The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Portland, Or.
Posts: 2
oden dunks, pulling himself up

can someone explain the rule on hanging on the rim? is that now legal? used to be you could only hang if in danger with other players below. now? everytime oden dunks he pulls himself up...legal?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 14,789
The rule is the same.

APPENDIX III / OFFICIATING GUIDELINES BR-181

Section 3. Hanging on the Ring
Players should not be permitted to hang on the basket ring in an
excessive, emphatic manner during dunks when there is no possibility of a
resulting injury occurring. The intent of the rule does not permit a player
to hold the ring and lift his or her body or legs, or in general, hang on the
ring for emphasis. This is especially true for a player who dunks the ball
on a breakaway or when no defender is nearby. Injuries, sometimes serious,
can occur as a result of hanging on the ring. Game delays also result when
damaged equipment must be fixed or replaced. When there is no obvious
injury circumstance to be avoided by hanging on the ring, doing so is an
indirect technical foul and shall be called.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Tue Apr 03, 2007 at 03:05pm.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 206
The officials, for whatever reason, have been allowing him to do it all tournament. In an earlier game (Sweet 16 or 2nd round, can't remember), he pulled himself up AND slapped the the backboard with two hands. No call.

Curious.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 14,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66duck
can someone explain the rule on hanging on the rim? is that now legal? used to be you could only hang if in danger with other players below. now? everytime oden dunks he pulls himself up...legal?
NCAA 12-146-36b
An All-American may pull up or hang on the rim in the National Championship game.
__________________
"...as cool as the other side of the pillow." - Stuart Scott

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 517
I think the more important thing is him hitting the ball away from the inbounder after a made basket because this effects the fast break.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 11:54pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: MSN
Posts: 224
The coaches tell the coordinators to tell the referees to not enforce it. Coaches also like to run onto the court whenever they want too.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 84
I know this is off-topic, but GREG ODEN PLEASE COME BACK TO COLUMBUS FOR ANOTHER YEAR!!
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 12:09am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Greater Indianapolis Area
Posts: 436
Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_Ref12
The officials, for whatever reason, have been allowing him to do it all tournament. In an earlier game (Sweet 16 or 2nd round, can't remember), he pulled himself up AND slapped the the backboard with two hands. No call.

Curious.
Um, he did that tonight, too!
__________________
"Be 100% correct in your primary area!"
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 08:49am
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66duck
can someone explain the rule on hanging on the rim? is that now legal? used to be you could only hang if in danger with other players below. now? everytime oden dunks he pulls himself up...legal?
There is an unwritten rule that says if you want to continue to be on the floor working this level of ball, you call the game, not you call the rules. I thought the referee's did an outstanding job, it was a pleasure to see a different crew, and even if they would have called the T for hanging on the rim, it would not have chanced the outcome. So IMO, the officials did a good job of not calling it.

One more thing, Oden is a big boy, maybe you need to actually see him in person to appreciate his size. You get all that motion going in one direction, you can't just stop in mid-flight. I waiting to see what the referee might call when one of those dunks kick a defender in the face. I wonder if they would have the balls to call it. I would give Oden the power dunk but he ain't slapping the ball away so the opponents can't inbound real quick. That will be a easy delay of game call.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 09:10am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
There is an unwritten rule that says if you want to continue to be on the floor working this level of ball, you call the game, not you call the rules. I thought the referee's did an outstanding job, it was a pleasure to see a different crew, and even if they would have called the T for hanging on the rim, it would not have chanced the outcome. So IMO, the officials did a good job of not calling it.

One more thing, Oden is a big boy, maybe you need to actually see him in person to appreciate his size. You get all that motion going in one direction, you can't just stop in mid-flight. I waiting to see what the referee might call when one of those dunks kick a defender in the face. I wonder if they would have the balls to call it. I would give Oden the power dunk but he ain't slapping the ball away so the opponents can't inbound real quick. That will be a easy delay of game call.
There's also another unwritten rule that says if you "T" him once, you probably won't see it again in that game or any other game that Mr. Oden may see you at. Just like if you give him a delay of warning the first time he knocks the ball away after the made basket, he probably won't be doing it again.

O/S when I read you I think of these two quotes from "A Few Good Men"... "Thank you for playing "Should we or should we not listen to the advice of the galactically stupid!" & "You're such a idiot (edited from coward), I can't believe they let you wear a uniform."
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 09:21am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Greater Indianapolis Area
Posts: 436
Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTheRef
There's also another unwritten rule that says if you "T" him once, you probably won't see it again in that game or any other game that Mr. Oden may see you at. Just like if you give him a delay of warning the first time he knocks the ball away after the made basket, he probably won't be doing it again.
I agree with ONLY this part of your statement!
__________________
"Be 100% correct in your primary area!"
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 09:56am
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Hell
Posts: 20,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
There is an unwritten rule that says if you want to continue to be on the floor working this level of ball, you call the game, not you call the rules.
Where may I find that written?
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 10:04am
9/11 - Never Forget
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 5,643
Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
There is an unwritten rule that says if you want to continue to be on the floor working this level of ball, you call the game, not you call the rules.
I gotta remember this, so on that rare occasion when I actually miss or blow a call I can just tell the coach - "I'm calling the game, not the rules!"
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 10:08am
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
...and even if they would have called the T for hanging on the rim, it would not have chanced the outcome. So IMO, the officials did a good job of not calling it.
I really don't think you're this stupid, but I'm steadily losing hope.
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 10:25am
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Hell
Posts: 20,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
I really don't think you're this stupid, but I'm steadily losing hope.
Never underestimate Old School. Just when you think that he can't post anything stoopider, he'll go right ahead and prove you wrong.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Oden needs to get Paid for This! jimpiano Basketball 28 Fri Mar 23, 2007 01:01pm
Warm up dunks bseybs32 Basketball 5 Fri Jan 12, 2007 05:54pm
Pulling the Trigger dddunn3d Baseball 5 Thu Apr 28, 2005 01:54pm
Pulling Player to the floor LepTalBldgs Basketball 4 Fri Jan 07, 2005 07:54pm
Slam dunks mike7 Basketball 1 Tue Feb 22, 2000 01:10am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:49am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1