Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 08, 2008, 12:14pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Snaq: you've used it twice in this thread. The word is 'rapport'.
And the "t" is silent, just like the two "t's" in "Colbert Report".
Old Sat Nov 08, 2008, 12:19pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Snaq: you've used it twice in this thread. The word is 'rapport'.
Thanks, I knew it didn't look right.
Old Sat Nov 08, 2008, 12:20pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
And the "t" is silent, just like the two "t's" in "Colbert Report".
That's funny, just like the comedy is silent.
Old Sat Nov 08, 2008, 02:14pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Who You Gonna Call ? Mythbusters ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitEmCold View Post
The official said an inbounding player cannot cross the plane of the base line or sidelines when inbounding the ball. From my results in looking up this rule, the inbounding player does not have plane restrictions, these restriction apply to the defense. He made this call four times, we were struggling with the press be applied by the defense and the official making the wrong call.
A player inbounding the ball may step on, but not over the line. During a designated spot throwin, the player inbounding the ball must keep one foot on or over the three-foot wide designated spot. An inbounding player is allowed to jump or move one or both feet. A player inbounding the ball may move backward as far as the five-second time limit or space allows. If player moves outside the three-foot wide designated spot it is a violation, not travelling. In gymnasiums with limited space outside the sidelines and endlines, a defensive player may be asked to step back no more than three feet. A player inbounding the ball may bounce the ball on the out-of-bounds area prior to making a throwin. After a goal, or awarded goal, the team not credited with the score shall make the throw-in from any point outside the end line. A team retains this “run the endline” privilege if a timeout is called during the dead ball period after the goal. Any player of the team may make a direct throw-in or may pass the ball along the end line to a teammate outside the boundary line.

The defender may not break the imaginary plane during a throwin until the ball has been released on a throw-in pass. If the defender breaks the imaginary plane during a throwin before the ball has been released on a throw-in pass, the defender’s team will receive a team warning, or if the team has already been warned for one of the four delay situations, this action would result in a team technical foul. If the defender contacts the ball after breaking the imaginary plane, it is a player technical foul and a team warning will be recorded. If the defender fouls the inbounding player after breaking the imaginary plane, it is an intentional personal foul, and a team warning will be recorded.

The inbounding player does not have a plane restriction, but has five seconds to release the ball and it must come directly onto the court. The ball can always be passed into the backcourt during a throwin. This situation is not a backcourt violation.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Nov 09, 2008, 06:10pm
Official Forum Member

Today I approached the official who made this call. My timing could have been better, it was about five minutes before our game started when I noticed he was there to work our game. I truly did my best to bring the subject up in a friendly, non attacking way. I simply told him I went home and looked up the rule, and the inbounding player does not have a plane restriction. His reply was, "O.K., I will be sure to call you out on every mistake you make coaching today." I told him I thought he might respond like that, but I wasn't trying to disrespect him, and didn't know any other way to bring it up. I let him know I do respect him for being a great baseball coach( he coached my son), and all he does for youth sports in our community.

He actually called a decent game, was fair, and never called the inbounding player for breaking the plane.
Old Sun Nov 09, 2008, 06:28pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

He was kind of an a$$ in how he responded.
Old Mon Nov 10, 2008, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
He was kind of an a$$ in how he responded.
Yep. Which, IMHO, usually indicates either an ego of epic proportions, or significant insecurity, and sometimes the one is just a cover for the other. Hopefully he looked it up himself after the game.
Old Mon Nov 10, 2008, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitEmCold View Post
I have been reading this forum and it helps me, as a coach, see the game the way an official does. I do have a question related to this topic, How should a coach handle a situation when an official makes a call and gives an explanation, but is wrong on the ruling? What is appropriate during the game? After the game? Should the official be made aware of the rule?

Curious to see what yall think.
If you believe that the officials aere getting a rule wrong, you need to let them know that. If I was coaching, I would tell them nicely that I think they are getting the rule wrong. I would then ask the supervisor of officials after the game about it. By telling the officials they got the rule wrong, you give them the opportunity to get together and fix it. By going to the supervisor after the game if you still believe they are wrong, you get conformation that they are correct, or the officials will be penalized for not getting it right. Most importantly, if the officials did get the rule wrong, and did not get it fixed when you pointed it out, they'll never forget it or get it wrong again the the future. That's in everyone's best interest.

None of this needs to be heated. It happens.