The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 18, 2005, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

in my travels this season I have had the worst problems dealing not with head coaches, but with the assistants (who are usually the 1st and 3d base coaches when their team is at bat) sniping about the strike zone, general umpire incompetence , etc. How best to deal with this?

Using Tee's maxim that asst coaches do not exist, should the head coach be warned instead (to control his employee), or should the AC be warned directly, before they are given the boot? Any other helpful tips on managing these pests?
Old Mon Apr 18, 2005, 09:30am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by LMan
in my travels this season I have had the worst problems dealing not with head coaches, but with the assistants (who are usually the 1st and 3d base coaches when their team is at bat) sniping about the strike zone, general umpire incompetence , etc. How best to deal with this?

Using Tee's maxim that asst coaches do not exist, should the head coach be warned instead (to control his employee), or should the AC be warned directly, before they are given the boot? Any other helpful tips on managing these pests?
I'd talk to the head coach and tell him to get his assistant under control. That would be about the only courtesy I'd extend at that point. After that, the assistants really would cease to exist.

Again, there is a bit of literary license in the "assistant coaches do not exist" mantra. I'm polite to them, I'll talk to them, I'll even discuss the occasional thing with them. But I won't argue with them or get into a long-term discussion with them. And they will get sent away much, much quicker than a head coach would.
Official Forum Member

" . . . should the head coach be warned . . ."

Don't know if you call it a warning but I tell the head guy, "there's some noise coming from one of your guys that I don't want to hear anymore . . . "

If the head coach asks for more information I tell him the location of the offender.

Official Forum Member

Sniping about the strike zone?!?!? Buh-bye, coach.

General incompetence? What --- did they complain that you don't even know when to eject an *** coach?

I (and most I work with) don't take ANY flack from an ***-coach. None, zero, nada.
Old Mon Apr 18, 2005, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

I HAD THE EXACT SITUATION YOU ARE TALIKNG ABOUT 1st BASE COACH WAS COMPLAINING AT START. HIS PITCHER COULD NOT FIND THE STRIKE ZONE THE WERE DOWN 5 RUNS. AFTER THE END OF THE INNING HE SAID MY STRIKE ZONE WAS LIKE THE MAJOR LEAGUES AND I SHOULD REMEMBER THAT THIS IS HS. I TALK TO THE HEAD COACH TOLD HIM ABOUT HIS ASST. COACH. ONLY WARNING HE WAS GOING TO GET. TOP OF SECOND INNING HIS BATTER COMES UP TO THE PLATE I RUNG HIM UP ON STRIKE THREE ON OUTSIDE CORNER. WELL HE WAS LIVID JUMPING UP AND DOWN SCREAMING THAT IT WAS OUTSIDE.

I CALLED TIME LOOKED AT HIM GAVE HIM THE HEAVE HO. THE VARSITY COACH THANKED ME AND SAID HE DOESNT KNOW WHY MORE UMPIRES DONT DO THAT. HE HAS BEEN THAT WAY ALL YEAR THAT WAS THE FIRST TIME HE WAS TOSSED. DONT BE AFRAID TO TOSS A COACH ONCE YOU GAVE A WARNING IF YOU WANT TO GIVE ONE.

I HOPE THIS HELPS IT SURE DID WONDERS FOR MY GAME. THERE STARTING PITCHER SETTLED DOWN AND IT ENDED UP 5-4 FINAL.
Old Mon Apr 18, 2005, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

The caps lock key may be located on the left side of your keyboard, near the middle. Thank you.

Umpire - you probably should have tossed him (or at LEAST given him a VERY early, "That's enough coach" during the 1st inning complaining. But if not then, SURELY he warranted his early exit the moment he gave you strike-zone advice.
Old Mon Apr 18, 2005, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation Toss 'em all

Why should we even have assistant coaches? Let's not give the kids an extra guy to help them with their game. Let's have all coaches run the team entirely alone.

Toss the assistants as soon as they step out of the dugout to go coach a base.
Old Mon Apr 18, 2005, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

hey, I like that idea! Done!
Old Mon Apr 18, 2005, 02:30pm
Do not give a damn!!

I do not speak to assistants during arguments. I might talk to them if they have a legitimate question and approach with the proper attitude. Assistant coaches are to be seen and not heard in most situations. I will even make it very clear so everyone can hear me that I am not going to talk to the assistant.

Peace
Old Mon Apr 18, 2005, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Me to the HC: Coach, it's bad enough I have to deal with you (with a smile), but I'm not going to deal with your assistant. Either you control him/her or I'm going to!

This happened this weekend. Can I get your thoughts on how I handled this?

I am PU in first game of the season, 13-15 yr. olds.

Top of 1st, HC is coaching 3rd. In bottom half coach starts to comment on a couple of pitches from the dugout. I let it go figuring I will get him when he come to coach 3rd the next half of the inning. Well, inning over and here comes HC on his way to coach 3rd and I say, where only he can hear:

Me: Coach, I hear ya over there commenting on ball/strikes.

Coach: I hope you hear me.(as he points to his ear)

Me: Yeh I hear ya, but I don't want to hear it again!

It seemed to work because my partner and I didn't hear a word out of him for that game or the next. They played a double header.