The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 04, 2008, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHBBREF View Post
Player B12 is dressed and warming up with the team B, dunks the ball at the 12 minute mark, and is noticed by the officials.
Player B12 is suspended from participation in this contest for an ejection in the previous game and is therfore not elegible to participate in this contest?

or

Player A11 plays for the JV and Varsity. Is dressed and warming up A11 dunks the ball at the 12 minute mark, and is noticed by the officials.
At the 11 minute mark the JV coach informs the Varsity coach that A11 played too many quarters per state rules and is inelegible to participate in this contest?
My comment was aimed at what it means to us to determine eligibility. And I'm not arguing against asdf's suggestion, which is the most rational way to handle this that I recall being discussed.

When wrangling over the definition of team member, how do the rules define "eligible to become a player"? They don't. IMO, the only rules-based context we have for judging whether a kid in uniform is eligible to become a player is whether or not he is listed on the roster. If he's listed, he's eligible to become a player. If he's not listed, he's not. But if he's then added to the roster at the cost of a team T, he's now eligible.

The scenarios you propose all involve determinations of eligibility that are external to the rules of the game. We have no part in enforcing those. If external eligibility rules are violated, the enforcement also comes externally.
Old Tue Nov 04, 2008, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

Supposing that all coaches suddenly realize that it is the case that they can not make a player a team member so they don't get hit with a bench personnel T and an indirect. Then any time a player dunks they don't write his name in the book, add him later and take the team T.

Since the NFHS has said that they want indirects for this action, one of 2 things must be true:
a - officials penalize them as team members despite not being in the book
of
b - officials penalize for adding back into the book and then additionally penalize for the dunking as the team member is added back to the book.

I think b may be a stretch, going off of billymacs administrative T page. Is it too late to penalize this?
Old Tue Nov 04, 2008, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Just throwing out a possibility.
I think you have to whack them and enforce before the clock starts, and actually I think the suspended player should get whacked becuase he shouldn't be dressed and warming up - but that is another issue.

I am just seeing serious trouble if this player is added to the book in third quarter you correctly issue the T for that and you go back and add a second T for the dunk before the game.

I'm not convinced you are wrong I can not find anything either way for the moment. I am just seeing lots of trouble.
Old Tue Nov 04, 2008, 06:00pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Definition Of Team Member ???

"A team member is a member of bench personnel who is in uniform and is eligible to become a player".

How about this situation to confuse the issue even more?

2005 IAABO Refresher Exam

73) Squad member #45 missed the bus and is not present at the time the squad list and starting lineup must be submitted for team members. During the pregame warm up, the referee counts eleven team members for team A, but while checking the book, team A has twelve team members listed. Referee informs the coach that the squad member who is not present may not be placed in the book, even if he/she will get to the game late. Is the referee correct?

73) Yes: Rule 3, Section 2, Article 1, Rule 4, Section 34, Article 4.

Almost every one in my local board got this question wrong. We disagreed with the answer and citation then, and we still disagree with the answer and citation. If I recall, we got some type of explanation involving the definition of a "team member" involving a squad member being ready and eligible to play.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Nov 05, 2008, 12:18am
Official Forum Member

We discussed this one at length a couple of years ago and came to the conclusion that whomever came up with their interp was a complete freaking idiot.

PS. You posted that just to lure JR out of hiding, didn't you?
Old Wed Nov 05, 2008, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
"A team member is a member of bench personnel who is in uniform and is eligible to become a player".

How about this situation to confuse the issue even more?

2005 IAABO Refresher Exam

73) Yes: Rule 3, Section 2, Article 1, Rule 4, Section 34, Article 4.

If I recall, we got some type of explanation involving the definition of a "team member" involving a squad member being ready and eligible to play.
How do you know he is not in uniform and is not ready to play, he just isn't their yet????

If we go to the book and there are 15 in the book and only 10 warming up, are we supposed to draw lines through those that are not out there warming up??? Or do we leave them in their so when they come out of the locker room choosing not to come out till game time(whether it be they are late or what), we don't have to add them?
Old Wed Nov 05, 2008, 01:35pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
We discussed this one at length a couple of years ago
Here's the thread: Submitting the roster before the game

Bob's answer seems like a very good one to me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob
The rule says that all team members must be listed. It doesn't say that additional names can't also be listed.