The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

oden dunks, pulling himself up

can someone explain the rule on hanging on the rim? is that now legal? used to be you could only hang if in danger with other players below. now? everytime oden dunks he pulls himself up...legal?
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

The rule is the same.

APPENDIX III / OFFICIATING GUIDELINES BR-181

Section 3. Hanging on the Ring
Players should not be permitted to hang on the basket ring in an
excessive, emphatic manner during dunks when there is no possibility of a
resulting injury occurring. The intent of the rule does not permit a player
to hold the ring and lift his or her body or legs, or in general, hang on the
ring for emphasis. This is especially true for a player who dunks the ball
on a breakaway or when no defender is nearby. Injuries, sometimes serious,
can occur as a result of hanging on the ring. Game delays also result when
damaged equipment must be fixed or replaced. When there is no obvious
injury circumstance to be avoided by hanging on the ring, doing so is an
indirect technical foul and shall be called.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Tue Apr 03, 2007 at 03:05pm.
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

The officials, for whatever reason, have been allowing him to do it all tournament. In an earlier game (Sweet 16 or 2nd round, can't remember), he pulled himself up AND slapped the the backboard with two hands. No call.

Curious.
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66duck
can someone explain the rule on hanging on the rim? is that now legal? used to be you could only hang if in danger with other players below. now? everytime oden dunks he pulls himself up...legal?
NCAA 12-146-36b
An All-American may pull up or hang on the rim in the National Championship game.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

I think the more important thing is him hitting the ball away from the inbounder after a made basket because this effects the fast break.
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 11:54pm
Official Forum Member

The coaches tell the coordinators to tell the referees to not enforce it. Coaches also like to run onto the court whenever they want too.
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member

I know this is off-topic, but GREG ODEN PLEASE COME BACK TO COLUMBUS FOR ANOTHER YEAR!!
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 12:09am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_Ref12
The officials, for whatever reason, have been allowing him to do it all tournament. In an earlier game (Sweet 16 or 2nd round, can't remember), he pulled himself up AND slapped the the backboard with two hands. No call.

Curious.
Um, he did that tonight, too!
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 08:49am

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66duck
There is an unwritten rule that says if you want to continue to be on the floor working this level of ball, you call the game, not you call the rules. I thought the referee's did an outstanding job, it was a pleasure to see a different crew, and even if they would have called the T for hanging on the rim, it would not have chanced the outcome. So IMO, the officials did a good job of not calling it.

One more thing, Oden is a big boy, maybe you need to actually see him in person to appreciate his size. You get all that motion going in one direction, you can't just stop in mid-flight. I waiting to see what the referee might call when one of those dunks kick a defender in the face. I wonder if they would have the balls to call it. I would give Oden the power dunk but he ain't slapping the ball away so the opponents can't inbound real quick. That will be a easy delay of game call.
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
There is an unwritten rule that says if you want to continue to be on the floor working this level of ball, you call the game, not you call the rules. I thought the referee's did an outstanding job, it was a pleasure to see a different crew, and even if they would have called the T for hanging on the rim, it would not have chanced the outcome. So IMO, the officials did a good job of not calling it.

One more thing, Oden is a big boy, maybe you need to actually see him in person to appreciate his size. You get all that motion going in one direction, you can't just stop in mid-flight. I waiting to see what the referee might call when one of those dunks kick a defender in the face. I wonder if they would have the balls to call it. I would give Oden the power dunk but he ain't slapping the ball away so the opponents can't inbound real quick. That will be a easy delay of game call.
There's also another unwritten rule that says if you "T" him once, you probably won't see it again in that game or any other game that Mr. Oden may see you at. Just like if you give him a delay of warning the first time he knocks the ball away after the made basket, he probably won't be doing it again.

O/S when I read you I think of these two quotes from "A Few Good Men"... "Thank you for playing "Should we or should we not listen to the advice of the galactically stupid!" & "You're such a idiot (edited from coward), I can't believe they let you wear a uniform."
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTheRef
There's also another unwritten rule that says if you "T" him once, you probably won't see it again in that game or any other game that Mr. Oden may see you at. Just like if you give him a delay of warning the first time he knocks the ball away after the made basket, he probably won't be doing it again.
I agree with ONLY this part of your statement!
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 09:56am
In Memoriam

Quote:
There is an unwritten rule that says if you want to continue to be on the floor working this level of ball, you call the game, not you call the rules.
Where may I find that written?
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 10:04am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
There is an unwritten rule that says if you want to continue to be on the floor working this level of ball, you call the game, not you call the rules.
I gotta remember this, so on that rare occasion when I actually miss or blow a call I can just tell the coach - "I'm calling the game, not the rules!"
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 10:08am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
...and even if they would have called the T for hanging on the rim, it would not have chanced the outcome. So IMO, the officials did a good job of not calling it.
I really don't think you're this stupid, but I'm steadily losing hope.
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 10:25am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
I really don't think you're this stupid, but I'm steadily losing hope.
Never underestimate Old School. Just when you think that he can't post anything stoopider, he'll go right ahead and prove you wrong.