ran a QB sneak and got in. It gets better, they go for two. They ran the ball to the kid that just made the amazing run I talked about. On the run he did not make it to the end zone by about a half of a yard. It was resonate of the Super Bowl game with the Rams and Titans a few years ago. There was still about 20 seconds or so on the clock. They tried an onside kick and fail to recover the ball. Game over.

It was also a very hot night and we had to take many water breaks over the course of the game. This had to be one of the most humid games I have worked in recent history. We had a few kids stop the game because of cramps. It was brutal. Our crew worked well together and we had little or not major mistakes. I do not know the final number, but we had probably 25 or more penalties. We had everything from a hit after an awarded fair catch on a kick off to several illegal motion penalties on both sides.

Great game and I had a lot of fun. That is why we are here.

Peace
I was in IL last night working a game between 2 7A schools.

Visiting team plays with a 5 receiver set with the QB lined up 8 yards deep in a scrimmage kick formation. Except that's what the coach said and I noticed that most of the game the QB was only about 6 yards deep.

LH quarterback, which was strange for this R.

Hot, hot, hot. Lots of cramps, and we had water out every chance we could.

I have some stats for the varsity game:

The visiting QB was 22-for-34 for 267 yards passing with 2 TDs and 1 INT. Â*In the first half.

It was 20-20 at halftime.

In the second half he threw four interceptions, two returned for TDs. Â*Final score 48-20, home team. Â*Final passing yards for visitors — 317. Â*Some adjustments were made.

The sophomore game was played the same way by the visiting team. 36-36 final. The clock failed during the sophomore game and we kept time on the field for the first quarter.

These were the two longest games I ever worked. We started the soph game on time at 5:30 and walked off the field at 11:40PM.

After stopping for a few pops, I dropped the three local guys from my crew off and walked in the door at 4:15AM. Slept from 5AM until about 2 this afternoon.

Some minor problems, mostly related to the fact that we were working together for maybe the 3rd or 4th time as a crew, but we certainly didn't affect the game. And I was impressed with the crew handling such a passing attack so well.

We had 4-5 defensive pass interference flags and I had a bunch of flags myself in the second half — holding, block in the back, 5-yard face mask, illegal formation (24 played guard when the visiting team failed to execute a substitution properly and they were NOT in a scrimmage kick formation), 2 personal fouls after plays, plus one personal foul for a roughing the passer.

Next week I stay in WI and work two teams that will (likely) primarily run the football. And I only have a varsity game on Friday, not a DH.

--Rich
Old Sat Aug 28, 2004, 07:23pm
Do not give a damn!!

Rich,

Sounds like you had some fun too.

I just know I did not realize how much I missed it until last night.

Peace
Old Sat Aug 28, 2004, 07:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigGref
Wow! I don't think I can sum up the totally crazy night last night, I'll attach the article, but basically it was a long game (start 7pm end 11:40 pm)with lightening delay, multiple timing delays because the timer Lost his sight in the middle of the game or something. We had different people in different positions (someone missing), and 1 guy who got married last week 4,000 miles away. Add in a big county rivalry, a lot of close calls, a dredded Inadvertant whistle, and the constant possibility that White Castle would be the only place open after the game, and you have one crazy night!
All for 50 bucks!
----------------
The Plainfield High School football team was seemingly in control on Friday night.

But a bizarre marathon game, marked by a 90-minute lightning delay, slipped through the QuakersÂ’ hands.

The BulldogsÂ’ Mark Titus hooked up with Elgin DeJean for a 45-yard touchdown pass with 1:44 to go to lift Brownsburg to a 21-18 victory. A Brownsburg excessive celebration penalty made it a 35-yard extra-point try, but Seth Fair made it.

Plainfield had one more chance when a long kickoff return by Craig Ray put the ball on the QuakersÂ’ 48. A Brownsburg interception killed the QuakersÂ’ chances with eight seconds left.

The Bulldogs improved to 2-0 while Plainfield fell to 0-2.

Tyran Fakes caught a 97-yard touchdown pass with 7:55 left in the third quarter to give the Quakers a 16-7 lead. Fakes caught it at his own 30.

The Bulldogs closed the deficit to 16-14 with 7:43 left in the fourth quarter on a 14-yard touchdown pass from Titus to Kyle Waggoner.

On BrownsburgÂ’s next possession, PlainfieldÂ’s Nick Riddle intercepted Titus on a third-and-21 play from their own 4. RiddleÂ’s interception gave Plainfield the ball at the 5-yard line, but Plainfield went backward.

On fourth down from the 9, Brownsburg was called for pass interference, giving Plainfield first down at the 4-yard line. On fourth-and-3, a QuakersÂ’ pass fell incomplete andt Brownsburg took over with 3:04 left. On first down, Titus was tackled for a safety, giving Plainfield an 18-14 lead.

Brownsburg recovered an on-side kick and eventually scored.

With 9:22 left in the second quarter, the game was delayed about 90 minutes when officials spotted lightning from the north.

When play resumed, Plainfield took a 9-7 lead when Jacob Hogue kicked a 35-yard field goal.

In the third quarter, a 55-yard punt return by the BulldogsÂ’ DeJean was nullified by a block in the back penalty. That gave the BulldogsÂ’ first down on their own 44. On third-and-7 from the Plainfield 42, the drive ended when Titus was intercepted at the 3. On the next play, Williams and Fakes hooked up for the 97-yard TD.
Old Sat Aug 28, 2004, 08:11pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Sounds like you had the same kind of night we did BigGref. We were at North Montgomery vs. Frankfort. Had good back and forth game going until 3:58 in the first quarter. Then just like you, we sat around for 90 minutes for lightning. Finally got the game in though. Great game. Nothmont got up 29-14 early in the fourth. Frankfort came back and scored with a minute to go. Went for two and missed by about a foot. Onside kick went 3 yards and no one touched it. I was asked to help out tonight at Clinton Central and I said no. Weather in Lafayette isn't much better than last night. That and they wanted me on Clinton Central's side. I can't stand thier coach.

Hey Rut...25 penalties? Sounds like a crew problem. Might want to fix that.
Old Sat Aug 28, 2004, 08:32pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Axe Man
Hey Rut...25 penalties? Sounds like a crew problem. Might want to fix that.
It seemed like 25. My back judge will give me the break down sometime this week. I just know there were a lot of them. I hardly threw any of them. I had the first penalties of the season which was a hold. We had about 1 IP, about 4 IS (on the defense). Around 6 illegal shifts or motions. I called one roughing the passer, one running into the kicker. About 5 false starts, 5 encroachments, one personal foul (dead ball). I'm sure some other fouls I cannot remember were called. It was a sloppy game at times. You could tell it was the first game of the season for both teams.

Peace
Old Sat Aug 28, 2004, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

BigGref, in what state was that game played? I'm from a Plainfield, but doubt it's that one.
Old Sat Aug 28, 2004, 11:52pm
Official Forum Member

My game was between teams from different states. Bainbridge (GA) and Northview (AL). The team from AL was riding on a 34 game losing streak. They have a new coach who has only been there one month. Our crew thought this would probably be a blowout. Well, for 3 and 1/2 quarters we were wrong. Both teams worked up and down the field between the 20s but could not score. Three MFGs. Finally, the Northview team ran out of gas. There was a turnover and it seemed to take their heart out of the game. Game ended up 20 - 0 for Bainbridge. Conditioning seem to be the biggest problem for Northview. A lot of hard hitting and fumbles by both teams. I believe somewhere down the road this year that Northview will snap the losing streak. We had 15 penalties of which 8 were in the 4th quarter when things got sloppy.
Old Sun Aug 29, 2004, 07:14pm
Official Forum Member

Wink 6 Team Jamboree

Game time 5:00, Vidalia, LA, temp 95*F, humidity 87%, no wind, no clouds. Six teams, all rivals, one broken ankle, one busted knee, two separated shoulders, 3 bleeding players removed, a free-for-all fight outside the fence, the 25-second clock quit, followed shortly thereafted by the stadium clock, one school who just got the word last Friday that they were going to keep the school open, coaches all over the field, and flags, flags, flags. It looked like a Mardi Gras parade out there.

Then it started to rain.

We left the stadium at 10:45 pm, and had to drive 1 1/2 hours to back get home to Alexandria, LA. All we got was mileage for the drivers, the association got the rest.

And we do it all for the kids. I wouldn't have it any other way. It's a great time of the year.
Alexandria, LA
Louisiana NG
Old Sun Aug 29, 2004, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigGref
Football in the Hoosier heartland, Indiana!

Good luck next week everyone!
Old Mon Aug 30, 2004, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

Our game got started at 7:20. With 1:47 left in the first quarter, mother nature decided the we all need a 1 hour and 40 minute break because of lighting. Great game with the home team winning 37 to 20. Not a lot of flags. Just called the obvious. Game got over at 11:15.
Old Mon Aug 30, 2004, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

It was my first game "under the bright lights". I worked as LJ in the Plaquemines Parish Jamboree. We had three games and two crews, so our crew worked the first game and the first half of the second game.

Of course I was nervous since I'd never worked varsity before - and what do you know, the game was tied at six with four seconds left and it was second and goal from the four yard line. QB rolled out to the right looking to pass - he eventually tucked the ball and started to run. There were two defenders between him and the goal line and I really didn't think he would make it. He ran past/through one defender and the other defender hit him and knocked him out right at the pileon (sp?). Being that I had to evade players, there was a delay before I could give my signal which made it out to be dramatic.

I got to my spot and threw my hands up in the air - TOUCHDOWN!! Final score 12-6. What an indoctrination! Gotta love High School football.

Old Mon Aug 30, 2004, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

REPLY: I'm jealous...only had two scrimmages this weekend! Hot & humid...