The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Question (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/49668-question.html)

ajs8207 Sat Nov 01, 2008 02:43pm

Question

A–1 from behind the 3-point arc attempts a diagonal pass to a teammate in the corner. B–1 deflects the pass which enters the basket.

Official awards team A 3 points. Is the official correct?

The correct answer is no. I can't figure out why the answer is no though. Does anyone know?

just another ref Sat Nov 01, 2008 02:55pm

Who said the correct answer is no?

Adam Sat Nov 01, 2008 02:55pm

Only a try counts as three when deflected. If A1's pass went directly into the basket, it would be three points.

just another ref Sat Nov 01, 2008 03:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by snaqwells (Post 547939)
only a try counts as three when deflected. If a1's pass went directly into the basket, it would be three points.

5-2-1

just another ref Sat Nov 01, 2008 03:02pm

5.2.1 C a

BillyMac Sat Nov 01, 2008 06:36pm

Two, Or Three ???

5.2.1 Situation C: A1 throws the ball from behind the three-point line. The ball is legally touched by: (a) B1 who is in the three-point area; (b) B1 who is in the two-point area; (c) A2 who is in the three-point area; or (d) A2 who is in the two-point area. The ball continues in flight and goes through A's basket. Ruling: In (a) and (b), three points are scored since the legal touching was by the defense and the ball was thrown from behind the three-point line. In (c), score three points since the legal touch by a teammate occurred behind the three-point line. In (d), score two points since the legal touch by a teammate occurred in the two-point area.

ajs8207 Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:22pm

Yeah I got this "wrong", but I think my wrong answer was actually right. If the opposing team touches the ball, it is still a 3.

Adam Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:34pm

I didn't have the book, I was trying to come up with a reason for an answer that seemed to already be given. Not the first time I've been wrong, and it won't be the last.

bob jenkins Sun Nov 02, 2008 08:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajs8207 (Post 547937)
A–1 from behind the 3-point arc attempts a diagonal pass to a teammate in the corner. B–1 deflects the pass which enters the basket.

Official awards team A 3 points. Is the official correct?

The correct answer is no. I can't figure out why the answer is no though. Does anyone know?

When was the question first written? I think this answer may have "changed" (or there was a clarification / interp from FED) about 4 years ago.

ajs8207 Sun Nov 02, 2008 09:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 548014)
When was the question first written? I think this answer may have "changed" (or there was a clarification / interp from FED) about 4 years ago.

I think it was last year. I've emailed one of our upper level board members to see if the answer key has any misprints.

Loudwhistle Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:11am

I thought "A" players were on defense, this could be a press situation and it is not "A's" basket, the OP doesn't say it is a try.

Adam Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loudwhistle (Post 548031)
I thought "A" players were on defense, this could be a press situation and it is not "A's" basket, the OP doesn't say it is a try.

The standard is that A is offense, and B is defense. Also, it says A1 attempts a pass, that puts them on offense. The ball is released from behind A1'a arc.

The point of the question is that it doesn't matter whether or not it's a try.

Nevadaref Sun Nov 02, 2008 08:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 548033)
The standard is that A is offense, and B is defense. Also, it says A1 attempts a pass, that puts them on offense. The ball is released from behind A1'a arc.

The point of the question is that it doesn't matter whether or not it's a try.

But it does matter if the ball has a chance to enter the basket from the throw. If A1 throws the ball from halfcourt and it hits B1 in the head, while he is standing under the basket, then bounces up and enters the basket from above, there is no way that three points should be scored.

The intent and purpose of the thrown ball/try rule for 3 points must be understood and applied correctly.

Scrapper1 Sun Nov 02, 2008 08:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 548102)
But it does matter if the ball has a chance to enter the basket from the throw. If A1 throws the ball from halfcourt and it hits B1 in the head, while he is standing under the basket, then bounces up and enters the basket from above, there is no way that three points should be scored.

You mean beside the fact that the actual rule says that 3 points should be scored?

Quote:

The intent and purpose of the thrown ball/try rule for 3 points must be understood and applied correctly.
And the rule should be written (or re-written) correctly.

BillyMac Sun Nov 02, 2008 09:03pm

Two, Or Three ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 548102)
If A1 throws the ball from halfcourt and it hits B1 in the head, while he is standing under the basket, then bounces up and enters the basket from above, there is no way that three points should be scored.

5.2.1 Situation C: A1 throws the ball from behind the three-point line. The ball is legally touched by (b) B1 who is in the two-point area; The ball continues in flight and goes through A's basket. Ruling: In (b), three points are scored since the legal touching was by the defense and the ball was thrown from behind the three-point line.

I'm confused ??? I know that in the Nevadaref case, the basket would not count if the horn were to sound before the ball went in the basket, because the try ends when it is certain the throw is unsuccessful, in this case by hitting B1 in the head, but I'm not sure that in Nevadaref case that the end of a try means that two points are scored instead of three?