The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 01, 2008, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Question

A–1 from behind the 3-point arc attempts a diagonal pass to a teammate in the corner. B–1 deflects the pass which enters the basket.

Official awards team A 3 points. Is the official correct?

The correct answer is no. I can't figure out why the answer is no though. Does anyone know?
Old Sat Nov 01, 2008, 02:55pm
We don't rent pigs

Who said the correct answer is no?

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Nov 01, 2008, 02:55pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Only a try counts as three when deflected. If A1's pass went directly into the basket, it would be three points.
Old Sat Nov 01, 2008, 03:01pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaqwells View Post
only a try counts as three when deflected. If a1's pass went directly into the basket, it would be three points.

5-2-1

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Nov 01, 2008, 03:02pm
We don't rent pigs

5.2.1 C a

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Nov 01, 2008, 06:36pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Two, Or Three ???

5.2.1 Situation C: A1 throws the ball from behind the three-point line. The ball is legally touched by: (a) B1 who is in the three-point area; (b) B1 who is in the two-point area; (c) A2 who is in the three-point area; or (d) A2 who is in the two-point area. The ball continues in flight and goes through A's basket. Ruling: In (a) and (b), three points are scored since the legal touching was by the defense and the ball was thrown from behind the three-point line. In (c), score three points since the legal touch by a teammate occurred behind the three-point line. In (d), score two points since the legal touch by a teammate occurred in the two-point area.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Nov 01, 2008, 10:22pm
Official Forum Member

Yeah I got this "wrong", but I think my wrong answer was actually right. If the opposing team touches the ball, it is still a 3.
Old Sat Nov 01, 2008, 11:34pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I didn't have the book, I was trying to come up with a reason for an answer that seemed to already be given. Not the first time I've been wrong, and it won't be the last.
Old Sun Nov 02, 2008, 08:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs8207 View Post
A–1 from behind the 3-point arc attempts a diagonal pass to a teammate in the corner. B–1 deflects the pass which enters the basket.

Official awards team A 3 points. Is the official correct?

The correct answer is no. I can't figure out why the answer is no though. Does anyone know?
When was the question first written? I think this answer may have "changed" (or there was a clarification / interp from FED) about 4 years ago.
Old Sun Nov 02, 2008, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
When was the question first written? I think this answer may have "changed" (or there was a clarification / interp from FED) about 4 years ago.
I think it was last year. I've emailed one of our upper level board members to see if the answer key has any misprints.
Old Sun Nov 02, 2008, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

I thought "A" players were on defense, this could be a press situation and it is not "A's" basket, the OP doesn't say it is a try.
Old Sun Nov 02, 2008, 11:17am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudwhistle View Post
I thought "A" players were on defense, this could be a press situation and it is not "A's" basket, the OP doesn't say it is a try.
The standard is that A is offense, and B is defense. Also, it says A1 attempts a pass, that puts them on offense. The ball is released from behind A1'a arc.

The point of the question is that it doesn't matter whether or not it's a try.
Old Sun Nov 02, 2008, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
The standard is that A is offense, and B is defense. Also, it says A1 attempts a pass, that puts them on offense. The ball is released from behind A1'a arc.

The point of the question is that it doesn't matter whether or not it's a try.
But it does matter if the ball has a chance to enter the basket from the throw. If A1 throws the ball from halfcourt and it hits B1 in the head, while he is standing under the basket, then bounces up and enters the basket from above, there is no way that three points should be scored.

The intent and purpose of the thrown ball/try rule for 3 points must be understood and applied correctly.
Old Sun Nov 02, 2008, 08:57pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
But it does matter if the ball has a chance to enter the basket from the throw. If A1 throws the ball from halfcourt and it hits B1 in the head, while he is standing under the basket, then bounces up and enters the basket from above, there is no way that three points should be scored.
You mean beside the fact that the actual rule says that 3 points should be scored?

Quote:
The intent and purpose of the thrown ball/try rule for 3 points must be understood and applied correctly.
And the rule should be written (or re-written) correctly.
Old Sun Nov 02, 2008, 09:03pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Two, Or Three ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
If A1 throws the ball from halfcourt and it hits B1 in the head, while he is standing under the basket, then bounces up and enters the basket from above, there is no way that three points should be scored.
5.2.1 Situation C: A1 throws the ball from behind the three-point line. The ball is legally touched by (b) B1 who is in the two-point area; The ball continues in flight and goes through A's basket. Ruling: In (b), three points are scored since the legal touching was by the defense and the ball was thrown from behind the three-point line.

I'm confused ??? I know that in the Nevadaref case, the basket would not count if the horn were to sound before the ball went in the basket, because the try ends when it is certain the throw is unsuccessful, in this case by hitting B1 in the head, but I'm not sure that in Nevadaref case that the end of a try means that two points are scored instead of three?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Nov 02, 2008 at 09:31pm.